just installed new wd 1tb black in my pc as a second drive

the bios sees it no worries but windows doesnt

does it need to be formatted for win 7 to see it?and can it be done from win7 even if it doesnt see it

and no it doesnt show anywhere in win that i could see at all

i dont think ive had to format a hdd without doing a win install for 5 years:P

just installed new wd 1tb black in my pc as a second drive

the bios sees it no worries but windows doesnt

does it need to be formatted for win 7 to see it?and can it be done from win7 even if it doesnt see it

and no it doesnt show anywhere in win that i could see at all

i dont think ive had to format a hdd without doing a win install for 5 years:P

control panel > Admin tools > computer management

Drill down to disk management

Under disk management you'll be able to see the unpartitioned space.

Microsoft link with step by step instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-disk-partition

Edited by spaced

sweet

i guess it would be too easy if they just let you see it when you open my computer and right click format:P

thanks for the help

sweet

i guess it would be too easy if they just let you see it when you open my computer and right click format:P

thanks for the help

Um you can't format till you have a partition dude and without a partition it has no drive letter so it won't show up in windows explorer.

However it would be handy of Windows did a "oh look new hard drive" then pop up a box saying "hey I found a new hard drive that does not have a partition, would you like to partition and format it?"

Um you can't format till you have a partition dude and without a partition it has no drive letter so it won't show up in windows explorer.

However it would be handy of Windows did a "oh look new hard drive" then pop up a box saying "hey I found a new hard drive that does not have a partition, would you like to partition and format it?"

like Windows Home Server does...

like Windows Home Server does...

Ah does it? Haven't had to add a new drive to WHS yet.

If it is a SATA drive it show up when you connect it, thats if you hot swap it, or am I wrong?

If it is a SATA drive it show up when you connect it, thats if you hot swap it, or am I wrong?

Only if it is already partitioned. No partition= nothing to show up.

Yeah, either way a new drive needs to be initialised in Computer Management/Disk Managament then Paritioned, formatted and a drive letter assigned to it.

Also for future reference if a drive disapears on you and it's connected, check out Computer management/Disk Mangement and check that it has a drive letter assigned to it. I had a problem awhile back when a drive lost it's drive letter and dissapeared. Once assigned a letter it was fine again.

I remember the first time this caught me.........I spent hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrong!

It's not the best is it lol. I was stressing heaps when it happened to me, i had a tonne of other peoples stuff on the drive along with irreplaceable stuff of my own >.<

I've got a similar problem, I picked a new HDD at a swap meet I've plugged it in, but BIOS can't detect it, I've turned off fast boot and flash screen but it doesn't seem to help, does any one know how to determine if the drive is fualty?

I've got a similar problem, I picked a new HDD at a swap meet I've plugged it in, but BIOS can't detect it, I've turned off fast boot and flash screen but it doesn't seem to help, does any one know how to determine if the drive is fualty?

Dude, make a new thread please.

Hijacking like that is not nice.