Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
robzy

A good example of a bad flash site

http://www.jimmalucci.com/

^-- The website who did the photos of the IDF girls I made a thread about in The Green Room.

The stupid flash site is bigger than my browser on a 1280x1024-screen is, and thus I need to scroll.

Ugh.

Rob.

Well, it's a large image so you'd be fucked either way.

What's really shit about it, is like most flash sites, there's nothing special that can't be done using xhtml and jquery or some other nice js library.

What's really shit about it, is like most flash sites, there's nothing special that can't be done using xhtml and jquery or some other nice js library.

This.

... there's nothing special that can't be done using xhtml and jquery or some other nice js library.

to say nothing of faster load times, smaller file sizes, effective seo, better accessibility, easier maintainence, etc, etc, etc...

i mean, i'm quite happy that flash has it's place - it just shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of web design that some people think it is.

on the one hand, you can do some very cool stuff with flash, but then how many people just hit "skip intro" instead of sitting patiently through it to get to the content, or get annoyed when the menu has to perform some wretched little song and dance each time a different page is selected?

/queue huge argument from the pro-flash guys...

Heh, I'm not so bad with flash myself =P~

I just think it serves a very small niche where you need lots of animation and interactivity. If the photo gallery was more interactive with 3D browsing and "flying" to images and stuff it'd be better, but I think that'd be a bit over the top - especially given it's web based and as you mention it all takes time to load.

Flash banners in particular shit me. Especially when they have intros that display on every page.

Then of course there's the "can't open this link in a new tab, 'cause, ya know, it's flash" deal.

i find theres alot of people here who really dislike flash. i don't know why.

both forms of web design have their pros and cons. but it must be part of the atomican bandwagon to be pro-flash-hater

flash sites when properly implemented can be the same size, etc as css/xhtml based sites. i'm sure after a short time googling i'll be able to find crap house sites from both sides of the fence.

i do sites in whatever i think or my client thinks is best for them and which i/they prefer. flash sites arn't all just bundled into one *.swf file. you can dynamically load things and have flash read and build galleries and menus by just reading an XML file. you set the inital ground work in flash and the xml file does everything else.

have to say tho that site is pretty poor, its so simplistic in nature that doing it without flash probably would've been much quicker!

flash sites when properly implemented...

and in reality, that is the true core of the whole 'flash-hating' issue - more often than not, flash is either poorly or incorrectly implemented (to be fair, though, the same principles apply to xhtml/css as well).

personally, my biggest gripe with flash sites is simply the load times on my pitiful 'net connection.

flash sites when properly implemented...

and in reality, that is the true core of the whole 'flash-hating' issue - more often than not, flash is either poorly or incorrectly implemented (to be fair, though, the same principles apply to xhtml/css as well).

This.

And as mentioned before, Flash is inaccessible, and absolutely unneccessary in most cases.

It's not an "atomican" bandwagon against flash, there's plenty of other people out there on the net including a lot of really, really, really big people who have the same views. Flash is great - when used for what it's meant to be used for. It doesn't have much of a place in general website design though.

I've done a heap of flash stuff too. I've done a dynamic flash site that loads stuff from a content management system, realtime multiplayer flash (as in, multiplayer over the net, not 2 people on the same computer), and am almost finished putting together a proposal for a flash game. That sort of interactive level that you need in games is great for flash. For flash cartoons - it's great. For websites - it's completely hopeless.

You can improve the accessibility by having all the content marked up underneath the flash and hiding it, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? It's really redundant.

My iPhone won't let me see flash...

...what a shame, guess I miss out on all the fun.

P.S. If you think Atomican's dislike flash, have a look in the mobile phone section where lack of flash support is commonly used when criticizing other people's phones.

... there's nothing special that can't be done using xhtml and jquery or some other nice js library.

to say nothing of faster load times, smaller file sizes, effective seo, better accessibility, easier maintainence, etc, etc, etc...

i mean, i'm quite happy that flash has it's place - it just shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of web design that some people think it is.

on the one hand, you can do some very cool stuff with flash, but then how many people just hit "skip intro" instead of sitting patiently through it to get to the content, or get annoyed when the menu has to perform some wretched little song and dance each time a different page is selected?

You shouldnt really have an intro, unless its some kind of showreel, but then you can embed that in another page anyway.

The worst abuse of flash is sites that require it for navigation and worse don't provide an alternative.

Other than video, games there isn't really much use for flash in most sites anymore.

The worst abuse of flash is sites that require it for navigation and worse don't provide an alternative.

Other than video, games there isn't really much use for flash in most sites anymore.

To the tune of AC/DC's TNT...

'Cause I'm PHP

I'm dynamite

PHP

And I'll win the fight

PHP

I'm a power load

PHP

Watch me explode