Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

Looking for a decent phone

Okay, so its new phone time. I've been running with my Sony Ericsson W810i more or less since its release and it really is starting to get beyond its years. I've been running on Telstra for years only because in Tassie they really are the only networth with coverage worth using.. But now I've moved to Melbourne I am seriously thinking its time to start getting some value...

I'd like a decent phone, maybe its the part in me that wants something to show off, I have a decent enough job now and I can afford to start looking at something higher in the market. I have been looking at the following, they seem alright..

Sony Ericsson Satio

Nokia N97 Mini

I know there's the iPhone, its still a possibility but everyone has one, and I was never their biggest fan but I guess I'm looking for some honest opinions here...

Plan wise I am leaning towards Vodaphone, they really do seem to have the best deals, and coverage seems fine, Im living out Mitcham way work in Box Hill so its not like Im out in the sticks...

Anyone have one of these? Good Bad? Other suggestions?

vodaphone has some really good deals for HTC(android) based phones with net packages included. the application base for android is also quite extensive, nokia's ovi store for apps is getting there.. the n97 is a good little phone too but if you can hold out for the n9900 series phone is just a much better phone.

i currently own a e71 and thats been fantastic for me edit:

sorry *n900*

Edited by half-fix

I was checking out the N900 today actually online, looks like it could be quite good

I was looking at the HTC's but Vodaphone only run with the Hero. Which is a little old now I think

Edited by the_13th

the iphone is good but most people (like me) get caught up in the app store.

You see a new app and you're like "it's only $1.19' it's only $3.99"

And you spend a shitload in a week and wonder where the $50 card went.

I can't say the idea of apps is a turn off, there really are some fantastic ones out there.

At this stage it would seem that Apple wins in that area but as far as I know Symbian arent far behind, and Androids really getting up there too

it's not supposed to be a turn-off. also the battery life of the iphone is shiiiit, if you ay games on it you need to be near a charger

Yes, thats a major reason why I dont want one, also I just hate apple too much, I tend to be stubborn about them :P

I used to hate Apple, but I love my iPhone.

Depending on what you do for work etc, it could be the most powerful business tool that actually fits in your pocket.

I would check out Optus, they have some decent deals going, and frankly, have better coverage than Voda.

I just got a new Motorola Backflip (Android) which for now, is fantastic!

Keep in mind though, you were already gay, so the Motorola Backflip has no effect on you.

Seriously, my missus had to play with the new Moto-phones as part of her job, she hated them.

Personally I will never, and I mean NEVER touch a Motorola, with the Exception of ZTE in my experiance they have more faults than any other Phone brand...

I've found nothing about the phone which I dislike at this point.

Being on the android OS means that it's pretty much fully customiseable and is pretty damn easy to use, also, because it's not a Motorola made, OS, any issues caused in the past by it being a Motorola phone are pretty much irrelevant (unless you have issues with the motorola hardware, in which case, tell me what issues you have had, and I can advise if those issues remain).

I have found nothing about the android OS I like, except for twidroid having push functionality, but I seriously don't think my twitter client will effect my choice of phone.

The touch interface on every android phone I touched was useless, if you aren't used to iPhone touch capabilities, it is OK for most, but I have been spoilt.

I have found nothing about the android OS I like, except for twidroid having push functionality, but I seriously don't think my twitter client will effect my choice of phone.

The touch interface on every android phone I touched was useless, if you aren't used to iPhone touch capabilities, it is OK for most, but I have been spoilt.

What part of the touch interface makes it useless?

I can swipe left/right to go between any of my 5 shortcut windows, where I can have links to any of my installed apps or widgets.

The only thing I am missing at the moment is the two finger zoom, which will be available once the 2.1 android update can be applied to my phone.

I can also use the trackpad on the back of the screen to scroll around without having your finger in the way of the screen, and double tap to select something without have to use the front of the touchscreen again. (which sounds awkward at first but once you use it, it's surprisingly comfortable)

Don't let the hype of the iPhone turn you off. It is a really great phone.

Yes, the battery life is rubbish, but just about everything else is win. Only real niggle I have with it is that it's a bit snooty about what you can transfer to it as a USB device. Wants to use itunes or nothing. If you are so inclined, jailbreaking solves this.

I have Google Nexus One with a HTC Desire Android ROM. Pretty much the only type of phone that i will use in the future. Fully customisable and a really nice bunch of apps on the Android Market place.

Sorry for ressurecting my topic, but what I decided to do was buy a cheaper phone for now, one I'll be happy withim going to hold out till later in the year and buy something I feel good about... :)

So I've ordered myself a Sony Ericsson W595 for $160, basically just an upgrade of what I've got, and I'll use that until much later in the year.

I can swipe left/right to go between any of my 5 shortcut windows, where I can have links to any of my installed apps or widgets.

The only thing I am missing at the moment is the two finger zoom, which will be available once the 2.1 android update can be applied to my phone.

I can also use the trackpad on the back of the screen to scroll around without having your finger in the way of the screen, and double tap to select something without have to use the front of the touchscreen again. (which sounds awkward at first but once you use it, it's surprisingly comfortable)

Swiping my finger over the screen would be met with a few second wait before the page would change.

Pressing the icon for an app wouldn't open it, because android won't let you calibrate the touchscreen when you setup the phone, it knows better than I as to the placement of icons and menus.

That trackpad thing sounds awkward, but as you say, it would take getting used to.

My views on android as an OS are a little off compared to others as I haven't played with a nexus or desire yet, but I don't really want to.

I am happy to play with any device, but the HTC Magic and the HTC Dream were uncomfortable to use and had clunky, unintuitive interfaces that made me feel like touchscreens had never been used until then.

The HTC TyTNII and Blackberry Storm V1 were better to use as touch phones than the Dream or Magic and we all know the storm is shit.

highly recommend the htc desire

its android 2.1 (eclair)

not as many apps as the apple app store, but hopefully that'll chage over time

nice and snappy due to its 1gz snapdragon processor

very very nice, have had it for about a week now, and havent been able to put it down

telstra have exclusivity in australia till october though

once again, highly recommend it....go into telstra and have a play with one

highly recommend the htc desire

its android 2.1 (eclair)

not as many apps as the apple app store, but hopefully that'll chage over time

nice and snappy due to its 1gz snapdragon processor

very very nice, have had it for about a week now, and havent been able to put it down

telstra have exclusivity in australia till october though

once again, highly recommend it....go into telstra and have a play with one

one thing wrong with your post, mind you it's out of your hands.....

I cant believe it's exclusive to Telstra....They have the worst data plans ever. $10 = 150mb, someone who doesn't know any better will be receiving huge fukin bills.

My Desire, phone alone will chew upto 120mb per month just on background data. Thats not including surfing net, browzing Android market, etc.

Awesome phone....love it.

I'm selling my iPhone, went back to my Nokia 6280 :P

Done the same but for a HTC Desire.....will not go back.......it is not for me.

selling mine also, but locked to Telstra.

Swiping my finger over the screen would be met with a few second wait before the page would change.

Pressing the icon for an app wouldn't open it, because android won't let you calibrate the touchscreen when you setup the phone, it knows better than I as to the placement of icons and menus.

That trackpad thing sounds awkward, but as you say, it would take getting used to.

My views on android as an OS are a little off compared to others as I haven't played with a nexus or desire yet, but I don't really want to.

I am happy to play with any device, but the HTC Magic and the HTC Dream were uncomfortable to use and had clunky, unintuitive interfaces that made me feel like touchscreens had never been used until then.

The HTC TyTNII and Blackberry Storm V1 were better to use as touch phones than the Dream or Magic and we all know the storm is shit.

I'll have to give you my phone to have a go of :P

Most android stuff can be customised down to whatever you want.

I've put in a custom media player, theme system, sms system.

Occasionally I'll get a small stutter when attempting to slide the screen, but that's normally if I have alot of programs running in the background, which chew up the memory a bit, I downloaded the task killer to solve that issue so most of the time I have no speed issues with the touchscreen.

Doom and jdee, how are you selling them? ebay or other?

I am interested in a second iphone for dev/jailbreak playing...

mines just verbal...you know,asking friends of friends . since I updated the firmware to 3.1.3 it update the base band aswell, you can jailbreak it but not unlock it.