Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

N97 Mini vs Sony Ericsson Satio

This is a follow on from my other topic, I fugure I will get some more specific opinions if I do it this way.

I still like the look of the Satio as well just for the record.

I want a 'smart phone' with a touch screen. Id like to have GPS on it, and to play music through it, I see myself doing some internet browsing...

I've really been trying hard to resist the iPhone, I know its the in thing but EVERYONE has one, and I was never an Apple fan, the n900 looks like it might be a decent phone but I also suspect it will be a while/out of my price range...

Im most likely going to go for the Vodaphone plans, they are better value for money and their coverage is fine around Melbourne, more specifically Mitcham and Box Hill

Optus is the other option but if I boost myself to the unlimited they force you to pay for the extra internet pack which may as well come for nothing with Vodaphone

Have you looked at any of Google Android phones like the HTC Hero? The better and faster HTC Desire should be coming this year some time ...

Edited by Jeruselem

HTC phones are taking its time and android still seems a bit clunky in regards to how my mate was using android on his hero (but its the new kid on the block). The Hero looks great but not as polished as it could be. who knows how long the desire will take get its butt onto these shores. HTC desire looks like an updated nexus. I wish companies would start advertising how good the call quality speakers are - im sick of shitty soft voice calls.

If you can't wait too long there's the sony xperia x10 which runs on android 1.6. its longer than the iphone but just as wide. It looks quite nice but im sure it'll go for a little more than the n97 and satio.

There's also the nokia x6 but you can't upgrade the memory on that thing. My mate recently changed up from the n97 to the x6 and he basically says it the n97 with no keyboard but to me the interface looks a little different.

My preferences in smartphones tend to lean towards the blackberry phones and thus im a fan of the bold but the storm isn't something I'm totally hooked on as a touchscreen phone regardless of how much I rate the BB operating system.

I've seen quite a few people with the n97 and seems like a pretty handy all in one phone. Applications aren't a big deal for me but you do have the ovi store. I haven't played around with the satio but from the specs I've seen of it, it looks like quite a capable phone. You really couldn't go wrong with either one especially if you're not in the market for an iphone.

HTC desire looks like an updated nexus.

Actually from what I've read (read a review on gsmarena.com) It literally is the Nexas with just a few tweaks, but otherwise its literally the same phone. They replaced the trackball with a joystick type thing or something...lol

The Xperia 10 looks alright actually, I wasnt sure on release dates, I looked at the Hero and it really didnt look that great to me, I hear good things about HTC though. Blackberry's have never really been my thing though. The N900 is also a possibility but I can only hold off for a short amount of time, Id almost like to buy now, but I also dont want to rush and regret it.

I just played with an N97 Mini Dummy, keyboard looks OKAY but nothing flash, I think I'd actually have to get my hands on one to know for sure. I'll keep looking... N900 and Desire both are looking like genuine iPhone competitors (which is nice)

I'll feel so dirty if I buy an iPhone, after being on the hate bandwagon for so long, I feel like an idiot for even thinking of it :P

HTC desire looks like an updated nexus.

Actually from what I've read (read a review on gsmarena.com) It literally is the Nexas with just a few tweaks, but otherwise its literally the same phone. They replaced the trackball with a joystick type thing or something...lol

The Xperia 10 looks alright actually, I wasnt sure on release dates, I looked at the Hero and it really didnt look that great to me, I hear good things about HTC though. Blackberry's have never really been my thing though. The N900 is also a possibility but I can only hold off for a short amount of time, Id almost like to buy now, but I also dont want to rush and regret it.

I just played with an N97 Mini Dummy, keyboard looks OKAY but nothing flash, I think I'd actually have to get my hands on one to know for sure. I'll keep looking... N900 and Desire both are looking like genuine iPhone competitors (which is nice)

I'll feel so dirty if I buy an iPhone, after being on the hate bandwagon for so long, I feel like an idiot for even thinking of it :P

If you do get an iPhone (God forgive you), don't buy the current one. Wait for the new one.

The iPhone is a good phone, and not one to be ruled out.

Out of the two you are looking at, I'd suggest the N97 Mini. You get a nice screen, a good user-interface, and _support_

I was a massive SE fan, especially for the Symbian offerings back in the UIQ3 days, but their support was quite frankly horrid. Buggy buggy phones, with only the WWE debranded handsets getting any updates. *sigh

Nokia would be the way to go I think.

I was also a huge Sony Ericsson fan, still am but I've always trusted Nokia as well..

As awesome as the fiddling with Android sounds, truth be told I know for a fact I'll never do it.

I guess it might help is Im more specific about what I'd like, and ultimately iPhone does everything I want. I'd like to be able to listen to music on the train, I'd even be interested in playing around with the watching of videos (though it will probably rarely happen. Internet browsing will definately happen as will facebook (and atomic ;) ). Youtube possibly... But these things are all secondary, ultimately I want a phone, and possibly one that will actually last me 2-3 years. Actually the only 'fancy' feature that I would consider a must is the GPS, I've been in melbourne for 5 weeks, I wont be driving regularly but its something I'm going to need to own, why hire one every time I want to go somewhere? They perform fairly well in comparison right?

I guess I'm just so resistant on the iPhone because I was against them for so long. But they are a good phone, hell if you want to play and unlock it from itunes I know there is a software suite that'll do it, not that I can think of what its called (and Im unsure of its legality)

But the n97 Mini as far as I can tell will do all of this as well, so why lock myself in to a more espensive plan? Am I kidding myself?

The n97 I can get on a $49 cap plan, which Ill probably end up boosting up anyway, but atleast Ill have the option of going basck to the cheaper plan, the 3gs, I'd have to get on the $79 cap

Edited by the_13th

Its definately between the N97 Mini and the iPhone at the moment... Any one dates on the new iPhones release?

Its definately between the N97 Mini and the iPhone at the moment... Any one dates on the new iPhones release?

Current rumours are June 29th. But with secretive Apple, you never know.

Current rumours are June 29th. But with secretive Apple, you never know.

LOL... Well thats out then.

Unless I buy a cheapie $100 phone to get me through

Honestly, the next iPhone will probably be only slightly better, given our network isn't any faster than the current iPhone can handle (AFAIK), the 3GS would be a good idea, I see no reason to wait for the new one, but I already have a 3GS.

See if you can snag a 16GB 3GS for cheap and then get a next gen on contract later.

I guess the question I need to be asking is this...

What can the iPhone do, that the N97 and/or Satio doesnt..?

Biggest screen is one thing... I suspect the iTunes store will be superior? Anything else?

Edited by the_13th

I guess the question I need to be asking is this...

What can the iPhone do, that the N97 and/or Satio doesnt..?

Biggest screen is one thing... I suspect the iTunes store will be superior? Anything else?

Having never tried it with the Satio or N97, I wouldn't know if they can, but VPN and RDP on the iPhone is great, but useless if you don't need them on a daily basis like I do.

I like the touch interface on the iPhone more than the n97 as it is actually responsive rather than; "Yea, I know you just tapped a part of the screen to get some shit done, but I don't care right now".

I frequently VNC to my home machine from the can to get some music blaring whilst I shit and twit.

Exchange push on the iPhone works really well, faster than my blackberry over BES, so that says something.

I guess, the real answers would come out more if I knew what you want a phone to do.

I have never used the remote networking features, infact its something I've always turned off on XP (due to the early security faults).

I have heard the touch in the menu can be a little weird, having to double click the icons, but the menu is one touch, Im sure u'd get used to it but its still a little strange...

What do I want..? Specifically,

Phone (I dont see any reason why this would differ, except for the keyboard, which is neither here nor there as far as Im I'm concerned.)

GPS (could be questioend)

Music (again, probably fairly even I suspect.)

Internet Browsing (questioned, size of the screen & response is something I suspect will play a factor in this)

Facebook (see above)

Maybe the occational video. (is something that could be questioned.)

Edited by the_13th

Right, let me address your list;

Phone; I am yet to have any network issues with my iPhone on Optus.

GPS; I don't use any GPS apps, but google maps works well for getting basic directions.

Music; It is that same iProduct menu, slightly revamped and still plays your music.

Browsing; I have found Safari to be my favourite mobile browser due to it being snappy, and working with every site I use (no flash can be a downer).

Facebook; Whilst I try to avoid it, facebook for iPhone is great and easy to navigate, whilst not taking away from the facebook feel.

Video; I watch video on my iphone constantly, whether it is a tech vlog or a TV series, I like having videos at my fingertips.

The keyboard on the iPhone is fantastic, shits on the storm and every WinMo tough keyboard I have ever used, the N97 having a hardware keyboard may win out a bit for you, but I frankly hate having a slide-phone (is why I went from HTC TyTN II to Blackberry for my work phone).

The hardware Keyboard isnt really a selling point for me but Im sure it'd come in useful. I'm pretty sure I'd get used to the touchscreen keyboards pretty quickly, the Satio doesnt have one..

Anyone know how the N97 Mini compares with the iPhone as described above?

Edited by the_13th

I have a N97 although I have used the mini and I must say they are great phones, best piece of portable tech I have ever purchased, they had a few teething issues with lockups etc when they first came out but they were sorted out a long time ago via updates.

The qwerty has no rival, many won't agree with me but I can literally type and drive and it feels perfectly natural, I am a chicken picker albeit a damn fast one so I can tap out a full text in 10-15 seconds easily with it, feels natural as

The screen is fucking sex for media too, I load all my revision 3 programs on it for when i'm out and about and bored

If you're wanting to play games, you're gonna want a keyboard.

Decent games, that is.

I've eliminated the SE Satio entirely (just for the record, Ie checked a few more reviews, no longer interested...

so its now officially the N97...

Giving in to the darkside which is the iPhone 3GS

Or waiting for the N900 or HTC Desire (which forces me to waste money on buying a cheap phone.) <--- unrealistic option..

Anyone got an idea of how the Three network compares with Vodafone's?

I believe since the buyout, they are one and the same, except three customers can roam to telstra (at a price).

For better network coverage, I would go for Optus unless you live CBD or close to it.

I'm in Mitcham/Box Hill so yeah I'm pretty well Metropolitan.

Optus's plans are also more expensive. I can get the same plan (including more) for $15 less because optus force you to pay for the data pack ontop of it where as the other two include a decent amount of Data already

The n97 does do the "flick" movement, I cant seem to confirm it you can do the "pinching zoom".

Maybe I shouldnt be so damned fussy, its no wonder I have been using the same damn phone for the last 3.5 almost 4 years

Edited by the_13th

Are you looking at iPhone specific plans?

I am pretty sure most of them include a decent whack of data.

Honestly, if the N97 tickles your pickle, get it, but I know one person who has one, and he hates it, he is actually looking at changing to an iPhone.

iPhone its going to have to be, N97 seems nice but its just not going to stack up..

The plan I am looking at is the "Unlimited" Plans, I only have to contract myself to a $79 cap for the 16GB 3GS but I'll boost it up.

With optus, to get that you also MUST suscribe to the 14.99 datapack.. I need the calls more than I need the data, but if Im paying $99 I damn well want some data too :P

As much as I hate myself for it right now.. You guys are right, I have to go for the iPhone, if I get a cheaper alternative I'm going to regret is down the line

The other option was to put up with my prepaid for a few more months, BUT that meansd I have to waste money buying a new phone. And it doesnt really sound like the new one will be anything HUEG when it comes to upgrades anyway

No video calls on the iPhone IS a downer, I had been looking forward to playing with them.

Thats probably the ONLY advantage to the N97, that would have been a nice addition