bolt_krank

Android programmers

Been doing Java dev for a while and have switched to Android apps for something new. Just wondering if anyone else here is doing stuff on Android at the moment.

I'd like to take a stab at it... wanna post a 'where to start' guide?

I'll probably get a Nexus One soonish, but do you need one, (can you simulate Android on a device)?

I was doing some stuff for Android a little while back, but it was very low-down stuff and I never actually ended up compiling anything for it.

And yes Periander, you can simulate Android on a PC. The SDK has all the tools you need.

Rob.

That SDK is pretty slick. I had it in to Eclipse and up and running pretty quickly. Before you know it, my little AVD was saying hello world to me. :P

I was very impressed with the setup time of an android dev environment. From go to hello world in 20minutes (especially since I'd spent the previous 4 hours setting up a VS2010 environment).

Need to get my hands on the new HTC phone (the one that is basically the Nexus One but with a few improvements).

I've got android-x86 running on an via epia board with touch screen etc. Doesn't perform to bad, but I'll need to do a custom kernel build for this machines hardware.

I just bought a HTC Dream specifically for this purpose but have yet to try it out. If its as easy as you guys are making it out to be I might try and fire it up when I get home this afternoon.

BORRRING.

You bumped this with that line? Dude, seriously you know better then this. Please don't do it again.

Yeah, I was / am into Android. I wrote an app to show the next three arriving trains in Melbourne, but I haven't put it on the market...

Yeah, I was / am into Android. I wrote an app to show the next three arriving trains in Melbourne, but I haven't put it on the market...

I've just put Android on my HTC Diamond (Dual booting with windows 6.1); just in case I end up wanting to do some Android development...

So, not right now, but possibly soon.

Heh, probably a good move, the train guys in Melbourne assert that their timetable info is copyrighted information, not in the public interest :)

I've been fiddling with android ROM development, hunting bugs in Cyanogenmod and coding fixes. Haven't tried for App development, mostly cos it's java, with which I have a checkered history, and also because I have little imagination in thinking up apps I would code, someone should commission me to code up something :)

Heh, probably a good move, the train guys in Melbourne assert that their timetable info is copyrighted information, not in the public interest :)

Actually, I think the data is now on the Victorian Government website (although I downloaded it from Metlink Melbourne)

I've been fiddling with android ROM development, hunting bugs in Cyanogenmod and coding fixes. Haven't tried for App development, mostly cos it's java, with which I have a checkered history, and also because I have little imagination in thinking up apps I would code, someone should commission me to code up something :)

Just give Java a go! I picked it up pretty easily, and you sound like you know a thing or two :)

Well, I've tackled app development, and here's my app:

http://drifter.anu.edu.au/android/GPSPeedo.apk

It's a green 7segment display of your current speed, with HUD mode and unit selection, pretty simple. Works fine on my HTC Magic and the AVD emulator.

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It might be on the Market one day, Ad supported :) Was a bit of fun, hope you enjoy!

I will be involved soon, once I get my android phone. Already doing some preliminary research and getting the SDK up and running.

Interesting considering the apps I've seen that show this info. Perhaps they pay for usage rights though.