Genders

4x Western Digital HD, 1x different model.

Hi All

I've got software raid5 currently with 3x WD 250GB caviar SE. I'm changing to raid0 for more speed as I have a 1TB back up drive. I purchased what I believed was a fourth matching drive, couldn't remember exact model while in the shop.

I've got 3x WD2500AAkS caviar se16 and 1x WD2502ABYS WD RE3. Base specs are the same, sata2, 250GB, 7200rpm and 16MB. I'm concerned that I'll get issues with the different controller / firmware?

Am I right to get a refund or should I be OK?

Hi All

I've got software raid5 currently with 3x WD 250GB caviar SE. I'm changing to raid0 for more speed as I have a 1TB back up drive. I purchased what I believed was a fourth matching drive, couldn't remember exact model while in the shop.

I've got 3x WD2500AAkS caviar se16 and 1x WD2502ABYS WD RE3. Base specs are the same, sata2, 250GB, 7200rpm and 16MB. I'm concerned that I'll get issues with the different controller / firmware?

Am I right to get a refund or should I be OK?

It will be fine, especially since it's software RAID.

In fact, it wouldn't even matter on a real RAID card.

The matching up of drives was really only just a precaution in the early days of home raid systems where people would put 2 different drives (a WD and a Seagate of different sizes) sometimes 2 different sizes of the same manufacturer woudl cause problems but this was only for hardware raid if i remember. in any case this was a long time ago so i wouldn't worry about it.

Brilliant

Thanks Guys, I've done a back up of my PC to image and also backed up my "My Documents" to my external 1TB drive.

This weekend formatting and changing to RAID0 and going to Vista Home Premium 32BIT SP2.

Now I know that I could be going to Windows 7, though my Vista was a free copy from a course and I'm updating my certifications to cover Vista and Windows 7 at the same time, getting experience on one and then going on to the other.

Yes, will be going to 64-Bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Vista Home Premium 32-bit is just a stop gap.