jubbing

SSD price versuses performance.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if its worth paying pretty much $2 or more per GB for an SSD. I mean Aussie prices are sky high for SSD's... its really annoying. I reckon it might pay off to wait a while for the price to drop. Shouldn't be too long now as they are quite in demand you know!

There is a heap of threads in here with people asking similar questions, it might pay to take a gander at those to get some idea on what we all think.

There is a heap of threads in here with people asking similar questions, it might pay to take a gander at those to get some idea on what we all think.

Ok thanks.

At the moment I would hold off till the prices come down. Unless you really need the speed taht comes with SSD's there isn't a point in spending the extra money on one just yet

Windows 7 home premium here on a 60gb OCZ agility series. And I have to say YES it is worth it ! Everything I run on the drive, including booting, runs so fast now. So IMHO it is worth the price.

Edited by bowiee

What type did he get you?

Its a Kingston V+ series. While not the greatest of the bunch I'm certainly not complaining.

As for what he wants in return.... only time will tell. *shifts uncomfortably in chair*

Edited by chapps

4xWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB's in RAID 0 gives 398MB/s via HDTACH at a cost of $196... SSD's are about 250MB/s, $199 for 40GB, and while the access speed is a LOT faster than a HDD (7.3ms with mine to 0.1ms with an SSD) still you cant argue with throughput XD

What type did he get you?

Its a Kingston V+ series. While not the greatest of the bunch I'm certainly not complaining.

As for what he wants in return.... only time will tell. *shifts uncomfortably in chair*

What's wrong?

Is something puckering?

4xWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB's in RAID 0 gives 398MB/s via HDTACH at a cost of $196... SSD's are about 250MB/s, $199 for 40GB, and while the access speed is a LOT faster than a HDD (7.3ms with mine to 0.1ms with an SSD) still you cant argue with throughput XD

i bet you can't boot windows as fast as my 220mb/s

i bet i could.

except i use my awesome flash devices for things other than e-wang of boot times.

17 seconds from power to playable o.o I definitely would notice the difference with an SSD inside windows though, still $196 for 2TB vs $199 for uber quick 40GB...

But good score with that Kingston V, hope he doesnt want too much from ya XD

Edited by Gamertech

(7.3ms with mine to 0.1ms with an SSD) still you cant argue with throughput XD

Throughput put is fine when data is sequential. As your array fills up and fragments thing will slow down a bit.

7.3ms that's pretty good for cheapish HDDs. Albeit 4 of them. My RAIDed dual 300GB raptors get 7.2ms and 213MB/s avg, 270MB/s max.

Will go SSD myself when they have 500GB+ at acceptable prices. But atm $/GiB isn't good enough quite yet.

After all thats been said, I wouldnt go SSD for mass data storage, ie. mp3, avi and so on. Its just not critical to store that kind of stuff on a SSD. I did a lot of research before purchasing my present SSD. What I found is that my OS drives rarely went over 120GB to begin with, and thats a lot of space for applications and such. Those files I listed above do not need the performance given by a SSD. From my point of view, if your load times, for OS, critical applications, games and such, are critical to you, then I suggest the SSD as a way to increase performance without going into a massive upgrade, which I might add doesnt do much for the bottleneck that regular HDDs still will be even with the top of the line system. I have a friend who installed a SSD into his system and saw massive decrease in OS and games load time.

The question everyone has to ask themselves when purchasing one is, "Is it important enough for me to go to a SSD considering the cost?" If it isnt, and you can live with big load times, then you really shouldnt even be considering it. Otherwise, go get one. Its the best upgrade you can do to your system without upgrading your entire system.

After all thats been said, I wouldnt go SSD for mass data storage, ie. mp3, avi and so on. Its just not critical to store that kind of stuff on a SSD. I did a lot of research before purchasing my present SSD. What I found is that my OS drives rarely went over 120GB to begin with, and thats a lot of space for applications and such. Those files I listed above do not need the performance given by a SSD. From my point of view, if your load times, for OS, critical applications, games and such, are critical to you, then I suggest the SSD as a way to increase performance without going into a massive upgrade, which I might add doesnt do much for the bottleneck that regular HDDs still will be even with the top of the line system. I have a friend who installed a SSD into his system and saw massive decrease in OS and games load time.

The question everyone has to ask themselves when purchasing one is, "Is it important enough for me to go to a SSD considering the cost?" If it isnt, and you can live with big load times, then you really shouldnt even be considering it. Otherwise, go get one. Its the best upgrade you can do to your system without upgrading your entire system.

+100

exactly!

I've found that 128G is ample, I'm running a software RAID_0 array (2x 320G HDD's) for the remainder of my apps and games - it gave my system, which was already pretty fast, a big kick up the arse.

I don't regret the purchase at all......I couldn't go back now.

+100

exactly!

I've found that 128G is ample, I'm running a software RAID_0 array (2x 320G HDD's) for the remainder of my apps and games - it gave my system, which was already pretty fast, a big kick up the arse.

I don't regret the purchase at all......I couldn't go back now.

+101

I have an SSD in mind for an upgrade in the future. But it will only be for my OS, and installed applications. My games are just fine on HDD's, and their load times don't bother me in the slightest. But fast, sleek operating system performance is all I have in mind.

at some point i WAS looking at a g.skill falcon 2 128gb for roughly $400. its the price tag that made me go nuh-uh. im happy to wait, hell ill just grab a 300gb Raptor or 1tb black (in this case a 7200rpm notebook hdd replacement instead) if i want some load time reduction. happy to stowe the rest of the cash for when the time comes that SSD will be cheaper.

also on that note, how long do you guys reckon it will take for SSD to finally hit the mainstream price per gigabyte?

the G.Skill Falcon II is actually significantly slower than the G.Skill Falcon (trust me - read the tag)

;)

SSD's will never equal HDD's in price, because they're so much faster etc etc certainly they will get cheaper, as time goes on, but they'll never match the price per gig of normal HDD's - look at the Raptors - they were (just over) $300 for a 36g drive when they were first released (I know, I bought 2x of the fuckers!!!!)

they've come right down in price, but they're still significantly more expensive than a straight 7,200rpm HDD.....because they're faster

SSD's will be priced accordingly.

ahhh glad i didnt get that one then. g.skill has a 100gb phoenix that goes for $499 at CPL, assuming thats faster yet. hard drives arent as straight forward when purchasing as they use to be :P (not for me anyway)

i only have a WD 160gb OS drive and a WD 250gb storage drive in my PC atm. you can tell im apprehensive as to what to choose when i do come around to upgrading and i already spent my weeks wage on a new screen and case with some fans :P

Edited by alkahest

I used mine for a windows boot drive and a select few programs/games I used frequently. Everything else went onto a standard HDD.

When I was looking to purchase a 128 they were sold out everywhere locally, so I ended up dropping extra $$$ on a 256. Gives me a bit of extra freedom for games and such that I may not have had otherwise I guess. It was expensive, but I reckon the SSD's are worth it.

I think it comes down to if you have the money for the few seconds difference. It's not at all necessary. But it's pretty nice.

Mine died a couple days ago, I can't wait to get it RMA'd.