jubbing

SSD price versuses performance.

so is it the Sandforce or the Indilinx the one to go for?

I have been watching the ssd scene for a while and am still confused as hell

my use will be freshen my old 775 quad up a little with w7 and a ssd and my vista and raptor can go to the missus

so is it the Sandforce or the Indilinx the one to go for?

I have been watching the ssd scene for a while and am still confused as hell

You'll be happy either way you go.

Personally though I'd go Sandforce. With their "DuraWrite" tech the SSD should have an overall longer life time especially if you get one in 50, 100, 200GB sizes (ie have high over provisioning) though there are apparently ones coming out soon that will have regular 64, 128, 256GB type storage capacities for the same price (but at the expense of less over provisioning and thus drive life time).

Personally, I would go either or here. In terms of cost, there is no difference. However, what mark just brought up could play a role in your decision. Even the slowest drives on the market are still faster by a lot compared to even a velociraptor HDD. There is nothing to be confused about in this sort of situation. There are loads of reviews and information out there on SSDs. I suggest that you google it up and see for yourself. What makes the decision hard, imho, is that it is an expensive bit of kit. And as I have said a few posts before, SSDs make the best upgrades for the money you spend on it in comparison to a massive full upgrade of your system. Do your homework Betzie, and youll see what I have said is right :)

Going to be making the switch to Win7 on my main computer. So now might be a suitable time to get an SSD. I am in the market for either a 64GB or 128GB...

I've shortlisted three 64GB models... Crucial.com has one for $149.99 USD plus $25 shipping (International Priority). Works out to approx $200 AUD, which isnt too bad. 6GBP/s too.

Its competitors from local retailers are the entry level Kingston V Series for $180ish (which a recent PC Authority review found to be relatively slow) and the ADATA X81 for $190ish.

I'd expect the Crucial model to have the best performance, as there is some really impressive review results for the same series' 256GB version.

Also interested in seeing the best price/performance of the 128GB models, to determine if the extra spend is warranted. However I havent made it that far yet.

Anyway, I'll sleep on it, see what others have to say... But right now the Crucial seems best. Don't need big capacity for the time being.

Interesting, they claim read speeds "up to 355MB/s". After looking at reviews, they're not lying either!

I might get one at that price!

christ, that's fast!

looks at 128G Falcon....

me wants!

Another note on the Crucial store...

The shipping price remains the same even if you order more than 1 unit apparently. So you can save $12.50USD or more off shipping price if you buy more than one or get a friend(s) to chuck in :)

I'd be up for one of those Crucial 64gb drives

Most manufactuers 64gb drives are slower than thier 128gb drives but Crucial is still quoting 355mbs reads for the 64gb

GROUP BUY!

or if not, if anyone is placing an order let me know and I'll chip in for one myself :)

Mine is on the way lready. UPS Priority mail, so should arrive within the week.

Final cost drawn from my account was $206.50 AUD.

Mine is on the way lready. UPS Priority mail, so should arrive within the week.

Final cost drawn from my account was $206.50 AUD.

Make sure you post some pics and bench marks when you get it :)

It arrived this morning. Thats really excellent delivery time considering Aus post is slower sometimes.

The worse thing about ordering from overeseas is really just warranty hassles... Like if the item is DOA youd likely have to pay a fair bit to post it back to them.

*EDIT, AHCI ENABLED SECOND RUN INFO BELOW FIRST RESULT SCREENSHOT*

OK, so below is my first read speed benchmark using HD Tune.

Its only like 200Mb/s, so I think I may have wrong settings.

Maybe its the SATA port I chose on the motherboard (SATA2_3 port, Gigabyte EP43-US3L).

Am using SATA 3Gb/s as my motherboard doesnt support 6Gb/s.

Maybe because its not running in AHCI mode...?

Windows performance evaluator thing achieved a 7.3 score for the Primary Disk.

Windows boots in approx. 25 seconds.

The firmware that came preinstalled on the drive was the 0002 version, which is the most recent update, and this was indicated on the SSD's physical label (the sticker on the drive itself).

To make sure all my settings were correct for best performance, I followed this tweak guide posted on the G.Skill forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=913

This is on a fresh install of Windows 7, but with latest Windows updates applied (and the SSD optimization tweaks obviously).

Posted Image

OK... So I have now done a second run, with pretty much the same result.

I enabled AHCI without ruining my Win7 install by using a regedit tweak.

Once enabled and detected in device manager, I then updated to the latest AHCI Intel driver which I downloaded from Gigabyte.

However, the result was the same. And AHCI mode causes the BIOS to load slower, as it performs a drive scan.

Posted Image

And also here is the File Benchmark result, at 512MB setting. I also tried the 2MB setting, with pretty much the same results.

Posted Image

Edited by TrueFlag