Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Jeruselem

Bad news for folks who want a HTC desire

I thought they were locked to telstra

Depends who you buy it from, obviously the ones sold by Telstra will be like that.

There's no "obviously" about it, Telstra don't lock postpaid handsets (including those purchased outright).

I forgot mention "on a plan" when I typed that.

unfortunately not, the phones are unlocked but still full of Telstra crap. Called HTC and a stock firmware/rom wont be out untill the Tesltra exclusive rights thingy has expired.

Cyanogenmod >:D

Seriously though, apparently the Desire has been rooted, so you should be able to stroll through and delete all of Telstra's rubbish.

Edited by SquallStrife

I thought they were locked to telstra

Depends who you buy it from, obviously the ones sold by Telstra will be like that.

There's no "obviously" about it, Telstra don't lock postpaid handsets (including those purchased outright).

Really! Then explain why my iPhone purchased outright from telstra is locked.........

unfortunately not, the phones are unlocked but still full of Telstra crap. Called HTC and a stock firmware/rom wont be out untill the Tesltra exclusive rights thingy has expired.

Cyanogenmod >:D

Seriously though, apparently the Desire has been rooted, so you should be able to stroll through and delete all of Telstra's rubbish.

Read about that.

I thought it was for the nexus and droid = no Sense UI?

The iPhone is locked when sourced from every Australian carrier, so I assumed most people would understand the exception... :)

I'll reiterate my post: Telstra (and Optus for that matter) don't lock postpaid or outright handsets with some limited exceptions (such as the iPhone or Hiptop handsets).

Read about that.

Yeah, I don't know if Cyanogen has done a firmware for the Desire yet, but I have read that people have retro-fit their N1s, Droid and Milestones with SenseUI by ripping it out of HTC ROMS. Not sure on the legality or practicality, but apparently it's possible.

Besides, even if no replacement firmware is available, you can still root the device, and you should be able to use adb to carefully pick out the Telstra related stuff.

In other news, people have already ported Froyo to the Dream and Magic. :D

Read about that.

Yeah, I don't know if Cyanogen has done a firmware for the Desire yet, but I have read that people have retro-fit their N1s, Droid and Milestones with SenseUI by ripping it out of HTC ROMS. Not sure on the legality or practicality, but apparently it's possible.

Besides, even if no replacement firmware is available, you can still root the device, and you should be able to use adb to carefully pick out the Telstra related stuff.

In other news, people have already ported Froyo to the Dream and Magic. :D

My Nexus One has a modaco HTC Sense UI on it in place of the original Android ROM. The Froyo builds are only alpha's at this stage. Stable builds expected much later say in Mid June or so.

I'm waiting for the new iPhone release then I'll make a decision between the two. Not long to wait...

I'm waiting for the new iPhone release then I'll make a decision between the two. Not long to wait...

Indeed, it's going to be an exciting couple of weeks for tech. D conference is on today with Jobs, Balmer and Zuckerberg making presentations, and then WWDC next Wednesday.

I am very satisfied with mine a great upgrade from iphone..

Only one problem.. No good leather cases available anywhere. I have checked overseas on line stores ebay etc etc.. nothing comes close to matching the Belkin leather iPhone case I had.. It needs a spring belt clip (not those stupid detachable round ones) and an open front (no flap) and they simply don't exist as far as I can tell. If anyone has a good leather case or knows where to get one let me know please!~

There is also a new superior HTC coming out around Christmas with a 8mp camera incase anyone want's to wait.

There's a superior HTC phone out every other day. :P

The only HTC phone I'm enthusiastic about is the Evo 4G, however it's only CDMA. I would have bought a Desire, but it shares the same crappy touch controller as the Nexus, so I'm reluctant.

I actually don't notice any problems with the touch recognition, I have seen complaints tho elsewhere too..

The only design i have a problem is the optical track ball I sometimes accidentally swipe over it without paying attention, but I am learning slowly to avoid it..

Touch recognition is fine with one finger, and ridiculously bad with two. As an Android dev, I want a platform that's able to track two fingers without getting confused. For those who are wondering what I'm on about:

Ah that's why I haven't noticed it, the only time I use 2 fingers is when zooming and it seems to be fine in that situation but I could see this being frustrating for people that want to make constructive use of multitouch.

I notice the contrast of the Motorola screen seems superior can make out the lines clearer in his demo.

Edited by Bundy

That's what I was thinking. I get the same symptoms on my HTC Dream, but pinch zoom is the only multitouch gesture I do, and it detects that motion just fine.

it is as if it only supports pinch-zoom

the video makes it look like it has a hard time tracking two fingers, but can tell how far apart they are somehow.

Yeah, it's a shitty controller. HTC fixed it in the new phones.

When you say 'new phones', does that include the Desire?

Whats the big disappointment with it being released on Telstra?

They have a fast network and have introduced competitive cap plans into the market. Desire free on the 79 cap.

Seems like they are trying to make some positive changes since David Thodey took over. Just a shame they are so far behind.

And no they are not the only Network looking at rolling out 4G.

Are these phones good and worth getting.

Are these phones good? yes they are

Are they worth getting? Depends if your an app junky or not. Not nearly asmany apps as iPhone but getting there. I turfed my iphone for this.

Battery life is about a 1.5days (thats not crunching apps left right and centre). general phone, alarm and sms, check weather and facebook maybe twice a day.

Depending on your apps you install/how you configure them up, you'll need a biggish data plan, above 250mb.

Hey :)

Given that you turfed your iPhone, how did you go getting your protected iTunes media across onto the Desire? I'm *very* tempted to switch, but with ~1700 songs in iTunes I'm kinda locked into iPhone.

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Smurf

Edited by binarysmurf

Are these phones good and worth getting.

Are these phones good? yes they are

Are they worth getting? Depends if your an app junky or not. Not nearly asmany apps as iPhone but getting there. I turfed my iphone for this.

Battery life is about a 1.5days (thats not crunching apps left right and centre). general phone, alarm and sms, check weather and facebook maybe twice a day.

Depending on your apps you install/how you configure them up, you'll need a biggish data plan, above 250mb.

Hey :)

Given that you turfed your iPhone, how did you go getting your protected iTunes media across onto the Desire? I'm *very* tempted to switch, but with ~1700 songs in iTunes I'm kinda locked into iPhone.

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Smurf

99.9% of my media I had in iTunes was imported from mp3's I had ripped from my collection .

I just dragged and dropped the existing mp3's into a folder I created on the sd card

Got my Desire today.

Very happy with it. Everything I've tried to do so far has been quite simple.

My stereo bluetooth headset works fine, even the call and music controls work properly. It found my music easily enough.

Went for the clean slate and customised each screen to how I wanted it. Sure there's telstra apps there, but I don't need to display them.

One very happy customer.