Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Jeruselem

Bad news for folks who want a HTC desire

Got my Desire today.

Very happy with it. Everything I've tried to do so far has been quite simple.

My stereo bluetooth headset works fine, even the call and music controls work properly. It found my music easily enough.

Went for the clean slate and customised each screen to how I wanted it. Sure there's telstra apps there, but I don't need to display them.

One very happy customer.

Sweet as mate...........what apps have got installed so far??

Got my Desire today.

Very happy with it. Everything I've tried to do so far has been quite simple.

My stereo bluetooth headset works fine, even the call and music controls work properly. It found my music easily enough.

Went for the clean slate and customised each screen to how I wanted it. Sure there's telstra apps there, but I don't need to display them.

One very happy customer.

awwww!

mine is on the way

Sweet as mate...........what apps have got installed so far??

3G Watchdog. A must-have app and it's free. It will monitor your data downloads and warn you when you're near your quota.

Juiceplotter. Monitors battery life

Dolphin Browser HD (but I haven't tried it yet).

Facebook for Android.

Layar Browser.

The others are just little games that I'm most likely going to remove.

There's more apps I need to find and try though. Many suggestions from friends already.

I'll be going down the Desire path myself.

After going back and forth between it and the iPhone I finally decided on the Desire, based on :

* price - there will probably be around $400 difference

* shell - I don't like the idea of glass on both sides. Kind of like black paint for a car, they look awesome when new, but shit when dirty/scratched which is most of the time. I don't see how the glass can take as much punishment as the back if the Desire

The reception issue with the iPhone didn't phase me and while it has a better screen, the Desire screen is good enough for me.

I just need to source where I can get it cheap outright.

I've had my Telstra desire for about 2 months now, 2nd day I got it I flashed it with a Generic Euro firmware (as the telstra rom is about 5 revisions behind and full of bloatware)

only thing you need to do it is a Goldcard, get a coldcard tool to make one for you, use the signed HTC generic rom, hey presto, latest software version, no telstra bloatware ect ect.

I'm using it on virgin mobile, coverage is terrible but im on a good plan (certainly better than telstra's Eleventyone$$ for 200mb)

this isn't a hacked rom or rooted or any of that jazz, just simple signed HTC generic. now just hanging for 2.2!!

Also anyone looking you can get screen protectors for like $5 from Paddys markets :), and good desk cradles from ebay pretty cheap too!

Oooh Sweet. I've been looking at the Goldcard myself so that I can get rid of the Telstra bloatware

is there a 'goldcard' 101? I think I get the idea, but I'm not sure of the legality, warranty implications, risk, will my balls fall off, etc.

You just add some data to the blank space before the first partition on the SD card. The data is based on the card itself, it doesn't use any values from the phone.

Having problems creating my Goldcard.

the ADB is not finding my device.

From what I can find, Sandisk microSD cards seem to fail quite a bit.

People are having success with Kingston brand cards though.

morris, I did that step without ADB.

Go to the Market, download a Terminal Emulator, and do it through there. You don't need superuser access, so you can do it on a non-rooted phone.

Then use the same command in the terminal, just without adb in front.

ooooh. I'll try tonight :D

Tried the first command in the instructions: Permission denied :(

Was that on "cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid" ?

Oh, you need to remove "adb shell" not just "adb". My bad.

Edit: Yeah, just tried it then. The "shell" command will give you permission denied. Sorry about that.

Edited by SquallStrife

I'm working on my Desire, too. That terminal emulation did the trick, thanks! Goldcard made. Now on to the rest of it.

(You can see just how much I actually want to do work today) :P

Edit: Got it working, AND got 2.2 installed. And a new radio update. I'm really pleased with it. Morris, ping me later and I'll walk you through it. :)

Edited by bofhgirl

Thanks SquallStrife. Goldcard made.

bofhgirl: I wish I could have done this instead of working today. But I'm home now. Let's do this!

Been using my Desire for about 3 months now...don't know how I ever got by without it :)

Think I'll be waiting until they officially push Froyo OTA though. Not sure how my warranty works with it imported from HK and all lol (will have to a read it again lol)

Edited by Oomph