Sign in to follow this  
scathach

Fire & Ice MkII

My hubby has given me the OK to build a new PC from the ground up :) *cue 3 hours bouncing round the house wooting*

so its out with the old:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD 64 x2 5200 @2.95mhz ,

4Gb OCZ 1033mhz DDR2.

Thermaltake toughpower 750w PSU.

2 x Leadtek Geforce 8800GTS G92 512mb @ 750mhz core, 975mhz mem.

2 x seagate 250gb & 2 Western digital 320GB in Raid 0.

Thermaltake Bigwater 735 water cooling.

ASUS DVD-RW

Cyberdrive DVD-RW

Win7 Pro.

All lovingly wrapped in a Coolermaster Stacker 830.

Sumsung 226BW 22" LCD monitor

And in with the new:

CoolerMaster HAF 932

ASUS Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 8GB 4x XMS2GB

Swiftech Apex Ultra Extreme Performance Water Cooling Kit

Corsair 1000W HX Modular powersupply

2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache

Corsair X64 SSD 64GB 2.5in Indilinx MLC

2 x Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB

Samsung SH-S223F 22X Speed Black DVD Writer

2 x Samsung XL2370 LED 23" Monitor

OCNZ Liquid Neon Light Kit, Red Lava Effect

OCNZ 5 Spread Lazer LED Light, UV Reactive

The only things being kept from the old is the pair of 320gb HDD's , my logitech G9 mouse & G15 keyboard the rest of the old Fire & Ice has been sold to one of hubbys friends lock, stock & overclocks.

Eagerly awaiting the email from DTConline to advise the Swiftech kit and Samsung monitors have arrived (DTC didn't stock them but were more than happy to order them in for me) so I can collect my pile of goodies and get building.

Watch this space for a build log.

Want more pics.

The CoolerMaster HAF 932 is an ugly mother fucker though.

hope that swiftech kit come with an AM# bracket for the CPU. otherwise email and abuse them they should send you one :P good looking build, pitty bout selling all the stuff already, so hard to find a stacker now!

psu is overkill and i probably would have gone with intel but its a nice build

psu is overkill.

Yeah probably uses not even 1/2 of what its rated for. Wouldn't mind another 5870 though will look good when its done.

Yeah, PSU is major overkill, but not a big price difference between the corsair 850 & 1000 watt, & gives me plenty of headroom, one PC smoked because of an overworked PSU going POP, sizzle, fzzzt is quite enough!

+ at the moment corsair are chucking in a free tool kit with the 1000W HX.

Posted Image

As for the AMD CPU, pure AMD fangirlism :p

I'm kinda sad to be parting with the old girl , especially the Mobo & Stacker, it is a case of awsomeness +10,000 but its hard to say no to an offer of 3K for Fire&Ice MkI.

just curious have you got the bits yet? you might want to get one of the new X6 processors and an 890FX board? scorptech has listed that new asus ROG board :P it'll go down sweet with that red theme you've got goin on!

Definitely a bit of a weird time to be going with such a system, when you have intel i3/5/7 and the new 6 core amd cpus out...might want to think about revising the build if budget allows.

Was tempted to wait for the new AMD X6's and and a Mobo to suit, but it may be a while before they trickle through to NZ and with the dollar starting to slide....also was a case of getting it all ordered before the other half changed his mind, 'cause he keeps rambling about Apple this and Apple that, and we don't want one of 'those' in the house do we!!*shudder*

Was tempted to wait for the new AMD X6's and and a Mobo to suit, but it may be a while before they trickle through to NZ and with the dollar starting to slide....also was a case of getting it all ordered before the other half changed his mind, 'cause he keeps rambling about Apple this and Apple that, and we don't want one of 'those' in the house do we!!*shudder*

fair enough. in captain barbosa voice: apple?!

Personally I'd hold off with the x6 CPU's for now until at least the 2nd revision comes out, and better motherboard support as well...but why not go the 965BE instead of the 955? You may as well get the top end of the current gen of tech.

Personally I'd hold off with the x6 CPU's for now until at least the 2nd revision comes out, and better motherboard support as well...but why not go the 965BE instead of the 955? You may as well get the top end of the current gen of tech.

id say cause its cheaper, and performs exactly the same when u increase the multi from 16 to 17.... free performance!

isnt there suppose to be a C3 95w version of the 955 and 965 out yet?

and yeah, getting ahold of a 1090T x6 will be $$ till they filter out into the market abit more

Edited by nobodyishere

Collected a big pile 'o loot this afternoon :) :) :)

Just waiting on the watercooling kit and the liquid neon which should arrive next week, but shes all go , running with the stock AMD cooler for now which i usually do anyway until i'm sure everythings running nicely before throwing in the H2O.

Fired up first pop, only one slight hitch from me not plugging in both ends of the DVD drive power cable. Ooops. *blush*

Now just have to set up my Raid array and tidy up the wiring and start planing location of lights and plumbing.

will be posting some pics soon.

The new beastie is up and running, the cooling kit has been swapped from Swiftech to a Coolermaster Aquagate as I got DTC to query the wholesaler to check for the required AM3 bracket and, yup nothing in the only kit in stock and no eta on a 'complete' kit from Swiftech so I'll try the coolermaster offering for a bit and see how it goes as DTC have said I can take it back no questions asked if not happy with it.

so time for some happy snaps

one pile of loot:

Posted Image

then the gloriousness of unpacking boxes of new PC bits :) Mmmm, the smell of freshly unwrapped hardware

Posted Image

one very empty HAF, the paper template for the mobo risers is a nice touch:

Posted Image

The Phenom in place:

Posted Image

followed by the stock heatsink for initial set up:

Posted Image

and then some DDR3 goodness:

Posted Image

complete with cooling kit:

Posted Image

Heatsink detail on mobo:

Posted Image

The 5870's tucked in:

Posted Image

nice looking build! you could build a watercooling kit from the ground up with an ek block? pc case gear have some good things goin round atm, could just get the drive radiator or whatever (the one that includes the bilt in pump) and mount it externally with a rad box and a decent cpu block. dont think your ghonna like that aquagate.. did you email swiftech about sending out an adaptor plate for the block in the swiftech kit? they might have snet one out free!

NOOOO. Not as ASUS motherboard... for the love of god not that.

you should have waited scathach so we could make you a better system for less money.

you should have waited scathach so we could make you a better system for less money.

no likey asus much mr. SceptreCore? the crosshiar III aint that bad.

love it.

hows the system going my new set up is going to be very similar?

no likey asus much mr. SceptreCore? the crosshiar III aint that bad.

Too many failures from ASUS... me no like no more.

All running smoothly and quietly, the only hitch was from me forgetting to connect the power cable for the DVD drive to the PSU, oops *blush*, passed the stress prime95 burn in test with flying colours and it is pure heaven to run all my games at Max eye candy. ( have Crysis, Dirt 2, WoW and Battlestations pacific installed at the moment), got an out of the box default settings 3Dmark score of 18,856, which I'm happy with at this stage as there will be lots of tweaking and fine- tuning to come.

loving eyefinity, at first I found the gap between the monitors disconcerting, but it didn't take long to get used to it and not notice the gap between screens at all. Might even give Doom 3 another run through and see if eyefinity makes Doom 3 more hazardous to the cleanliness of underwear.

some more in build pics:

Corsair SSD snugged into a Scythe bayrafter SSD 2.5" to 3.5" mount kit:

Posted Image

much likey of coolermasters tooless HDD mounts, things likethis make system building a breeze:

Posted Image

Posted Image

First switch on and we have ignition!:

Posted Image

needs some cable tidying to finish off:

Posted Image

Posted Image

post operation cable tie:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lovely... Gorgeous... Lovely.

My bro has the same case but without the window... it was such a joy with a case so big you can get your elbows into it when installing the tech. At one stage I thought perhaps I could fit in it too... :P

awesome case cant wait til the black edition version or the haf x... :P

build is looking sweet so far.

just alittle fyi: that fan cable on the cpu heatsink is looking a tad to close to the heatpipes.... dont let it touch it, or u will end up with a small amount of melted wire/plastic all over the heatsink......

found that out the hard way myself....

btw, whats ur temps like the the HSF attached during prime or any other heavy cpu stress tester?

mine hit thermal throttle at 62.6c with artic silver thermal paste @ stock, no amount of reseats made it go any lower for some reason...

Edited by nobodyishere

CPU fan was only temporary until the watercooling kit arrived, hit a max of 53' under prime 95 on air with an ambient temp of 20' from an idle temp of 35', have just installed the coolermaster kit and with an ambient of 15' idle is 20' and max temp 27' after a prime 95 run. Not to shabby a performance from the coolermaster kit, but I think the case is helping quite a bit as well as the case fans keep a decent breeze blowing through the innards so the radiator is getting plenty of cool air.

Edited by scathach