Sign in to follow this  
scathach

Fire & Ice MkII

Monitor set up:

Posted Image

the fans on the radiator were swaped out as they have green LED's which does not fit with my colour scheme, the replacement fans are Coolermaster 120mm Red LED 90cfm. I also used the mounting screws to tidy up the fan power cables:

Posted Image

Mounting the radiator, I later turned it round 180' to minimise tubing kinks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clearing the way for the reservoir and pump module, the front I/O was removed for the time being:

Posted Image

The CPU block in place, warning the springs on the mount are mighty powerful and are inclined to send the mounting bolts rocketing past your ears if firm pressure is not applied to the screwdriver:

Posted Image

Tubing installed:

Posted Image

Reservoir installed and filled:

Posted Image

A peek through the side panel window:

Posted Image

Nearly there, last task is installing some lighting.

looking good! isnt that radiator aluminium though?

Hubby spoted the apple stand at harvey norman last weekend and thought that one of these : http://store.apple.com/nz/browse/home/shop...mco=MTM3NDc3Nzg was the shiz.

I said it was a very nice if expensive door stop. Any way where do you put the watercooling kit ???

yea gw, in his mind its an apple thing anyone else wouldn't understand :P

NOOOO. Not as ASUS motherboard... for the love of god not that.

you should have waited scathach so we could make you a better system for less money.

no likey asus much mr. SceptreCore? the crosshiar III aint that bad.

Too many failures from ASUS... me no like no more.

*cue matter and anti matter colliding in the same thread*

I hate Gigabyte more then asus, at least with an asus board it just dies and thats the end of it, bloody gigabyte and their ultra durable quadrillion chip bios that causes random system activity and general pita boot ups.

looking good! isnt that radiator aluminium though?

probably, alluminium and copper in the same loop, nice example of a battery and oxidation :P

Yeah radiator is aluminium, so I'll keeping a close eye on it. Once the supply of watercooling bits improves in NZ I'll be swapping in a copper one or maybe get hubby to find one since he's a truck parts salesman, gotta be something suitable in the inventory.

*cue matter and anti matter colliding in the same thread*

I hate Gigabyte more then asus, at least with an asus board it just dies and thats the end of it, bloody gigabyte and their ultra durable quadrillion chip bios that causes random system activity and general pita boot ups.

I agree that Gigabyte aren't all their cracked up to be. But every time I'm fixing a computer it just happens to have an ASUS board causing the trouble. And sometimes they have some weird random activity. But once at the shop I was working at, we had 3 top end Gigabyte X48's.. DQ6 I think... all DOA.

Edited by SceptreCore

Made a start on the lighting,

I wanted a diffuse blue glow coming from under the HDD cage and made use of some scavenged bits.

for the lights, a puny and rather ancient 80mm blue LED fan was sacrificed for its 4 LED's that very handily had the LED's powered by a separate Molex connector. Some leftover tubing from the watercooling was cutoff into 2cm (ish) lengths and two LEDS squeezed into each tube to make some spotlights.

Posted Image

A piece of ice cream container was used to make a diffuser panel (best excuse ever to buy ice cream):

Posted Image

The panel is a pressfit between the lower HDD mount and the bottom of the case:

Posted Image

Mounting the LED's on the lower HDD mounting, using twisty ties to allow a bit wriggling to line the LED beams up with the cutouts in the side of the HDD cage, once happy with the alignment I'll secure them with cable ties:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The finished effect:

Posted Image

To stop blue light being visble from the front, the LEDS's have been boxed in with some temporary black cardboard panels , which will be used as a template for making up something a bit neater from plastic or aluminium.

Next in will be the UV light and the red cathode to finish off the red and blue theme

Yeah radiator is aluminium, so I'll keeping a close eye on it. Once the supply of watercooling bits improves in NZ I'll be swapping in a copper one or maybe get hubby to find one since he's a truck parts salesman, gotta be something suitable in the inventory.

just get someone over here to ship you one, our express post international satchels are pretty cheap although our exchange rate compared to the NZ dollar might make you think twice about it lol.

At least our currency is faring somewhat better than Greece's!

Just dropped of the old Fire & Ice to its new owner, said new owner had not told his wife and kids about the impending arrival so 3 sets of jaws hit the ground when it was wheeled into their lounge (probably not helped by the rumble of castor wheels on a wood floor), followed by the soft patter of eyebrows hitting the ceiling when it was fired up. When I left the rapt new owners, their teenage son was gazing deeply into the innards, going "wow.........wow............wow......."

@ Antraman, you won't regret going down the watercooling path, the low temps and eyecatchiness makes the little bit of extra work & cost worth it . If you need help getting it set up, there's more than enough of us waterbabies lurking around the forums!

Edited by scathach

the aquagate + case looks like they were made for each other, only thing missing is a coat of paint on the inside but very nice nonetheless.

love the water cooling as with Antraman i am now inspired to go watercooling in the futute keep up the work :D

How do you get Fire & Ice? Is it just because of dominate Red and Blue colours, or is it just a name you've come up with?

THe name was inspired while browsing for a new desktop wallpaper, I found this one: http://dark.pozadia.org/images/wallpapers/...764-216667.jpeg, I'm mad about dragons and the blue/red colours tied in nicely, Perfect!

It also works well with a 2 monitor setup:

Posted Image

Lightings in, so the build is done.......for now :p

UV LED's and the inverter for the cathode tucked under the optical drive:

Posted Image

the finished beastie, photos don't do the lava effect cathode justice:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, I said I was going to give to the Coolermaster Aquagate the benefit of the doubt given the paucity of watercooling bits in NZ, and that benefit has just run out.

Just had to strip out the entire cooling system as the pump failed >:( grrr, mutter, and double mutter. Thankfully Asus Probe II started squawking as soon as the CPU hit 50'.

Looks like it leaked internally and the pump unit has shorted out as a result as the resovoir/pump module has that luverly burnt electrical smell wafting from it and when I tiped it back to drain out the last dregs of coolant, coolant dribbled from the bottom back corner (not from the inlet/outlet barbs), and a peek through the back confirmed droplets of moisture where they shouldn't be. So backto the stock AMD cooler for now *sigh* & it will probably be a long wait for swifttech to restock in NZ.

Dammit, was counting down the days of the mandatory TIM curing period so I could begin tinkering with some clock speeds.

Might just get a refund on the Aquagate and import the parts in.

TIM curing time is an urban legend, my cpu's are rarely given more than a few hours on stock settings.

like I said get someone over here to send you the bits from PCCG or Gammods.

What a bummer. Keep ya chin up. You might be able to get some stuff on eBay... if you can trust it that is.

Edited by SceptreCore

All sorted, DTC has tracked down from their wholesaler all the required bits from Swiftech and Dangerden to get the H2O flowing again. Only snag is some of it won't be landing here for a month.

Interestingly when I dropped off the dead Aquagate gear yesterday, DTC had just had another Aquagate returned that had been purchased the day before, as when the reservoir was filled water started pouring out the bottom of the unit! Eeek!

The guy at DTC was kind enough to grab the other returned one and do a demo, and jeez, do I wish I had a camera with me, this one had a veritable waterfall of water coming out the gap between the rear and bottom panel,as fast as water was going in it was coming out.

He is in the same mind as me, that the hoses inside the reservoir units have not been connected properly. Hmmm, a Monday morning/Friday afternoon batch??

Also have to give a thumbs down to Coolermaster for not responding to the email I sent on Tuesday asking if it would void the warranty if I opened up the reservoir unit to see if the internal hoses were connected properly as the warranty is vague about whether or not the unit can be opened for troubleshooting/maintenance, their website states they will respond within 48 hours to a query, and I haven't heard a peep. Oh well, it is coolant under the bridge now, since the replacement stuff isn't another Aquagate(floodgate?) :)

Yeah some Manu's don't respond to emails. I asked MSI when the 870A-G54 was going to retail in Aus, and they were happy to tell me, about mid June.

The force is not with me on this build :(

We just got home from a few days emergency house and dog sitting to find that no power in the PC room and a tripped circuit breaker.

So everything was unplugged and then plugged in one at time and the only thing that tripped the breaker was the computer, oh shit, shizle and fizzle. The PC is not firing at all, no mobo lights, nothing, not even a whiff of smouldering circuitry.

So time for the eliminate the dodgy component routine , so first up is nothing plugged into the PSU and the ATX power connector given the jumper wire treatment.

The power switch was flicked and the breaker tripped. So looks like the PSU is the naughty boy.

Verry weird considering the PC was shut down ( but not unplugged or the PSU switch flicked to off) before we left and there is a Belkin surge protector between the PC and wall socket.

Bit of a nuisance (spot the under statement!) as I was looking forward to some decent gaming after using my Eee for the last 4 days, so for the moment the Eee has pride of place on the desk and one of the Samsungs plugged in along with the G15 until the beast is back home, as its now at DTC, as they want to give everything a through check over / stress test and get replacements for anything that has been damaged, not just order in a replacement PSU as far as they are concerned they don't want me out of pocket replacing parts damaged by the PSU, regardless of whether Corsairs warranty covers damage done to anything plugged into it or not (and looking at the warranty, they have the standard 'not liable for consequential damages' clause).

But one thing that has happened with this build for the first time, is that I haven't not lost any blood or skin with this build so with no the traditional blood sacrifice to appease the gods of computer building perhaps that the root cause of the problems!

Yeah Corsair products aren't the all infallible tech that some here believe. Their PSU's are just Seasonics with their sticker. Don't get me wrong though Seasonic are top notch, and not the only manufacturer making PSU's for brands.

Edited by SceptreCore

Got my PC back this afternoon, new PSU in and judging by the spaghetti typhoon of cables in the case I say they have removed the innards for testing as they said they wouuld. But the guy who checked it over did apologise profusely for the mess and let me have a huge bundle of red and black cable ties + the set of cables that came with the replacement PSU even though I still have the leftovers of the set from the original PSU, so I've got spare PSU cables to Africa now :)

but I will be keeping a beady eye on voltages over the next few days.

Not to worried about the mess insaide anyway, as this weekend the case is getting gutted (again!), as I'll be giving the interior of the case a lick of red and black paint.

Tackled the painting today. The HAF is really easy to dismantle back to a bare shell, to remove the clips for the 5.25" bays just push them towards the back of the case and they will pop free, just be careful as there are springs and small parts that are just itching to disappear under the furniture.

After dismantling the PC, the PC room looked like the computer had exploded as every flat surface was covered with bits of case and components:

Posted Image

Used scotch tape (low tack and its easy to check if the tape has been burnished on properly) and some old copy paper to cover up every last millimeter that I didn't want paint on:

Posted Image

Painted the inside of the side panels Fire Red:

Posted Image

Satin black inside and out:

Posted Image

the front side panels are held on my 3 screws each:

Posted Image

and also 3 plastic tabs, undo the screws and push the panels down to set them free:

Posted Image

back together again, the two mesh blanking plates also got a squirt of red for a bit of contrast:

Posted Image

The camera managed to catch the ripple effect of the cathode, the bits of tape are labels to identify the drives so I didn't bork my Raid0!

Posted Image

Theres another couple of things I want to do but that can wait till the watercooling is back in (is it the end of may yet?!)