Sign in to follow this  
scathach

Fire & Ice MkII

I was tempted to do the whole thing red on the inside, but I decided it would be a bit much as the red I used is quite fierce on the retinas!

I was tempted to do the whole thing red on the inside, but I decided it would be a bit much as the red I used is quite fierce on the retinas!

You should have gone for a metallic red, or a deep rose.

Like the inside of this

Just found this.

Edited by SceptreCore

'Tis always the way, after you've selected your case, one pops up with all the boxes ticked. On that note I see the HAF X is out, no red though :p

Oh well I least I can say I've added my own touches.

I'm still tinkering to while away the time until the watercooling stuff arrives, grr surface shipping.

While the sun made a brief appearance, I gave the quick release clips a coat of red:

Posted Image

I also decided it was time to pull finger and give the blue LED's a decent home.

I'm also make aircraft models so I raided my stash of materials and found a sheet of aluminum, some clear styrene sheet, and some varnish (??? all shall be revealed!) and a few other bits and bobs.

After measuring up the space under the lowest HDD bay, i make up a paper template which was folded up and used to check fit, once happy I transfered the shape to the aluminum sheet, I used 0.16mm gauge, its just thin enough to cut with a good pair of scissors without being flimsy. A piece of scrap wood and the desk edge were used to form it into a box:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

to join up the corner, I cheated as I couldn't be naffed trying to solder the joint up, and the inside won't be seen anyway so I used a couple of pieces of aluminum tape to close up the join:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A test fit and then the outside was then primered and painted satin black. Need to de-dust the inside of the case to!

Posted Image

A piece of folded styrene was used to make the frosted front 'window':

Posted Image

Then 2 coats of Gunze Sangyo Acrylic matt varnish was brushed on one half:

Posted Image

to be cont.......

I shall remember that when you post your build Sceptre, stand by for return fire of shiny case choices :)

anyways on with the tinkering....

Window glued to the aluminium, along with some basswood off cuts for mounting the LEDs, also LED strips from an old Thermaltake RAM heatspreader, I was going to use them elsewhere but one of the surface mount LED's has gone on strike. I used Gorilla glue as it glues anything to anything & is slow drying like epoxy without the mixing.

Posted Image

The LEDS 'Gorillaed' in place, the tape is to hold them in place as Gorilla glue expands as it dries:

Posted Image

A happy couple of hours was spent cutting down wire lengths & splicing, end result is only one molex instead of 3 :) The switch is for cycling the Thermaltake strips through different flash modes, I've set them to slowly pulse on and off so the brightness levels cycle from bright to brighter and back, subtle but effective.

Posted Image

Voila! one box of glowiness!

Posted Image

Posted Image

THe cathode also got the treatment , I painted the end caps black and painted the tube with Tamiya clear red paint to get rid of the pink tinge. Those white wires will be dealt to later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice to see the mark II back under way. The fans for the dominators are they particularly loud? Just wanna know cos I'll be looking at a similar kit For my build

The dominator fans are fairly quiet, they're drowned out by the stock AMD fan next to them.

that's odd, i couldn't hear the stock fan on the HSF that came with my pII x955 BE (under 100% load), but then again, my

asus 4890 gfx is loud and probably drowning out the HSF's noise.

Are the 58XX series louder or quieter then 48XX series? anyone know?

I shall remember that when you post your build Sceptre, stand by for return fire of shiny case choices :)

*gasp* Ye Gods!

:P

Feel free to, although I'm not getting a case... so you'll have to pick on something else. Mostly I'm jealous though. So much new shiny tech you have there. What's most surprising is that being a woman... you're quite the texpert. Good stuff, we need more balance here on the forums.

And I didn't paint my PC pink! Admittedly I do have a pink DS lite...

Out of interest I grabbed some Rpm stats for the CPU and Corsair airflow unit:

Idle - CPU 1849 Rpm - Corsair - 1640 Rpm

Load - CPU 2075 Rpm - Corsair - 1963 Rpm

I was expecting the corsair fans to have the higher Rpm given they are the smallest fans, could explain why they are so quiet though.

wonder what the CFM's are........

well i think the original fans were smaller cos i remember the seeing them with 3 fans.......

i think they may be the ones that would be louder.