Sign in to follow this  
jubbing

Thinking of an Alienware laptop build from Dell

Basically I'm not interested in a desktop.

So for gaming, laptop will have to do. And good ones at that. (Don't bother saying you can get this desktop blah blah.. because I don't care. At all).

I've basically just seen the trailer for Crysis 2, and decided its probably time for another laptop... this being the Alienware M17x.

Possible Specs:

Intel Core i7 920XM 2.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 in CrossfireX (Available May 5)

17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD

Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (I was considering Blu-Ray, but I have a ps3 and that does what I need).

Basically a laptop capable of playing Crysis 1 on ultra high, and who knows how future games ala Crysis 2 will be like.

All I can say is that his is gonna be epic.

Price, looking at $3500 +

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/223-g73jh-a2.html

Asus G73JH-A2

Specifications

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 720QM 1.60-2.80GHz Processor

RAM 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz system memory

Hard Drive 1TB 7200RPM, Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Screen Size 17.3-inch HD LED BACKLIT (1920x1080)

Graphics Card ATI HD5870 1GB Dedicated Graphics

Networking 802.11b/g/n WLAN, 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth

Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium

Special Feature Inbuilt WebCam, HD Audio stereo speakers

Condition Brand New in Box, Bonus Backpack + Mouse

Weight 3.52KG

AUD$2399

I'd would recommend this one. slightly better warranty from what i heard from Asus.

Yea I had a look at it, from what I hear.. Asus build quality is no where near to the Alienware.

Here's a breakdown

Pro:

Has double RAM (1066ghz vs 1333 however...)

Double Hard drive

Cheaper (by nearly $1500)

Lighter

Comes with free bag and mouse

Cons:

Lower screen resolution (1200p vs 1080p)

Lower processor speed (1.60ghz i7 vs 2.0ghz i7)

Only 1 graphics card (vs Dual 5870's crossfire for M17x)

Nuetral:

Both have backlit keys (M17x comes with programable colours however)

Same Operating system (Win 7)

Both have inbuilt webcam

So when you look at this way, the Asus is a great deal, however it is no match for the Alienware in performance.. or er.. price.

Yea I had a look at it, from what I hear.. Asus build quality is no where near to the Alienware.

Here's a breakdown

Pro:

Has double RAM (1066ghz vs 1333 however...)

Double Hard drive

Cheaper (by nearly $1500)

Lighter

Comes with free bag and mouse

Cons:

Lower screen resolution (1200p vs 1080p)

Lower processor speed (1.60ghz i7 vs 2.0ghz i7)

Only 1 graphics card (vs Dual 5870's crossfire for M17x)

Nuetral:

Both have backlit keys (M17x comes with programable colours however)

Same Operating system (Win 7)

Both have inbuilt webcam

So when you look at this way, the Asus is a great deal, however it is no match for the Alienware in performance.. or er.. price.

con: 1200p vs 1080p = movies in native 1080p hi-def will be slightly scaled(or stretched) in full screen, gaming wise, more stress on the gpu rendering more pixels.

personally out of the 2, id go the alienware but change to 8gb ram, only cause i dont like asus's support for when it comes to their sometimes flaky hardware....

but seriously, i dont know how you people game on a laptop.. those mobility 5870s have the shader count of a desktop 5770, but clockspeed of a desktop 5750, and i dont see them running crysis 2 on high, if history of the original crysis 1 is anything to go by..

con: 1200p vs 1080p = movies in native 1080p hi-def will be slightly scaled(or stretched) in full screen, gaming wise, more stress on the gpu rendering more pixels.

personally out of the 2, id go the alienware but change to 8gb ram, only cause i dont like asus's support for when it comes to their sometimes flaky hardware....

but seriously, i dont know how you people game on a laptop.. those mobility 5870s have the shader count of a desktop 5770, but clockspeed of a desktop 5750, and i dont see them running crysis 2 on high, if history of the original crysis 1 is anything to go by..

I don't know you're on about mate, the 1200p scaling I can actually understand.. and yes I'm thinking it could be an issue, if minor.

The 8gb of ram.. is surprisingly expensive.. puts nearly $300 extra onto the cost from 4gb if I remember correctly, 4gb gets by these days, but I'd even go 6gb, as 8gb is a little too much.

Now more importantly, my current laptop (see specs in my signature) currently already runs Crysis 1 on ALL high settings. And this is before upgrading to the HD 5870. Played and tested - No problems, runs smoothly all the time (You probably haven't tested an Alienware yet).

So if I go with the above settings, i'm pretty sure the M17x wit its dual 5870 gfx cards (crossfire too) will have no problem handling Crysis 2. And yes I have tried Crysis 1 on other laptops, they can't hit High settings without some form of lag... so Alienware has done an exceptional job.

If anyone has other alternative's I'm happy to hear about them tho!

Edited by jubbing

here's my 2cents.

Most Alienware notebooks including the model you mentioned are actually built by Clevo not Dell. Dell bought the Alienware product (name).

In Australia I wouldn't touch anything built by them (Clevo), there is no support!

However the only good thing about them (in Aus anyway) is that they are backed by Dell.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/156621.html

is the resolution really that noticable on a 17" screen?

Actually, you'd be surprised at how much you can noticed the difference. 17 inch or 15 inch screen. Especially being WLED screens. That helps. Alot.

here's my 2cents.

Most Alienware notebooks including the model you mentioned are actually built by Clevo not Dell. Dell bought the Alienware product (name).

In Australia I wouldn't touch anything built by them (Clevo), there is no support!

However the only good thing about them (in Aus anyway) is that they are backed by Dell.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/156621.html

Yes indeed. Any problems are handled by the Dell XPS tech guys. Apparently they are the ones who know about Alienware etc etc.

So that being said, Dell support is big in Australia, so I take comfort in that!

Edited by jubbing

You wouldn't notice 120 pixels on a 17" screen, especially considering 16:9 resolutions seem to be the main choice for games these days.

If you want to spend that much money on a laptop, do it.

Well of course I want it, but if there are better alternatives, I was hoping someone could possibly show me/tell me!

Dell's support on the XPS/alienware is great.. I had the 'w' key on my xps m1730 come off, so I rang them and they had a tech here the next morning at 8.30 to swap the whole keyboard. took him all of 5 minutes. You pay a bit extra for the extended warranty/insurance/next day changeover, but its definately worth it.

Back when I had my inspiron 9100 I blew the mic input by overdriving it with a DJ mixer, they replaced that no questions asked too.

One thing that pissed me off, was the m1730 was discontinued a couple of weeks after I got mine, and a similar spec alienware replaced it for $100 more (had faster FSB, 800 or 1066, cant remember, but the m1730 only had 667) Hopefully the m1730 dies on me so they have to replace it with an alienware.

Edited by sneh2j00

Dell's support on the XPS/alienware is great.. I had the 'w' key on my xps m1730 come off, so I rang them and they had a tech here the next morning at 8.30 to swap the whole keyboard. took him all of 5 minutes. You pay a bit extra for the extended warranty/insurance/next day changeover, but its definately worth it.

Back when I had my inspiron 9100 I blew the mic input by overdriving it with a DJ mixer, they replaced that no questions asked too.

One thing that pissed me off, was the m1730 was discontinued a couple of weeks after I got mine, and a similar spec alienware replaced it for $100 more (had faster FSB, 800 or 1066, cant remember, but the m1730 only had 667) Hopefully the m1730 dies on me so they have to replace it with an alienware.

Yes indeed, I know Dell has always come through with sending out a tech support if they think I've got a problem, and frankly its easier to get them out rather than say a TPG tech guy.

So warranty wise Dell is good from my expirience. I've heard otherwise.. but until I expirience that, this works.

(Don't bother saying you can get this desktop blah blah.. because I don't care. At all)

So why post the thread? what do you want us all to say spending $3500 on a desktop replacement is a good idea?

If your spending that much get something decent that doesn't look like its made in china for 10 year olds like a dell precision M6500 or something.

Might as well wait for one that will have the latest nVidia graphics, if the first game is anything to go on.

thats if they can work out a cooling solution for it :P

~100w gpu in a laptop aint that great an idea...

Edited by nesquick

Might as well wait for one that will have the latest nVidia graphics, if the first game is anything to go on.

thats if they can work out a cooling solution for it :P

~100w gpu in a laptop aint that great an idea...

You'd certainly learn fast touch typing.

(Don't bother saying you can get this desktop blah blah.. because I don't care. At all)

So why post the thread? what do you want us all to say spending $3500 on a desktop replacement is a good idea?

If your spending that much get something decent that doesn't look like its made in china for 10 year olds like a dell precision M6500 or something.

Why... its a gaming machine (m17x which frankly doesn't look bad)... the m6500 in my opinion doesn't look good at all (and it got a rubbish video card).. its no Dell Adamo for looks.

As for the new Nvidia 400 series video cards for laptops.. yea.. that could take a while.

I just saw you got an M15x, all makes sense now its an alienware thing im guessing? people like me wouldn't understand lol.

Why... its a gaming machine (m17x which frankly doesn't look bad)... the m6500 in my opinion doesn't look good at all (and it got a rubbish video card).. its no Dell Adamo for looks.

As for the new Nvidia 400 series video cards for laptops.. yea.. that could take a while.

It's your money, but you could build twice the gaming experience that that laptop demands in dough.

I just saw you got an M15x, all makes sense now its an alienware thing im guessing? people like me wouldn't understand lol.

Yea mate, trust me.. once you've experienced the power of Alienware.. its hard to go off. Price be damned (altho it is damned)

It's your money, but you could build twice the gaming experience that that laptop demands in dough.

And reason I don't want a desktop is that I travel a bit, close to every 6 months, and I can lug my desktop around can I now...

Therefore.. I could always get an amazing desktop, but the laptops appeal to me much more.

Yea mate, trust me.. once you've experienced the power of Alienware.. its hard to go off. Price be damned (altho it is damned)

I lol'd

I lol'd

Money before common sense (This case an Asus G73JH i7 Laptop)

I lol'd

Money before common sense (This case an Asus G73JH i7 Laptop)

Lol you I was thinking the same thing. I went to jacks warehouse the other day (owner of logicalblue) and had a play with the G73JH very nice man played crysis for abit abit of cod and bc2 just for tests sake. If anyone has 1.8-2.2k to drop on a lappy then thats the one do drop it on.