Sign in to follow this  
jubbing

Thinking of an Alienware laptop build from Dell

I don't like that one either, they all look like kids toys.

to the Op this is the gaming laptop you want http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/products/prodin...p?productid=177

I see your Clevo X8100, and raise you an Origin EON18

You realise that origins end up being more expensive than Alienwares.. and gaming performance isn't as quick either. Just read any review.

You realise that origins end up being more expensive than Alienwares.. and gaming performance isn't as quick either. Just read any review.

Well seeing as you know more about gaming laptops than the entire Atomic Community, you don't really need our help to come to a decision.

Seriously, I just googled 'gaming laptops' and that was one of the first links. Everyone here mostly have desktops for gaming

I don't like that one either, they all look like kids toys.

to the Op this is the gaming laptop you want http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/products/prodin...p?productid=177

I see your Clevo X8100, and raise you an Origin EON18

you know you can have portability in a desktop, just get a Mini itx machine, will cost you like half for better performance.

Well seeing as you know more about gaming laptops than the entire Atomic Community, you don't really need our help to come to a decision.

Seriously, I just googled 'gaming laptops' and that was one of the first links. Everyone here mostly have desktops for gaming

Yea fair enough... but I did my research on laptops a few months back.. thats how I know which laptops are better than others.. (mostly).

On the side note, sometimes I like to play games or watch movies while I'm in bed... not exactly gonna happen on a desktop... unless I get a decent 2k desktop, and invest the rest in the Alienware M11x (the worlds best gaming netbook I've been told).

Either way...

I was looking at an M11x the other day in officeworks, seriously tiny, and the cpu's in them are not great, needs like an an i5 430 to do the video card justice, like the optimus technology in it is a good idea to save battery life but seriously who needs like 6+ hours battery life? if you do why are you buying a "gaming" netbook? seriously in a niche market I think.

I was looking at an M11x the other day in officeworks, seriously tiny, and the cpu's in them are not great, needs like an an i5 430 to do the video card justice, like the optimus technology in it is a good idea to save battery life but seriously who needs like 6+ hours battery life? if you do why are you buying a "gaming" netbook? seriously in a niche market I think.

Well.. I mean how do you do a desktop from downstairs.. when you want to sit on your bed and browse the net, or watch a video etc...? Or even play a game... comes down to a laptop.

Although I have been seriously thinking about desktops recently.

you can have both the new radeons are pretty good ie: HD5650 is quiet powerful for a ~17w card and there are alot of $1300 laptops sporting them HP DV6 3006TX $1277 thats a very nice laptop, saw one in wow and they have just come out, those HP's have switchable graphics, I think its a bit of software that disables the HD5650 and enables the on CPU built in GPU

Desktops are cheaper than you may think to

Posted Image

Edited by nesquick

you can have both the new radeons are pretty good ie: HD5650 is quiet powerful for a ~17w card and there are alot of $1300 laptops sporting them HP DV6 3006TX $1277 thats a very nice laptop, saw one in wow and they have just come out, those HP's have switchable graphics, I think its a bit of software that disables the HD5650 and enables the on CPU built in GPU

Desktops are cheaper than you may think to

Posted Image

Hm.. we'll my current laptop has the HD5870 which is absolutely more powerful than the HD5850, and it has in i7 processor 820... which is inifintely quicker than i5.

Who does good desktops in australia?

Hm.. we'll my current laptop has the HD5870 which is absolutely more powerful than the HD5850, and it has in i7 processor 820... which is inifintely quicker than i5.

Are you serious man?

Are you serious man?

I can' tell if you're being sarcastic or genuinely asking...

You do realise that desktop components are completely different to laptop components and are far superior.

The core i5 750 is clocked at 2.66GHz which is a lot faster than your i7 in your laptop. Plus with a decent cooler like the one nesquick listed you would be able to over clock it to 4ghz.

The desktop HD5850 would destroy your laptop HD5870. Your card would probably be on par with a desktop HD5770. A desktop HD5870 is like 11’' long and struggles to fit into smaller desktop cases let alone into a laptop.

You do realise that desktop components are completely different to laptop components and are far superior.

The core i5 750 is clocked at 2.66GHz which is a lot faster than your i7 in your laptop. Plus with a decent cooler like the one nesquick listed you would be able to over clock it to 4ghz.

The desktop HD5850 would destroy your laptop HD5870. Your card would probably be on par with a desktop HD5770. A desktop HD5870 is like 11’' long and struggles to fit into smaller desktop cases let alone into a laptop.

Well my current laptop comes out like this:

And it plays crysis on High settings without problems..

I'm not arguing that desktops aren't far superior.. but Maybe you're underestimating Laptops.. ?

Edited by jubbing

Jubbling just so you know the HD5870 desktop has twice the shaders of the HD5870 laptop, the HD5870 laptop card is a desktop HD5770 exact same core probably binned better than the desktop ones.

The mobile I7's will only hit the 2.8ghz max clock under very specific conditions if for example you were playing a game maybe it will reach close to that but say using all 4 cores to encode it will without a doubt drop back to only 1.8ghz to stay within thermal spec and power draw requirements.

As said that list I provided you will allow you to overclock the cpu to about 4ghz and the 5850 it comes with has 1440 shaders (so 640 more than your current video card) which would mean it would probably get about P17000 in 3dmark vantage if you want to do a comparison between your laptop and a figure I guesstemated from experience.

Jubbling just so you know the HD5870 desktop has twice the shaders of the HD5870 laptop, the HD5870 laptop card is a desktop HD5770 exact same core probably binned better than the desktop ones.

The mobile I7's will only hit the 2.8ghz max clock under very specific conditions if for example you were playing a game maybe it will reach close to that but say using all 4 cores to encode it will without a doubt drop back to only 1.8ghz to stay within thermal spec and power draw requirements.

As said that list I provided you will allow you to overclock the cpu to about 4ghz and the 5850 it comes with has 1440 shaders (so 640 more than your current video card) which would mean it would probably get about P17000 in 3dmark vantage if you want to do a comparison between your laptop and a figure I guesstemated from experience.

What Nesquick said im way to lazy.

This thread brings the lulz.

I love people who think they know what they're talking about but in reality dont even have the slightest clue.

And I absolutely adore how you linked your windows PI, like it actually means something.

And just for arguments sake, my girlfriends Desktop scores the same as your laptop and shes running an e8500 and a 5770 (7.3 on the graphics, 7.5 on the cpu etc., 5.9 total coz of the hdd)

In short, the PI doesnt mean shit.

This thread brings the lulz.

I love people who think they know what they're talking about but in reality dont even have the slightest clue.

And I absolutely adore how you linked your windows PI, like it actually means something.

And just for arguments sake, my girlfriends Desktop scores the same as your laptop and shes running an e8500 and a 5770 (7.3 on the graphics, 7.5 on the cpu etc., 5.9 total coz of the hdd)

In short, the PI doesnt mean shit.

This topic is getting way too off topic.

And for this guys adoring sake, I only put the WEI up because I havent done a 3D mark test yet.

Edited by jubbing

Just do your research on things man, only way to know what those sneaky video card manufacturers are up to, like the GTX260M and GTX280M are both G92 cores so 9800gtx desktop cores despite the name indicating they are the 200 series.

Playing games, watching movies in bed?

As a repairer (component level on desktops and laptops) you are gonna kill your notebook by doing that.

I hope you use a stable table or equivalent.

Edited by jdee71

As a repairer (component level on desktops and laptops) you are gonna kill your notebook by doing that.

Yea of course.. it was my uncle that actually pointed out how they get ruined just using them in bed on your lap. That and it doesn't give it enough air to 'breathe'.

So I use a cooling pad, which is fairly comfortable and does the job.

I was also thinking of something like this down the line.

But the cooling pad (from Targus) does the trick at the moment.

Yea of course.. it was my uncle that actually pointed out how they get ruined just using them in bed on your lap. That and it doesn't give it enough air to 'breathe'.

lol that looks like something you would find in an asylum to hold people down.

lol that looks like something you would find in an asylum to hold people down.

Lol, true.

However it looks like it gives versatility you could use when using a laptop in bed.

To be honest, I have no idea on what's going on but on the spirit of the topic, I wouldn't touch Alienware either and you should or could go for the Asus. And for the record, I know both as I used to be on Dell tech support for a bit and now, working for the centre that ships Asus products. About their quality being shit, you should see the Acer laptops we ship. Now that is shoddy and the tech support is about the same though for the both. Dell is quick at turn arounds whilst Asus is better at getting to the root of the problem.

And just wondering, why are you so into Alienware and yet not willing to try out other products?

Fanbioism.

Its just someone excited about their purchase.

To be honest, I have no idea on what's going on but on the spirit of the topic, I wouldn't touch Alienware either and you should or could go for the Asus. And for the record, I know both as I used to be on Dell tech support for a bit and now, working for the centre that ships Asus products. About their quality being shit, you should see the Acer laptops we ship. Now that is shoddy and the tech support is about the same though for the both. Dell is quick at turn arounds whilst Asus is better at getting to the root of the problem.

And just wondering, why are you so into Alienware and yet not willing to try out other products?

Who said I haven't tried out other products?

Personally haven't owned alot, but I know lots of mate's who HAVE bought different models. My mate is acutally buying the latest Asus one, so im quite looking forward to seeing how that does.

BTW thought I would put my 3D Mark Vantage score here.

I don't know how it compares to others, but I'm hoping someone will tell me how it is.

Posted Image

Edited by jubbing