Sign in to follow this  
jubbing

Thinking of an Alienware laptop build from Dell

Sounds about right.

You pull what my q9550 and 9800gtx used to pull OC'd before I sold it its a good laptop. I would be happy with that.

If the m15x can hit 10,000... I've been told the m17x can hit close to 18,000.

If thats vantage I doubt it.

If thats vantage I doubt it.

Ah you're right, although I do have proof that it's hit 15,000 before.. which is equally impressive.

Posted Image

I didnt know Alienware did the 4870x2m

sure that wasnt one of those ASUS lappys?

Still thats a nice score.

Edited by mudg3

They do 2 4870's mudg3.

I got my new laptop the other day (the HP one I showed you last page) love it so much, I5 430 and HD5650 is better than I expected to.

Edited by nesquick

Yea Dell has had Dual 4870 XF for some time now. Where's the proof? Why Dell website of course! (BTw the screenshot shows the vendor is Dell lol, so it can't be Asus)

As for that, Alienware's are soon coming out with Dual 5870 XF (which is the fastest notebook card on the market).

Those score's are sure to increase.

Edited by jubbing

Yea Dell has had Dual 4870 XF for some time now. Where's the proof? Why Dell website of course! (BTw the screenshot shows the vendor is Dell lol, so it can't be Asus)

Im not sitting there looking for a dell inc tag in GPUZ. I have better things to do.

How much faster will the 5870M cards be? both RV770 and RV870XT have 800 unified shaders and both will have similar memory bandwidth, unless there is a huge difference in clock speeds it won't be much at all.

Edited by nesquick

Well in comparison to me, I've doubled my Vantage scores by using the 5870 in comparison to my old 260m.

However in terms of CF, I have no idea how much better they will be until Dell actually releases them. But tests to date show that a single 5870 shows a significant boost (not double like mine, but enough) over a single 4870 (proof at notebookreview.com).

Recent tests show that the CF5870's are on par with a Desktop 5870. Thats freaking amazing (souce: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-...ml#post6322090)

As for my setup, I've decided to go with this route:

Yea my plan for the M17x is as follows,

I have sold my M15x for a fair price I believe.

I will get the Dell M17x r2 with the following specs:

M17x

Intel Core i5 520

Windows 7 premium

3 year basic service plan

Dual 1GB HD5870 CF

1920x1200 RGB LED

4GB Ram @ 1333MHz

500GB Harddrive

DVD+-RW, CD-RW

Following that I will order the new 940XM (ES model) from ebay. I will than proceed to replace the 520 with the new 940 meaning it will be very very fast, and I save some cash of it. Then I'll sell the 520 for a little bit as well (no idea what its worth). Hopefully that'll make it real fast.

Yes its a USA import.

Recent tests show that the CF5870's are on par with a Desktop 5870. Thats freaking amazing (souce: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-...ml#post6322090)

As for my setup, I've decided to go with this route:

Yea my plan for the M17x is as follows,

I have sold my M15x for a fair price I believe.

I will get the Dell M17x r2 with the following specs:

M17x

Intel Core i5 520

Windows 7 premium

3 year basic service plan

Dual 1GB HD5870 CF

1920x1200 RGB LED

4GB Ram @ 1333MHz

500GB Harddrive

DVD+-RW, CD-RW

Following that I will order the new 940XM (ES model) from ebay. I will than proceed to replace the 520 with the new 940 meaning it will be very very fast, and I save some cash of it. Then I'll sell the 520 for a little bit as well (no idea what its worth). Hopefully that'll make it real fast.

Yes its a USA import.

sounds promising, dont forget to post some benchmarks up when you get it.

i5 520 is going to be slowwww

I'm gonna replace the i5 520 with a i7 940XM. I did say that :)

GTX 480M is gonna be a major fail.

It'll first probs cost like $750.

Then it outputs 100watt of heat. Compared to the 120watt from DUAL 5870's.

Looking at benchmarks on my thread on notebookreview, its only slightly better than a single 5870. Might as well throw your cooker away so you can fry your eggs on your laptop.

SO I'm still gonna go ahead and order the CF5870's... because trying to get dual 480m SLI - 200watts. Might as well burn your hand now.

I have no idea why you would want a laptop with 2x 5870m's

How much did you sell your M15x for?

I have no idea why you would want a laptop with 2x 5870m's

How much did you sell your M15x for?

Why not? I want raw power, in portability (or something along the lines of portability). I travel every now and then. There's no cost diff between 2x 5870m and 2x 4870m.

Laptop was sold for $2800 (I would have put it up here for sale, but didn't really think anyone would pay for it)

Edited by jubbing

gaming laptops are not a waste of money, one that high spec is however, like I said to you like 4 pages back get a cheaper one like a ~$1700 G73 from like xoticpc and build a $1200 desktop to have the best of both worlds

extreme laptop cpu's are a waste to, evga precision works on Alienware M17x's and ASUS G73's from what I have been told and cause they are so low voltage you can get like 3.0ghz out of the i7 720QM before heat becomes a problem.

Edited by nesquick

gaming laptops are not a waste of money, one that high spec is however, like I said to you like 4 pages back get a cheaper one like a ~$1700 G73 from like xoticpc and build a $1200 desktop to have the best of both worlds

extreme laptop cpu's are a waste to, evga precision works on Alienware M17x's and ASUS G73's from what I have been told and cause they are so low voltage you can get like 3.0ghz out of the i7 720QM before heat becomes a problem.

What you may not understand is that even if the ASUS has the same specs as the Alienware, it doesn't mean performance will be the same. And lets face it.. if you google it, you'll see that there's a considerable difference with the scores. A 15 inch Alienware comes close to beating a 17inch Asus. Infact there are some scores where it beats the Asus.

I would never ever go an asus though. Asus are notorious for - Build quality is low grade plastic, cooling system is disappointing to say the least. It tends to overheat alot, get the Blue Screen of Death, and worst of all... has POOR Asus Warranty services (they are absolute useless.. try calling them up in Australia). My friend had the highest one.. I think it might have been the G73 or another one, but he dumped it once he ran into all those problems.

I'm pretty sure they only have LCD screens versus WLED screens. I like overclocking, so i'll probably go the 940XM route. The Alienware build quality consists mainly of magnesium alloy and high quality Plastic for the sides and grill, which is very high quality stuff used in a laptop! You won't find better build quality on a laptop (or cooling for that matter.. especially in Australia). 4 hours of Crysis on my laptop on very high settings, and the top of the laptop was still cool. It did stutter a bit every now and then, but overall it was flawless. Youtube link here -

(You have to watch it in 720p otherwise it looks rubbish)

Btw before I sold the laptops I did a few more benchmark scores:

3D Mark Vantage - http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/594/officialtest6.jpg (According to Notebookreview forums: 5th fastest M15x in the world, 3rd fastest GPU score)

3D Mark 06 - http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1579/officialtest5.jpg (According to Notebookreview: 5th fastest M15x in the world)

BTW: I was under the impression Evga didn't work with machines UNLESS they are a 920XM processor (for laptops). I tried it with my 820QM and it refused to work.

Edited by jubbing