Sign in to follow this  
jubbing

Thinking of an Alienware laptop build from Dell

So you believe alienware has a special touch?

Special Touch meaning?

Also considering I used to work for ASUS and repair there laptops I'm inclined to think your full of shit. With your build quality comments.

Also considering I used to work for ASUS and repair there laptops I'm inclined to think your full of shit. With your build quality comments.

Google it then idiot. Go to notebookreview forums. They are the BIGGEST forums in the worlds to do with laptops. Just type in Alienware versus Asus. They subsidize build quality for price.

I just read all the 4 pages and lol'd

So let me get this straight:

YOU come on here and tell us your getting a Alienware MX17.

Cool thats fine, and good on you. But you also ask for opinions and for us to suggest other lappies.

So being a nice community we reply with our ideas of a better laptop. Then you proceed to tell us the laptops we suggested don't compare to the MX17

Thats fine, but then making up stuff about build quality and presuming that all of his have no idea about computers. Well that's just plain rude.

Personaly I hate Alienware and think there a waste of money. And secondly I don't like the idea of having an all gaming laptop. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So go now and buy the MX17... We gave you our suggestions and you shoved them in our face.

Edit: And i took your advice and went on Notebook review froums, and i found that most people say Asus lappies.

Edited by unr3strict3d

Google it then idiot. Go to notebookreview forums. They are the BIGGEST forums in the worlds to do with laptops. Just type in Alienware versus Asus. They subsidize build quality for price.

I am well aware of notebookreview forums but once again they are a forum and most of the stuff posted can be taken with a grain of salt. My opinion simply comes from working on many Asus products and I can a sure you the build quality is not crap. Obviously with the price difference between the Asus G73's and the Mx15/17 there are going to be difference's in quality. Asus warranty's for their laptops have a turn around time of 4 business days in the work shop (This does not include postage and travel time) If you live near a repair station most warranty repairs can be done same day if you drop it off in the morning.

Its simply a lie to say ASUS's warranty is shit as the guys I worked with, worked hard to keep to that time line of course there is going to be discrepancies but 99% everything went to plan and still does.

Dell/Alienwares warranty well... that's another storey. Right now I have a Dell 2709 with a next day business warranty on it sitting here with 6 dead pixel I reported this 9 business days ago and they are still having issues sourcing me a new screen. I may end up with a 2711 if they cant sort it out. But for a warranty that you pay $300 for its pretty fucking slack. I've also delt with Alienware too which is really just the XPS repairers and builders and after being in that industy for a good few years I've heard plenty of horror story's about alienware support . Shit I've had clients get me to just replace there parts in their Alienware desktop's due to having to wait 1 month for a new board to come in.

So please spare me. I do agree Alienware laptops are pretty awesome and I'm happy that you are so passionate about your purchase but please would you kindly step off your high horse and come back to reality.

Edited by mudg3

I am well aware of notebookreview forums but once again they are a forum and most of the stuff posted can be taken with a grain of salt. My opinion simply comes from working on many Asus products and I can a sure you the build quality is crap. Obviously with the price difference between the Asus G73's and the Mx15/17 there are going to be difference's in quality. Asus warranty's for their laptops have a turn around time of 4 business days in the work shop (This does not include postage and travel time) If you live near a repair station most warranty repairs can be done same day if you drop it off in the morning.

Its simply a lie to say ASUS's warranty is shit as the guys I worked with, worked hard to keep to that time line of course there is going to be discrepancies but 99% everything went to plan and still does.

Dell/Alienwares warranty well... that's another storey. Right now I have a Dell 2709 with a next day business warranty on it sitting here with 6 dead pixel I reported this 9 business days ago and they are still having issues sourcing me a new screen. I may end up with a 2711 if they cant sort it out. But for a warranty that you pay $300 for its pretty fucking slack. I've also delt with Alienware too which is really just the XPS repairers and builders and after being in that industy for a good few years I've heard plenty of horror story's about alienware support . Shit I've had clients get me to just replace there parts in their Alienware desktop's due to having to wait 1 month for a new board to come in.

So please spare me. I do agree Alienware laptops are pretty awesome and I'm happy that you are so passionate about your purchase but please would you kindly step off your high horse and come back to reality.

+1

Basically everything I wrote to do with build quality has been copied from NBR. I've seen it so many times I just put it into my own words. (minus the friend bit).

If telling you people's opinion is throwing it back in your face.. then so be it.

It was pretty much civil till mudg3 started telling me he thinks I'm full of shit. Absolutely uncalled for.. just because he got ruffled up by me telling the truth.

buy both then tell us what one is better and give me the G73 cause it will be made of shit plastic as opposed to good plastic :P

Edited by nesquick

buy both then tell us what one is better and give me the G73 cause it will be made of shit plastic as opposed to good plastic :P

I actually lol'd. Well done :)

As long as the plastic doesent fall apart i honestly wouldnt care. :P

If you think about.. I've told you I want the laptop for 2 things.

Raw speed and Performance which can be transported.

IF the Asus could give that to me, and save me cash.. I would.

I only go hesitant because my friend had the G73, and it gave him so many problems he gave it up. Compared to me who *had* an Alienware and never had to call Dell support for anything (except ask how to update the bios on a laptop).

I agree Dell Aus is just the XPS branch, but with my last laptops, whenever I've had a problem I've called Dell and the next day they were at my house (even though I was trying sleep.. but thats besides the point).

Personally no I have never had an Asus (unless you count a netbook), so I suppose my comments are unwarranted, but regardless, I've tried calling up Asus support for my friend.. and it was a hastle and a half. Maybe it was just that call.. but first impressions last.. and I was not impressed.

Now as for scores.. you saw the benchmark scores I did with my M15x.. if I had a 920XM processor I would have easily bested them. Point is those scores are comparible to medium desktops. One thing that sucks about Alienware's is battery life. They don't last for shit. Other than that, I haven't really had problems. Prices are much more comparible than when my system would have costed $5000 a few years ago.

Totally agree with you there.

Maybe you full into that 1% that have issues if you lived in a capital city it would have been easier to just take it into a repair centre or should have asked for a replacement if it was such a lemon.

Well Machines been ordered.

Here's a preview of the score my friend got with the EXACT same system I'll have.

Link - http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6662/numberonebaby.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with it for a laptop, with tuning it can go higher. This was done with absolutely NO tweaks, no extra cooling, no LOD tweaks, nada, zip. And only 5% overclocking.

Dual lol. They're as powerful as a single Desktop 5870, which is quite powerful.

With updated scores - http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9299/16kvantage.jpg This is the fastest laptop run in the world as of now I believe.

lol thats pretty shit for 2 cards.

Find me a laptop with better scores. I'll pay you to find it.

Infact.. all I hear is talk.. show me your desktop scores 3d Mark Vantage.

Only retards compare desktops to laptops and think they'll be competition between a high end laptop and a high end desktop. This is as close as they come right now.. all I hear is fkn this is shit that is shit etc... nice community my ass.

Edited by jubbing

Dual lol. They're as powerful as a single Desktop 5870, which is quite powerful.

With updated scores - http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9299/16kvantage.jpg This is the fastest laptop run in the world as of now I believe.

lol thats pretty shit for 2 cards.

Find me a laptop with better scores. I'll pay you to find it.

Infact.. all I hear is talk.. show me your desktop scores 3d Mark Vantage.

Only retards compare desktops to laptops and think they'll be competition between a high end laptop and a high end desktop. This is as close as they come right now.. all I hear is fkn this is shit that is shit etc... nice community my ass.

Your taking it the wrong way buddy. Pro tip don't bite back when someone lies bait. Nesquick pulls about 30 something k in vantage on his desktop (with physx).

Don't quote me because it was a conversation on steam a couple of days ago.

Tell him to take Physx off. Physx boosts the score hugely.

A true number would be without Physx.

Its not worth me wasting my time to compare it to such a shit laptop.

Does vantage take all those LED's into account I hear it gives you an extra 1k points cause of the wank factor.

Edited by nesquick

Its not worth me wasting my time to compare it to such a shit laptop.

Does vantage take all those LED's into account I hear it gives you an extra 1k points cause of the wank factor.

WOW Can you be any more of a jealous jackass? Seriously man.. I lol'd at that..

I tell you what.. walk to the next room and tell me how good your scores are... oh WAIT.. you can't because you have a desktop! Or do you never get out of the room?

I'll still give $100 bucks cash in hand if you find me a laptop with a better score. Because you can't (probably because you don't leave your computer room).

you know the funny thing is that POS probably wouldn't even run a full pass of vantage cause it'd run out of battery.

BTW here go nuts, knock yourself out:

Posted Image

Edited by nesquick