Sign in to follow this  
Apocrypha

PhysX and multi-monitor support

Ok, so can someone tell me if it's possible to use a 9800GX2 for both PhysX and sulti-monitor support at the same time?

I'm thinking of snapping up a cheap second hand one (see trademart) and then using it atm as my main GPU, with a view to whatever card I buy now (it might be something cheaper...) to become a secondary card down the line.

Plan is to use the secondary card to support multiple monitors and PhysX, and I was thinking of getting, say, a 9800GT (cos they're cheap) that would tide me over until my major upgrade in November/December. That card, then, would get moved over to the new PC and I would use it for a second and third monitor, running my main screen off a GTX280 (or something) for gaming and the like. Then, when I wanted to game, I'd just turn off the other monitors and the secondary GPU would be for PhysX. Fun times.

But now, methinks, that if I have a 9800GX2, becasue there are 2 GPUs on it, I might be able to be ultimately clever and have

1. Display 1 off GTX 280 (unchanged from the current plan) for gaming goodness

2. Displays 2/3 off 9800GX2 core 1 (yay) --> SLI disabled (can I do that? -- think so, cos I've seen that ASUS TOP verson of the 9800GX2 with 4 DVI connectors, specifically designed to run many, many monitors)

3. THEN PhysX on 9800GX2 core 2 in-game

ALL AT THE SAME TIME

So such a hypothetical setup has 3 GPUs -- one big fat one for gaming and two more, running independently, for more monitors and PhysX, respectively.

I suspect that if I just went out and bought a tri-SLI board and had 3 separate cards, this would defintely be possible, but am unsure if this would work with 2 cards (GTX 280 and 9800GX2) with a total of 3 GPUs.

Is this even possible? Drivers, yay or nay?

Ah, hamstrung by possibilities!

Ok, go.

Doubt you'd be able to accomplish all that. Seeing as the cores on the 98 are on the same PCB, I don't think there are any current drivers and software to isolate the cores into doing different tasks or running different applications.

Nor do I think that you can have a dedicated GPU to doing PhysX alone, remember it's just an instruction set on the card, a feature, so you'd either have to program the card to be able to use different GPUs for different apps, or use some special software.

What you can do is run an app on a monitor connected to a seperate GPU, which will process what ever you have running on that monitor. Though, I still doubt you'll be able to get the dedicated GPU to do physX alone.

Haha!

I'll see you and raise you 5.

I want to do the same thing as you Apocrypha, but I intend to use cards from two different vendors:

8800GTS 512 and a HD3870X2.

Reckon it'll work?

Haha!

I'll see you and raise you 5.

I want to do the same thing as you Apocrypha, but I intend to use cards from two different vendors:

8800GTS 512 and a HD3870X2.

Reckon it'll work?

Well, if you're using Vista, those two cards won't work at all together :P

So that's a start lol.

Yeah, that sucks, hey Neo?

Hmmm. I suspected as much FB, NVidia isn't that cool.

Maybe I should just stick with the original plan of buying a GPU to use as a main atm, then when I upgrade, make it redundant and use it as a secondary for multiple monitors and PhysX, but not simultaneously.

Verdict FB?