Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bundy

Alpha Protocol

Just been reading a few gaming sites and the big news today seems to be Alpha Protocol is finally complete.

Anyone else been following this game?

I have I am not 100% sure if I will want this game but it has potential to be a story driven RPG epic the way Mass effect or Deus Ex was. At least that is the way the game is being portrayed as a story driven RPG with huge variety in play styles, I will be waiting for more complete impressions and maybe reviews before I make up my mind but for anyone who is interested or who may not have heard of this before here is some viewing.

developer interview from gspot

trailer

My scepticism about how the game gets pulled off for me is because I don't have a good track record of liking Obsidian Ent. games I found NWN 2 bland and KOTOR 2 bland BUT I am highly optimistic at Fallout New Vegas and Alpha Protocol I sincerely hope these games are good.

Edited by Bundy

Man I pre purchased this on steam like a year ago. Then they stopped selling it, and only recently brought it back to the store.

Not sure why they removed pre purchasing of it for a while but at least it's being released soon.

After waiting this long it better be good >_>

Summary:

A decent game, but its not ground breaking, despite its low budget, I dont think personally its not worth 60 bucks on Steam, though if its a discount and you got nothing to do and are into more of a plot than visual effects and gameplay might want to give it a go, otherwise there are other games to play. Deus Ex 1 and 2 is better, but this game was to tie me till Deus Ex 3 came in.

Visual and Audio 5/10 -

At least I can see and shoot stuff, its not like top quality, but I dont care this really so graphics have little bearing on me. Audio was decent, I dont need surround 5.1 blow everything away sound. If you want to do that, go watch a movie.

Gameplay 6/10 -

Biggest let down is the gameplay of the game, cover system is flawed and the AI is predictable on hard even. Though on hard you can get 2 shotted by anthing. Puzzles were easy to downright stupidly insanely impossible. You can save anywhere but thats to put the difficulty hard anyway. There are some issues with the game that needs fixing, but it wouldnt improve the game play at all, which is a shame.

Gameplot 8/10 -

The strength of the game is the plot, where its actually pretty decent, well despite gameplay and such. Is an encompassing story to me, and I'm intrigued to keep playing, the dialogues are a bit of a let down, but reading the dossiers and finding information about people makes the game as cool as Deus Ex.

RPG Element 7/10 - The RPG Element is satisfying but you need to spend alot of points to get it useful, and you need to add points to guns if you want to survive a boss fight. And the perk system was a nice touch, but the RPG element adds little to the game when its more run and gun (and near impossible to melee everything if 10 people come at you when you have no cover. Forcing you to use those guns skills), though you can purchase information and guns and equipment throughout the game which is useful. And reading people's dossiers help you understand the person and be able to manipulate them to your advantage.

Replayability 8/10 - I believe its got HUGE potential here, I have yet to replay it but I will, I played a recruit that struggled with stuff, now I'll play a kick ass mofo that can kill everything that bleeds. And hopefully scores some more chicks during the process.

The game made me feel sick (and for the record, its the only game to do that so far) at 60fps it felt like it was lagging, with vsync on it still had weird tearing problems and heaps of microstutters even though fraps was showing a solid 62fps (with no dips on the graph at all)

Not a fan at all.

Interesting review, Zhaker. How'd you manage to come by a copy to playtest?

Same question to Nukejockey.

First thing I'd heard of it was that vid in the OP, but I think I must live with my head in the sand afa game news goes. Those character models look pretty basic - like Freelancer basic, and that's an oooold game these days.

Yea Cybes this was a bumped post from May 5 it was out only a couple days ago however.

I think I will pass or pick it up when it gets cheaper.

I MAY look into it if it's heavily patched in the near future... otherwise I'm holding out for Deus Ex 3.

The game made me feel sick (and for the record, its the only game to do that so far) at 60fps it felt like it was lagging, with vsync on it still had weird tearing problems and heaps of microstutters even though fraps was showing a solid 62fps (with no dips on the graph at all)

Not a fan at all.

I had vsync off and had no problems, except for the 10 enemies plus smoke then it got a small lag, probably I dont notice this very well, and its maxed out everything except shadows ( its on medium ).

I'm surprised using fraps showing it at 62 fps while you notice these things, thats a bit odd. Thought using fraps would make you get about 40-50fps.

And yea its out on Steam, but yea, it's an average game, I mean if I had to choose Conviction and this, for the same price I'd lean on conviction but Conviction wasnt fun at all, either. I'd wait for Deus Ex 3 though. Hopefully it'd have an engrossing story like Deus Ex 1 did and decent gameplay...

Finished it on first walkthrough and now doing the 2nd run on Hard (again) as a Veteran. Still struggling to sneak around since I couldnt max it out and get the shadow evasion ability.

However, using a Veteran helps on certain people to get them to like me. Sorta interesting if you ask me. Shame that I get a crappy suit at the start and not my awesome stealth suit.

Now that I think about it, with crouching having the stealth suit isnt really necessary, probably better to get the tech suit and 4 upgrades.

The last boss, however, I had to do something completely out of the ordinary to beat him, my assault rifle did little damage to it....

This game looks cool! i might grab it for x360? or pc?