lance volcanix

Nostalgia'd

Hmmm... Looks a little too 'modern'... maybe it was the first International karate.... I remember there being a 'Dojo' scene, I don't really remember the outdoors areas. I think it might even pre-date theses, not sure???? (any other suggestions guys/girls??)

Was it Bushido (1983)? http://www.myabandonware.com/game/bushido-20 I remember this game being very difficult.

Posted Image

Wasn't Bushido...

It looks about the same age as International Karate (about the right number of pixels - or maybe less).

I remember they had some weird fighting stance like :

(Karate Champ), but that game doesn't like completely right, maybe it was that on a different platform (or earlier version????)????

overkill (pC)

wolf3d (pc)

Crystal Caves (pc)

Secret Agent (pc)

halloween harry (pc)

scooby doo's maze chase (mattelvision was the name of the console i think? :P)

tennage mutant ninja turtles (nes)

excitebike (nes)

sim city (pc)

haha yeah!

"Good ol' days" is a bit broad. I've been playing games all my life, I have fond memories as a child of playing Commander Keen, Railroad Tycoon, Wolfenstein, etc. But it was really the late 90's when I really got into games, and chose what I wanted to play, instead of playing what I was given.

Grand Theft Auto

Half-Life

Interstate '76

Grand Theft Auto 2

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

Unreal Tournament

Worms: Armageddon

No One Lives Forever

Deus Ex

the endless Counter-Strike betas (go on, admit it!)

Hitman - Codename 47

Max Payne

The Thief games probably deserve to be on there, but I've only played them recently.

First PC game I ever played was some sort of snake thing on a friend of a friends 286 (I think it was).

Hand to be hand entered from printed sheets.

First game on a PC I actually owned was

Road Rash

then I think

I-War (this game started me on the continuous upgrade path to get better game performance)

No One Lives Forever

and on and on.

Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2, the original VGA version.

Wing Commander II (with the voice pak!)

I have fond memories of those games.

I don't remember the first game I played, I was a toddler. But there's video footage around somewhere of me playing Pac Man when I was 4, heh. I'll be restricting myself to titles from the 90s only, and just 3 of each genre haha :D

The golden age of adventure games

King's Quest 5 - The first King's Quest I played. I had access to earlier ones which my sisters played but as a young weeny bopper it was much easier for me to point and click on things with a mouse then to try typing instructions - both because of my young and limited vocab and lousy typing skills. I also would have discovered the wonders of game faqs and walkthroughs around this time, I printed the walkthrough to this on a 24 pin dot matrix printer :D

Hugo series - the first text instruction games I remember playing. Think I was 10 or so and was decent enough at typing and reasoning to beat these on my own.

Alone in the Dark - At about 7 years old, wtf was I thinking trying to play this?? I didn't play it again until a decade later, about 17.

The RPG game age

Betrayal at Krondor - This game is not responsible for my love of riddles, but it definitely helped it along. In fact, I think the only thing I really enjoyed about this game was finding the puzzle boxes. This was also the first RPG where I took notice of stats - prior to this, I had played RPGs like adventure games with fighting.

Ultima 8

My first Ultima, and perhaps my first RPG. I had no standard for RPGs so I was very happy with this even with all its flaws. I realised years later that my copy of Ultima had a speech pack which I had not installed...I played it again with much joy, and also a patch for more awesomeness :D

Diablo

This came out when I was 11 or so, around the same time as Starcraft. My god, what a time suck. How did I pass primary school?

The dawn of strategy

Civilization - I was -extremely- young when I first tried this, maybe 5 or 6? I picked "Emperor" difficulty because I thought you started as an emperor and it would therefore be easier...HAHAHA!! I couldn't play it properly until years later. Now that I think about it...I have NO idea how I figured out how to play this game.

Worms - Woulda been 10 or 11 when this thing hit. My gosh it was awesome...then Worms 2? Holy sheep!!! Why don't more people play this?? I'd still play it if it weren't for my idiot brother giving my game away...zzz.

Syndicate - I distinctly remember bringing the manual to school when I was in year 3, 6 or 7 yo, and getting in a spot of trouble because a screenshot in the manual has a nude female agent with cybernetic upgrades and such...zzz.

The rise of FPS

Doom - duh. Completed it with cheats as famous as IDDQD when I was 7 or 8...should really go back and complete without cheats :D Actually, is there a more famous PC game cheat than IDDQD? It's like the PC equivalent of the Contra code. Sort of.

Ken's Labyrinth - Damn this game sucked. So why the heck couldn't I stop playing it??

Blake Stone - More meh. Why couldn't I stop playing it???

The rise...and fall? of PC action games

Stellar 7

Ancient polygon tank game by...Dynamix? Great music and speed, but for me at 7/8ish, way too hard!

Raptor - My God, I don't know how they made a game this badass, but if people can make more, by gum they should. One of my picks for best soundtracks of the 90s, easily.

Duke Nukem 2 - The beginnings of Duke Nukem actually being a character. Before this, he was a generic pixel art dude fighting doctor Proton, but Duke Nukem 2 was when he began becoming a chauvinistic badass, with an interview about his new book "Why I'm so great".

Dammit there are so many more games I wanna mention. Maybe more later :D

Edited by Kung Fu Hung-Su

Hung, your gaming experiences are much like mine.

My first real RPG was ultima 8 and my first point and click adventure was KQ5 (and now that I think of it, it may have been pirated) We got this stack of discs with our first PC and KQ5 was one of them, it didn't have the manual so I could never pass the boat bit because I couldnt decipher the runes!

Ultima 8 was so much fun, its funny though, when we first tried it, we couldnt figure out how to make Avatar move, we had to get mum to ring the guy who gave it to us to find out! haha.

\

I was obsessed with all the Quest games by Sierra from age 7. Almost bought the Space Quest and Kings Quest collection from the US Steam a few times... even though i already have them all :P.

I was pretty obsessed with LSL3 when I was 10.

:|

Learning the names of US Presidents so you could see square tits. Does gaming get any better than that?

Edited by supam

All of Hung & Nuke's lists, minus Worms, an plus a whole bunch of no-name text adventures tacked on the front.

Special mentions to Broderbund's Ancient Art of War at Sea, and Strategic Simulation's Reach for the Stars. Boy did those two chew up some time on the 286.

Wow... some nostalgic names.

First off:

Raptor - One of my picks for best soundtracks of the 90s, easily.

Sorry Hung, but the soundtrack from OMF:2097 > Raptor :)

Apart from the 2 above-mentioned games (both of which countless minutes/hours/days were spent playing), others include:

Wolf3D & Spear Of Destiny

Doom & Doom 2

Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold & Planet Strike

Heretic & Hexen

Rise Of The Triad

Jill of The Jungle

Monster Bash

Bio-Menace

Captain Comic 1 & 2

Halloween Harry

Jazzy Jackrabbit

Keen 1 - 7

Hocus Pocus

Prince Of Persia 1 & 2

Monkey Island 1 & 2

LOOM

Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiago?

Entombed

Gunship 2000

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2

Thexder

Wacky Wheels

Super Solvers Adventures (bunch of educational games)

Gumboots Australia (another educational game)

The Incredible Machine

The Incredible Toon Machine

Realms Of Chaos

Operation: Wolf

Tyrian

Descent 1 & 2

Diablo

Quake 1 & 2

Sim City 2000

Duke3D

Half-Life

Dark Forces

Unreal

Unreal Tournament (ie. UT99)

Crystal Caves

Secret Agent

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures

Reader Rabbit (educational game)

Math & Word Rescue (educational games)

I could go on & on, but I'll stop there :p

CE out.

Hung, your gaming experiences are much like mine.

My first real RPG was ultima 8 and my first point and click adventure was KQ5 (and now that I think of it, it may have been pirated) We got this stack of discs with our first PC and KQ5 was one of them, it didn't have the manual so I could never pass the boat bit because I couldnt decipher the runes!

Ultima 8 was so much fun, its funny though, when we first tried it, we couldnt figure out how to make Avatar move, we had to get mum to ring the guy who gave it to us to find out! haha.

I don't remember any runes in KQ5...hahaha

Wow... some nostalgic names.

First off:

Raptor - One of my picks for best soundtracks of the 90s, easily.

Sorry Hung, but the soundtrack from OMF:2097 > Raptor :)

Let me rephrase lol. Yes, the OMF menu theme is probably my favourite song from a 90s game, ever. But, the whole soundtrack of Raptor, was better than OMF:2097. I didn't really like any other tracks from OMF. =T

Haven't been gaming for very long there, have ya Nes? :P

@Sceptre: Street Rod was awesome! I liked the second one the best... I remember something about a third one, but I played a beta or something and it was pretty meh.

Fuck yeah! I loved them, getting the muzza up to 117mph max haha. Also, there was a SR3 indie development going on a while back, http://www.streetrod3.com/ Dunno if its still going though.

Not sure what you mean by Muzza... Mercury?

Anyway SR2 was awesome. Doing the aqueduct races was cool. But I could never finish a Mulholland Drive race because of the wet concrete crap... how do you get past that?

Who here remembers Top Gear 2?

EDIT: RPG of the century, Final Fantasy VII.

Edited by SceptreCore

Megaman ...7? I think... (the one with woodman and heatman)

FFVII, 'nuff said

The original super Mario

Super Mario bros 3

Super smash bros

super smash bros melée

Edited by lance volcanix

Who here remembers Top Gear 2?

I remember returning the original top gear to k-mart the same day i got it because it was so shit house. Probably the only game i've returned.

Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega!

Hours of fun. Doing battle with weird goggle orange moustache man.

edit: Dr Robotnik... that be 'im.

Edited by SceptreCore

Prince of Persia

Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem 2

Duke Nukem 3D

Doom

Doom2

Quake

Quake 2

Heretic

Hexen

(See a pattern emerging?)

Secret Agent

Crystal Caves

Commander Keen

Basically, id software and Apogee defined my early gaming days.

Later on there was Daggerfall, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc...

Funny this topic should come up. Teaching my 7 year old sister how to play Sim City ... next thing I know it's a full-on nostalgia-fest with two of my other sisters and I having races to see who can reach Metropolis first.

Waaay too many to list in full - so many games where if I see the cover art or a screenshot my eyes glaze over for a second... have to do a "best of the top of my head" list...

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Sim City (Amiga)

Elite (Amiga)

Boulderdash (C64/Amiga)

Frontier: Elite II (Amiga)

Slither (C64)

Ghosts and Goblins (Amiga)

Hard Drivin' (Lynx/Amiga)

Shinobi (GameGear)

Dr. Mario (NES)

Double Dragon 3 (NES)

Shadow of the Beast (Amiga)

X-Wing (PC)

Stunts (PC)

Virtua Cop 2 (ARC)

... going to have to stop there. So many more, in so many other genres (FPS, RTS, TBT, RPG etc etc...) but I have things to do today. It's hard enough resisting the urge to find an emulator of some abandonware...

Edited by thesorehead

Nope, thats not it spiritek.

From memory it was a platformer and the TV station was dark, so I think it took place at night. You may have had to find tapes or something like that to progress too.

There was a level in "Flashback" that sounds like that.

A space fighter I cannot remember but you were in the cockpit and there was a spaceship shaped like a scorpion and other things, I remember it was damn cool.

That sounds like Microprose's LightSpeed or it's "sequel" Hyperspeed. Yes, it was rather cool by early 90's standards. It had it's charms, not least of which were the very creepy Acari. Google is your friend for this, but if the Googlor is unfriendly I might be able to help....

As for my nostalgia...

Dick Smith Wizzard:

Sonic Raiders, Star Defender, Crazy Chicken

C64:

Ultima 1,2,3 and the brilliant 4.

Elite

Mercenary

Impossible Mission - "Stay a while. Stay... FOREVER!"

Gunship

Wizball

Stealth Fighter

Various synthesizer programs

Early PC DOS era:

Nethack

EGA Trek

Scorch

Silent Service 2

Wing Commander

Space Simulator

M1 Abrams

Gunship 2000

Wolfenstein/Quake1-2/Doom1-2

Mechwarrior 2

Carmageddon

Flight Simulator 4

Descent

Populous

Simearth

Warlords

Syndicate

Ultima 6/7

Elite+

Elite Frontier

Elite First Encounters "Can I help yeeewwwwwwwww?"

Star Control 2

Privateer 1/2

Stunts! - how could I forget this?

Xwing - Lucasarts, please release this and all other Xwing sequels on Steam!

Early PC Windows era:

Robosports (anyone got this? it seems no-one even remembers it...)

Simcity 2000

Myst

Riven

Unreal

plenty more, but not really nostalgia now...

Of all of the above, the only ones I can keep playing and playing and playing are Elite, Wizball, Impossible Mission and Nethack.

Edited by corinoco

Dicksmith VZ200/300: http://vzalive.bangrocks.com/downloads/

Attack of the killer Tomatoes

Dawn Patrol

Galaxon Hunter:

Draculas Castle

Startrek

Luna Lander

Knights and Dragons

Ghost Hunter

Starblaster

(scary thing is I still have these games on cassette tape along with the VZ's)

PC:

Doom 1/2

Wolfenstein

Carmageddon

Myst

Jumpjet (the farty sound effects from my adlib card were a hoot!)

Posted Image

Flight Sim 3

Paganitzu

Posted Image

Rise of the Triad

Blakestone: Aliens of Gold. (Medic!)

Posted Image

Myst

Heretic

Posted Image

Hexen

Descent 1/2

Terminal velocity

Posted Image

Simcity 2000

Duke Nukem 1/2/3

Jazz Jackrabbit

Nope, thats not it spiritek.

From memory it was a platformer and the TV station was dark, so I think it took place at night. You may have had to find tapes or something like that to progress too.

There was a level in "Flashback" that sounds like that.

Nah this was the whole game...I know I'm being pretty vague with my description, but I havent played it since I was 8 or 9 I reckon. So 14-15 years ago =/

Edited by nukejockey