Master_Scythe

This is hell.

And what's the little arrow under avatars?

That is actually Firefox's fault :P It interpret "--<br />" as "-->".

And that '+ QUOTE' button, I can't figure out WTF that's meant to be for

1) Go to a page on the forums, and click "+ QUOTE" to the posts you want to reply to.

2) Scroll to the bottom (or top) of the thread and click "Add Reply"

3) See a text box with those posts already quoted sequentially, waiting for your reply.

A little wanky, but handy.

Rob.

My FF3.0 is chugging like a bloody pig after a few hours; it's on it knees.

I had two tabs open and it was using 350MB...

I understand concerns and critiques, but the melodramatic 'ZOMG atomic is dead' crap is really getting old.

Complaining about the colour? Fair enough...

Complaining about the colour after it's been pointed out it's only temporary? Not.

Complaining about ranks? Whinge.

Me, I've gotta fork out >25% more posts to get back the rank I've had for 13,000+ posts. Boo hoo.

My FF3.0 is chugging like a bloody pig after a few hours; it's on it knees.

And what's the little arrow under avatars? And that '+ QUOTE' button, I can't figure out WTF that's meant to be for

The + Quote allows you to easily select multiple posts that you can reply to, rather than the old dodgy way of copy/pasting from multiple tabs that you'd otherwise need to open to get the text

/bangs head against the desk

Atomic is not dead. I virtually guarantee that in a manner of days, it'll be business as usual and we'll all be wondering what the fuss is about.

I understand concerns and critiques, but the melodramatic 'ZOMG atomic is dead' crap is really getting old.

Quoted to illustrate the +Quote function

/bangs head against the desk

Atomic is not dead. I virtually guarantee that in a manner of days, it'll be business as usual and we'll all be wondering what the fuss is about.

With respect, fuck off.

You have no idea what Master Scythe is talking about, because I presume you've got close to normal vision in at least one of your eyes, or you've the luxury of being able to use glasses/contacts to acheive close to normal vision.

Master Scythe doesn't have that option.

That's why I'm so quick to point out accessability problems and usability problems that I fucking avoid every day I do work. How do I avoid such problems? By not being shit at web development.

I've had a look at the code in an attempt to quickly turn out a style to make Master Scythe want to stay, but the code is just as horrible as V2.6. to work with. Tables fucking everywhere, and there's no logical reason for them to be there. A forum is a list of posts, not a table of them.

Because it looks like a nightmare to skin and style, I've pm'd estate asking if the admins have access to a CMS style utility that can easily create themes, and if so if he'd be willing to allow me to help him/or whoever to create a theme that fixed the fixed font size to make accessibility better, and make the style more in line with V2.6 and where it was obviously high contrast.

The Atomic Forums have been shutdown and put on an archive page. they're dead. a premade BB is now in its place

you've lost a family member and been replaced with a robot, do you claim they're not dead?

The atomic community is the same as it has always been. Everyone is still here- hell, all the banned people are coming back. People are posting. Asides from a few aesthetic and functional changes, it's business as usual.

I understand your concerns, I really do, but this does not kill the forums and to be quite frank I find any claim of it doing so to be utter melodrama.

That is actually Firefox's fault :P It interpret "--<br />" as "-->".

1) Go to a page on the forums, and click "+ QUOTE" to the posts you want to reply to.

2) Scroll to the bottom (or top) of the thread and click "Add Reply"

3) See a text box with those posts already quoted sequentially, waiting for your reply.

A little wanky, but handy.

Rob.

The + Quote allows you to easily select multiple posts that you can reply to, rather than the old dodgy way of copy/pasting from multiple tabs that you'd otherwise need to open to get the text

Quoted to illustrate the +Quote function

Ahhhhhh that is cool :D

With respect, fuck off.

You have no idea what Master Scythe is talking about, because I presume you've got close to normal vision in at least one of your eyes, or you've the luxury of being able to use glasses/contacts to acheive close to normal vision.

That's why I'm so quick to point out accessability problems and usability problems that I fucking avoid every day I do work. How do I avoid such problems? By not being shit at web development.

I've had a look at the code in an attempt to quickly turn out a style to make Master Scythe want to stay, but the code is just as horrible as V2.6. to work with. Tables fucking everywhere, and there's no logical reason for them to be there. A forum is a list of posts, not a table of them.

Because it looks like a nightmare to skin and style, I've pm'd estate asking if the admins have access to a CMS style utility that can easily create themes, and if so if he'd be willing to allow me to help him/or whoever to create a theme that fixed the fixed font size to make accessibility better, and make the style more in line with V2.6 and where it was obviously high contrast.

I'll let that 'fuck off' slide, because usually you're pretty decent and I'm just going to assume you're having a bad evening rather than deliberately going out of your way to be straight-up insulting. But I'd be a bit careful what you say in the future lest someone not as forgiving is on the other end.

I do understand the concerns, but with all due respect, you guys have deliberately ignored every request the *ods have made to have patience and understanding of the current situation. We have been told this is not a final product. We have been told that things may change.

Thanks Dave. At the very LEAST i think this has been released 'half finished'.

and The Manta, i didnt say the community is dead. 'Atomic Forums' are. it IS NOW PhpBB or some other pre-made THING.

Its like losing your home but your family being OK. The most important thing is still there, but it just doesnt feel like home.

and if the mods have told it 'things may change', why would you do THIS so early? I worked (while i could) in IT. some bloody hard IT with no budget and corner cutting. I know how neccisary Hot Testing is, however, not to this level. I dont try and make the end user finish he windows installation all while saying 'its OK, i know its MY job, but, just click next.'

Tables fucking everywhere

That's pretty fucken ghey...

Ahhhhhh that is cool :D

What pisses me off is quoted quotes not showing up...

I'm starting to wish the Gods had gone with a BB from a different mob...

Do nested quotes work?

Well?

Why can't quotes be quoted? I hope there's a setting for it that gets fixed.

and The Manta, i didnt say the community is dead. 'Atomic Forums' are. it IS NOW PhpBB or some other pre-made THING..

Alright, then I apologise for misunderstanding your meaning. There has been a lot of bleating on about how supposedly terrible and ruined the community and forums are right now, and to be quite honest it's been cutting on my nerves for quite some time.

With respect, fuck off.

Oh please. He's actually got a valid arguement on that point, but going around to other threads crying that Atomic is dead is just lame, and The Manta is right - wait a few days for the custom skins.

I do understand the concerns, but with all due respect, you guys have deliberately ignored every request the *ods have made to have patience and understanding of the current situation.

I fully understand the situation, but I'm not at all happy with the fact that people are being discriminated against because the website is inaccessible. I thought you'd be smart enough to understand that my arguement isn't "wahhhhh I want more features. Wahhh it doesn't look nice." I'm having a rant, and all of my rants in the past, because a forum should be accessible - and this is not. Given how shit it looks to skin (and I'm not completely hopeless at html and css), unless there's some magic admin tool or someone in the web dev forum has a heap of time and patience on their hands, or there's a magic upgrade that fixes the accessibility issues, these people are going to keep getting fucked over when they shouldn't have to. That's my beef. That, and everyone who doesn't have anything which hinders their access of the forums thinks they're just having a big whinge and should harden the fuck up.

I was assuming a little of your rage was coming from the fact that the forum is, as you said to me 'an example of how not to program'.

But i really appreciate the support Dave. Also, finally going to the opthmologist tomorrow, end off topic.

QUOTE CONFINED

"Oh please. He's actually got a valid arguement on that point, but going around to other threads crying that Atomic is dead is just lame, and The Manta is right - wait a few days for the custom skins." (its easier to do imo)

why cant the people arguing AGAINST just CLICK THE ARCHIVE BUTTON AND SEE. they are GONE atomic forums are SHUT DOWN. an entirely new system stands in its place. The community lives on, this is fantastic, however atomic, the forums, ARE dead.

I thought you'd be smart enough to understand that my arguement isn't "wahhhhh I want more features. Wahhh it doesn't look nice." I'm having a rant, and all of my rants in the past, because a forum should be accessible - and this is not. Given how shit it looks to skin (and I'm not completely hopeless at html and css), unless there's some magic admin tool or someone in the web dev forum has a heap of time and patience on their hands, or there's a magic upgrade that fixes the accessibility issues, these people are going to keep getting fucked over when they shouldn't have to. That's my beef. That, and everyone who doesn't have anything which hinders their access of the forums thinks they're just having a big whinge and should harden the fuck up.

And I thought you'd be smart enough to realise that I do understand that's not your argument, particularly given I've stated multiple times that I understand the concerns. Much like yourself, I am having a rant- but in this case I'm having a rant at the continual air of melodrama some have had about these changes. I don't mind people pointing out issues. I really don't. But I cannot abide the 'oh my God I hate it here everything's so horrible', which you cannot deny has been aired far too many bloody times today. We get it already.

Now, Master_Scythe's been good enough to clarify that he's not intending it completely that way, and we've established that.

well I just had to TAB 47 times to get into this reply box... makes it a PITA for those using text to speech programming and having to use key strokes rather than clicking with their mouse... this is how blindmansbluff would have to access the threads.

Oh please. He's actually got a valid arguement on that point, but going around to other threads crying that Atomic is dead is just lame, and The Manta is right - wait a few days for the custom skins.

I'm sorry, but Master Scythe has a perfectly valid complaint. For some people the current theme is a slight annoyance, but for MS it's almost a slap in the face.

I was also very attached to the old forums, in much the same way that people love their old arse broken-down cars because there is just so much history.

well I just had to TAB 47 times to get into this reply box... makes it a PITA for those using text to speech programming and having to use key strokes rather than clicking with their mouse... this is how blindmansbluff would have to access the threads.

I think you'd find that would be the same for any forum. Just a consequence of having many hyperlinks on a forum page.

Rob.

also i doubt this can be fixed due to the chunky code but im ALREADY sick of holding the 'end' button and watching jittery screen theatre as the page 'loads'.

and no that wasnt one of my original issues, its a new one i just discovered in refreshing this page a lot. >< i cant win.

QUOTE ROBZY

"I think you'd find that would be the same for any forum. Just a consequence of having many hyperlinks on a forum page."

not on old atomic. I used to use text to speech too. Opera is having issues reading some of this for some reason... i have yet to figure out what. it could be posts that have actual quotes in them and are highlighted. hrm

I was actually referring to the amount of tab presses it took to get to the reply box.

Rob.

Sorry Rob, so was i. I jumped topic there without making it clear.

Tabbing around is hell.

and loading is a different issue.

Try it! click page 2 or any other 'full page' and hold the 'end' button.

Now do the same on the archived forums.

painful. especially for someone like me who has like 15 threads open at once on a 'busy day' and refreshes in an instant. rrrrrrrr

A Ctrl-F5 revealed what you were talking about Master Scythe :S I find that browser caching, or maybe its squid, makes it much much better though.

[edit]: Make that Firefox. Just disabled squid and everything still works at a reasonable pace.

Rob.

tabbed 72 times in Chrome.

How do you activate Chrome? I thought it was a new skin but it's not in my skins list drop down at the bottom of the page...

A Ctrl-F5 revealed what you were talking about Master Scythe :S I find that browser caching, or maybe its squid, makes it much much better though.

Rob.

Well i have a 5gb cache thats cleaned. so i think your SQUID. not basic browser cache.

lucky you. *clicks post and goes to the TVwhile it loads to avoid 'jitter screen'*

Dark Maverick: DEVERE is referring to google's software called Chrome.

Sorry mate, you caught me pre-edit. I disabled squid and things still ran smoothly, until I control F5d anyways.

Of course, I can imagine all this is secondary to the usability issues.

Rob.