Sign in to follow this  
czerney

Gaming Server?

Hi all,

If you were to buy your own server to run as a gaming server what specs would you require to run the latest games... BC2, MW2, etc etc also teamspeak etc etc.?

What OS?

CPU?

How much RAM?

How much quota a month? How fast would up/down speeds need to this host?

How much disk?

Static IP..

Cheers,

Im a noob at this stuff but I will throw my hat in the ring anyway.

-OS windows server

-i7 9x0 cpu so you can do virtual machine stuff easily

-6-12gb of ram

-24576 / 2560 kbps net

-yea get a static ip they are like $5/month more

-any decent HDD should do

Lets see.

Some form of a *nix distro or Server 2k3/2k8

Quad core at the very least, can usually run 1 server per core then

16gb ram minimum if you plan on hosting more than 1 server.

Space, not much maybe 300gb? (would give you room for custom maps or whatever as well, dedicated servers arent big at all)

And yes, you'd want to get a plan with a static IP

Your download speed wouldnt matter so much, but you would want atleast 1m up for a server, 5-10m up be best if at all possible.

Thanks chaps....

I should clarify a bit further. I'm advising/working with a company who has the virtual infrastructure in place already. They are looking to spin up virtual servers as gaming servers so I'm just looking for what specs the VM itself should have.

Good chance I'll be admin'ing them too and I've a fair bit of pull with recommendations and pricing.

So if said create a few standard VMs with the following specs respectively:

CPU: 1/2/2/3 VCPU

RAM: 1/2/3/4 4Gb RAM

DISK: 20/40/60/80 DISK

QUOTA: 100/200/300/400GB per month.

Access: Full RDP/Console access. Ability to build/rebuild. Automated provisioning in less <30min from online purchase.

IP: Static

This would do the trick?

What price could you see yourself paying per month to have this type of service on a monthly subscription basis? What price would it have to be for YOU to seriously consider it?

Edited by czerney

In regards to OS - I would definitely recommend nix. Much more stable and you don't have the licensing overhead that comes with MS OS'.

Cloning, OS redistribution, and back-up restoration of a VPS takes a few minutes on the nix platform.

In regards to OS - I would definitely recommend nix. Much more stable and you don't have the licensing overhead that comes with MS OS'.

Cloning, OS redistribution, and back-up restoration of a VPS takes a few minutes on the nix platform.

Yep 'nix' can be an option. (And cheaper)

Any feedback on previous post would be great!

what this man said.

Best bet though would get getting a Dell R710

2xE5520's

24gb of ram or more if your looking to VM these servers.

HDD dosent matter I hope you would be connecting these to a fibre san or somthing. I'd Trow ESX on it or somthing like redhat or SUSE and vm any other servers that are needed.

what this man said.

Best bet though would get getting a Dell R710

2xE5520's

24gb of ram or more if your looking to VM these servers.

HDD dosent matter I hope you would be connecting these to a fibre san or somthing. I'd Trow ESX on it or somthing like redhat or SUSE and vm any other servers that are needed.

Just to re-iterated I'm looking at the Virtual Machine specs.

We already have the infrastructure provisioned that's going to host all the vms.

iamthemaxx: My employer is seeking info on this and yes I will be responsible for spinning out appropriately resourced VM's. We are VMware enterprise partners and we've already put in appropriate vmware vsphere/esx infrastructure in our datacenter that supports this.

Mods: Also just want to say I'm not going to advertise my employers business in forums.. when the time comes will make sure they go through proper atomic advertising channels. Just after general server specs and a bit of feedback from the guys here.

Just to re-iterated I'm looking at the Virtual Machine specs.

We already have the infrastructure provisioned that's going to host all the vms.

iamthemaxx: My employer is seeking info on this and yes I will be responsible for spinning out appropriately resourced VM's. We are VMware enterprise partners and we've already put in appropriate vmware vsphere/esx infrastructure in our datacenter that supports this.

Mods: Also just want to say I'm not going to advertise my employers business in forums.. when the time comes will make sure they go through proper atomic advertising channels. Just after general server specs and a bit of feedback from the guys here.

Ah sorry man!

vsphere/esx is the way to go!

Any feedback on what prices you would consider fair and that you would pay for this type of service?

Most types of clan severs range from $20 to $50 a month depending on how much traffic and what load the servers would be under.

Perhaps chase up the server readme text files for the games they are interested in running. EG the Battlefield 2 one says the following:

We highly recommend Battlefield 2™ servers are run on dedicated server platforms. Currently, the best performance is on a machine with the following specifications:

=====

LINUX

=====

- Minimum Specification, based on playing a 16 player game:

CPU: 1 Ghz

RAM: 256 Mb

- Recommended Specification, based on playing a 64 player game:

CPU: 3 Ghz. For AMD Athlon 64 CPU: 3500+ (2.2 Ghz)

RAM: 2 Gb

- Recommended Specification, based on playing a 48 player Titan game:

CPU: 3.6 Ghz. For AMD Athlon 64 CPU: 4800+

- Optimal Specification, based on playing a 64 player Conquest game:

Only run one instance of BF2 per physical CPU with Hyperthreading disabled

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ or 3.6GHz Xeon.

RAM: 2Gb per physical CPU

- Optimal Specification, based on playing a 48 player Titan game:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ or 3.8GHz Xeon.

=======

WINDOWS

=======

- Minimum Specification, based on playing a 16 player game:

CPU: 1 Ghz

RAM: 384 Mb

- Recommended Specification, based on playing a 64 player game:

CPU: 3 Ghz. For AMD Athlon 64 CPU: 3500+ (2.2 Ghz)

- Optimal Specification based on playing a 64 player Conquest or game:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ or 3.66GHz Xeon.

=========

BANDWIDTH

=========

- Minimum

2.5 Mbit

- Recommended

5Mbit

Note that the server requires more upstream bandwidth (server to client) than downstream (client to server). The above bandwidth recommendations are upstream speeds.

As always if you can increase any of the above hardware you will improve your overall gameplay experience.

Note the upstream bandwidth and that is for one game only, so running multiple games similar to BF2 you are really looking at symmetrical DSL or fibre connections.

Contrary to what most people have said, Windows is more desirable for game servers. These notions that nix is hugely more stable than Windows is laughable in this context - your game server will be crashing a lot more than your OS will, and it very much depends on which specific game server you're talking about as to whether it crashes more on one or the other. For the most part, Windows is preferable in this case. Linux is still perfectly acceptable for games which have a linux port of their server.

Most of your other questions are very dependant on which game servers you wish to run. CoD2 will use significantly less bandwidth than TF2, and the variations within are huge depending on how many player slots you run.

CSS, for instance, rarely uses >150MB of RAM and will run happily on two or three game servers per core, depending on player count etc. TF2 uses a bit more and is advisable to have it's own core, especially for a 32 player server.

Since everything you need to test is free (Virtualisation, dedicated servers are free, etc), set up a test bench, then advertise a game night on here and we'll help you test the load on the server. Make sure to watch out for things like server FPS drops, huge IO lag during map change, excessive swapping, etc.

Well we've gone live now with the server-on-demand service. I've told them to approach Atomic to advertise here. Not sure when/if they will. Until then unless a mod gives me the go-ahead I'll keep the company/website quiet :)