Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
TheFrunj

Easter show 2010 pics

So I went to the Easter Show this year (which actually was just over a month ago, but I've been super busy) and took some pics with my camera (Canon 50D with 18-200 IS). I think they're pretty neat, but I also think there's a lot of ways I can improve them.

I quite like the grannies with their knitting and the two dudes on the horse and cart, something about each just 'feels' like they have depth. Minimal curve changing done in photoshop.

Posted Image Posted Image

I'm not sure about this shot in black and white, but it's been cropped in a little.

Posted Image

I mostly like shooting objects, rather than people, though the bike shots are pretty rad imo. Tried to crop them so there was some empty space for them to look into.

Toyota's Hilux Heroes were hard to shoot (anything in the main arena was difficult due to night time, and the sheer distance - I was at the top level of the seating area), but these two shots are the best ones. I think the reflection one is certainly amongst the coolest I've shot! The other one I blew out the contrast a little to focus more on the cars.

And finally, the Robosaurus thing. Gigantic robot on wheels. I rotated (was slightly askew), cropped and adjusted curves. Wasn't the clearest shot to begin with, though, so any tips for that kind of long distance without a tripod would be neat!

Posted Image

There are plenty of other pics, but these are the ones I'd like some feedback on. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Let me know :)

I like the photos. Robosauraus looks cool

Generally with moving objects e.g Hilux, I would use a lowish ISO (~400-800) and a flash gun. Main issue I would see would of been your distance which limits your usability of the Flash gun.

But in general, You would use a slower shutter speed/aperture setting to correctly meter the background, then set your flash to fire at the end of your exposure Giving your central object e.g Car sense of speed.

Final composition of the photo would be a moving background with the car in good focus suspended from the background.

Rob

Rather good (i like to make blurry photos even with the 'shake' mode enabled on the camera) but some advice;

Center your objects, if they are off center, then the viewer will be taken the 'white space' - the horse and cart are 100%, but not center, and therefor i'm asking my self, what are we looking at?

The old lady's - nice again, but washed out due to the natural light - if your going to take a photo with the subject in full sun, find an angle where the sun will light the subject in a good way, and not wash them out - if you stood in the door leading to the stables you might have had a better shot, but could have ran into your own shadow entering frame as well.

Robo - did you black, and white balance before you went with the night photos, or did you use the same day balance settings? Lower iris, and slow shutter speed on a tri-pod would be the best for this type of photo.

Motor-x - best of them all - no comments.

I like the photos. Robosauraus looks cool

Generally with moving objects e.g Hilux, I would use a lowish ISO (~400-800) and a flash gun. Main issue I would see would of been your distance which limits your usability of the Flash gun.

But in general, You would use a slower shutter speed/aperture setting to correctly meter the background, then set your flash to fire at the end of your exposure Giving your central object e.g Car sense of speed.

Final composition of the photo would be a moving background with the car in good focus suspended from the background.

Rob

I had to use ISO-1600 due to the lighting conditions - I was probably 1500m away from the cars, so a flash gun wouldn't have done anything at all.

I'll try that next time, but afaik the inbuilt flash isn't able to be timed for the end of the exposure (is it?).

Very nice :)

Rather good (i like to make blurry photos even with the 'shake' mode enabled on the camera) but some advice;

Center your objects, if they are off center, then the viewer will be taken the 'white space' - the horse and cart are 100%, but not center, and therefor i'm asking my self, what are we looking at?

The old lady's - nice again, but washed out due to the natural light - if your going to take a photo with the subject in full sun, find an angle where the sun will light the subject in a good way, and not wash them out - if you stood in the door leading to the stables you might have had a better shot, but could have ran into your own shadow entering frame as well.

Robo - did you black, and white balance before you went with the night photos, or did you use the same day balance settings? Lower iris, and slow shutter speed on a tri-pod would be the best for this type of photo.

Motor-x - best of them all - no comments.

Ah, yeah, positioning is something I'm still not quite sure of. The ladies were hard because of the crowd, there were people or fences either side of the angle I shot on.

No, I left it on the same day settings. Ooops. Though I didn't have a tripod on me, didn't want to carry it around the show all day. Is a monopod a decent idea for those sorts of things?

Anything that would stop shakes over a longer exposure is fine, otherwise you are going to end up with blurry lights in the background - even if you place it on the seat next to you.

I am prob using all the wrong words - please excuse me if i am (My background has been large scale live video production such as concerts)

EDIT: NPOV

Edited by amckern

I'll try that next time, but afaik the inbuilt flash isn't able to be timed for the end of the exposure (is it?).

Sounds like you'd be after "2nd curtain sync" for the flash option. I'd guess that "1st curtain sync" is the default. Have a squiz in your flash options.

p.s. Cool pics btw. Keep snapping away!

Center your objects, if they are off center, then the viewer will be taken the 'white space'

Eww!!

NOT centring the subject is like rule 1 of photography!

Rule of thirds, young padawan.

In actual fact, the horse+people photo is well proportioned and exposed. It would have been perfected by getting the horses' heads in frame, and getting the gentlemen's faces in focus. The sky and the subject are properly exposed, which is something that's usually hard to nail outdoors.

Well done, frunjy.

The knitting old ladies can probably be improved by running highlight recovery.

Edit:

Limited in what I can do with a JPEG, but...

Posted Image

Edited by SquallStrife

Eww!! NOT centring the subject is like rule 1 of photography! Rule of thirds, young padawan.

In actual fact, the horse+people photo is well proportioned and exposed. It would have been perfected by getting the horses' heads in frame, and getting the gentlemen's faces in focus. The sky and the subject are properly exposed, which is something that's usually hard to nail outdoors.

Well done, frunjy.

The knitting old ladies can probably be improved by running highlight recovery.

Yeah, I had thought that centring them was a no-no. I suppose it depends on the type of photo you're aiming for.

It was hard to get the right focus, they were moving rather quickly and I didn't get a chance to manually focus on them (nor check the image). Still, thanks for the helpful feedback :)

How does one run highlight recovery? I imagine it's something that would be more helpful with RAW files, perhaps I'll start shooting exclusively in those. Or at least, when I'm doing something I'd like to be able to work with later.

Yeah, I had thought that centring them was a no-no. I suppose it depends on the type of photo you're aiming for.

It was hard to get the right focus, they were moving rather quickly and I didn't get a chance to manually focus on them (nor check the image). Still, thanks for the helpful feedback :)

How does one run highlight recovery? I imagine it's something that would be more helpful with RAW files, perhaps I'll start shooting exclusively in those. Or at least, when I'm doing something I'd like to be able to work with later.

Well, I use Lightroom, and there is a slider called "Highlights" which recovers details from areas that are verging on blown out.

Not sure how you'd do it in Photoshoop.

Hm, I might look into Lightroom. Though it's awfully expensive, afaik. There's a trial, so I'll give that a go and decide if it's worth it.

My 2 cents frunj. I do like the composition of the people photos. I think the first one wouldve been better served captured in B&W, but thats just me. From my POV, B&W just brings out that certain something that color doesnt seem to in that shot. The second one does look a bit out of focus but otherwise it looks great. Capturing that in colour is a nice touch but perhaps showing more of the scene and a bit more depth of field would make it perfect. I dont have much experience in night shots, apart from timed exposures for astro-photograpy but im still learning there. Again, its my 2 cents and dont get me wrong, they are great pictures. I think you already have a good eye for a picture and i guess things like that take time to develop. keep up the good work frunjy. :)