Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Trekker

Need to convert 2 meg pic files to smaller

Hi, i have a few pics that are around 2 meg each. What program can i save them so on around 500kb , all at once?

what you're looking for is a 'batch image converter'

What file type are they? If they're bitmaps, simply converting them to JPG @ 99% will drop their size to about 6-700KB i'd guess. If they're already JPG's you're in a bit of a pickle as they're already compressed and you'll need a tool that can RESIZE the image, as well as compress it.

If they're photos that you're never going to want larger than an A4 piece of paper, then figure out what quality you want and use that.

NORMALLY you can compress to 75% without noticible quality loss; i never go below 89% though.

the pic are for something on the net. They will not be my backups. :)

They are already jpeg. Was wondering if there was something i could right click resize and it does the rest. ( Quite a few to do)

First question. Do you have Photoshop?

If yes, then I can help by recommending Boxtop's ProJPEG extension, which compresses JPEGs much much better than PS's ability (At least, up 'til CS3, I have no idea how good the compression algorithm is in CS4 & CS5).

If no, then I can't really suggest. Irfanview can do it though.

Yes, already mentioned, the Irfanview app is very handy at this. I've used it a lot for simple tasks, and it's very good for batch-conversions.

FWIW, I use FastStone Image Viewer for all the things I used to do with Irfanview, including batch convert/rename.

FastStone's Photo Resizer is basically a module from the Image Viewer that sounds like exactly what you need.

OP: no program will read your mind and just make magic happen. But Irfanview/FSViewer are probably the easiest solutions out there.