Sign in to follow this  
Zzozzach

Woolworths changes debit card acceptance policy

Got this just the other night.

I think I'll just go to Coles on the way home from now on, even though Woolies is about 500m from my house.

I've always found Coles to have a better product line.

Shithouse huh... Wifey and I both have Visa debit cards, but generally with grocery shopping we use her AMEX or DJ's credit cards (for the sake of accumulating points, and she's got a month to pay it off, which she does religiously, being an accountant and very disciplined with her spending and account-keeping), so were it not for that we'd surely go elsewhere.

Problem is, near us there's only really Woolies... there's a Franklins but it's much smaller and has barely any parking, and other not-too-far supermarkets are in big malls which are painful to park and shop in.

Edited by Thylacine

Am I the only person who still uses cash? I hate being stuck behind someone paying for groceries by using a card, when cash is just so much easier.

then you wouldn't like being next in line after me ... i use the 'cash only' lane as an opportunity to get rid of my accumulated shrapnel. by the time the cashier counts it and sorts it into the till, i could have done a pos transaction 10 times over :)

ha, this will be interesting. a customer could potentially spend a few thousand on a purchase at dick smith ... with no credit card option ? good luck on that one. if harvey norman and coles had any sense, they would capitalise on that decision :)

That is a very good point.

I don't do it often, but I have had to resort to paying by credit because my I'd maxed out the EFTPOS for the day or it simply doesn't have a large enough limit.

On that note, why a secure EFTPOS transaction has tighter limits than the less secure credit option is a little weird.

ha, this will be interesting. a customer could potentially spend a few thousand on a purchase at dick smith ... with no credit card option ? good luck on that one. if harvey norman and coles had any sense, they would capitalise on that decision :)

That is a very good point.

I don't do it often, but I have had to resort to paying by credit because my I'd maxed out the EFTPOS for the day or it simply doesn't have a large enough limit.

On that note, why a secure EFTPOS transaction has tighter limits than the less secure credit option is a little weird.

because credit card rules are controlled by the scheme and debit cards are controlled by the bank. also, chargeback rules are very different between debit and credit facilities. it's alot easier to chargeback on a credit card transaction.

If they had half a brain and wanted to actually attract some customers, they'd put a ban on time-wasting shit like Fly-Buys and people writing cheques for pathetically small amounts.

If they had half a brain and wanted to actually attract some customers, they'd put a ban on time-wasting shit like Fly-Buys and people writing cheques for pathetically small amounts.

Wow, does anyone still use cheques? I honestly can't remember that last time I did. Prolly about 2 or 3 years ago, and most likely for something like the kids' school photos.

As for loyalty programs, I don't think they add anything to the time of a transaction.

If you use the 'cheque' or 'savings' transaction type they may charge you a fee.

If they do this, find a better bank. Or at least find a better package with your old one.

None of the three banks I've been with in 20 years have charged for EFTPOS purchases.

The only transaction fees I've paid have been for non-my-bank ATM withdrawals.

Wow, does anyone still use cheques?
Not me, but my parents do a bit. Certainly not at the supermarket though :P

Rob.

A number of times, I've been stuck behind some numnuts dickhead writing a cheque out for his $12 purchase.

Ban the fucken things for anything under at least $100.

If you use the 'cheque' or 'savings' transaction type they may charge you a fee.

If they do this, find a better bank. Or at least find a better package with your old one.

None of the three banks I've been with in 20 years have charged for EFTPOS purchases.

The only transaction fees I've paid have been for non-my-bank ATM withdrawals.

Check the fine print of the T&Cs on your account type. I have two accounts: one with a building society and one with a major bank. The building society gives me a 'fee free zone' of up to $10/mth; any transactions that incur a fee will chip away at this until it's exhausted, then I start getting hit with the charges. The major bank doesn't have that on my account type, any transaction fees go straight to me. However, both of them state that if I use the 'credit' transaction I won't get any fees incurred at all.

Hence, I will use my debit cards with credit transactions as much as I possibly can. Since Woolworths doesn't want to accept my money in this fashion, they will stop getting my business. It's as simple as that.

Check the fine print of the T&Cs on your account type. I have two accounts: one with a building society and one with a major bank. The building society gives me a 'fee free zone' of up to $10/mth; any transactions that incur a fee will chip away at this until it's exhausted, then I start getting hit with the charges. The major bank doesn't have that on my account type, any transaction fees go straight to me. However, both of them state that if I use the 'credit' transaction I won't get any fees incurred at all.

Hence, I will use my debit cards with credit transactions as much as I possibly can. Since Woolworths doesn't want to accept my money in this fashion, they will stop getting my business. It's as simple as that.

Alternatively, you could find a bank that doesn't suck, and enjoy ANY type of transaction without paying any fees, ever. Transaction, monthly, or otherwise.

Yeah, they exist. Do your homework. Start here and here. No fees unless banker humans are involved.

If you have to alter your lifestyle to suit your bank's fee schedule, it's the bank that should change, not you.

Alternatively, you could find a bank that doesn't suck, and enjoy ANY type of transaction without paying any fees, ever. Transaction, monthly, or otherwise.

Yeah, they exist. Do your homework. Start here and here. No fees unless banker humans are involved.

If you have to alter your lifestyle to suit your bank's fee schedule, it's the bank that should change, not you.

I understand your point, but I'm not interested in changing banks right now. I've been very happy with the financial institutions I currently deal with. Up to this point I haven't had little to no problems at all. Further, at the building society I have nearly 20 years of history with them and, believe it or not, even today that still counts for something.

I have tried other financial institutions that offer 'online' accounts with low or no fees but I found them difficult to deal with, and even harder sorting out problems should one arise. Plus, I actually enjoy being able to walk into a branch from time-to-time and speak to a real human and seek their assistance in sorting problems out. You may be perfectly happy with your choice of institution, but they're certainly not for me.

As to the current issue, it comes down to a matter of choice. Woolworths choses not to accept the money I'm offering to pay them, so I choose not to shop in their stores. Problem solved.

No biggie for me; I'm not charged a transaction fee for using my CBA Mastercard debit or my Suncorp Visa debit.

That's the crux of the argument: most financial institutions don't charge you any fees as long as you use the 'credit' transaction type. If you use the 'cheque' or 'savings' transaction type they may charge you a fee. As Robzy pointed out a couple of posts ago, the former goes over the CC system (i.e. the retailer picks up the fee) but the latter goes over the EFTPOS system (i.e. the customer pays the fee).

I'd suggest you double-check your T&Cs on your account.

Nope, no fees; I always use 'Savings', (or 'Spendings' as we like to call them), anyway.

Businesses aren't required to provide you with a means of paying via credit card, YOU are required to pay them with the accepted forms of payment.

No but isn't advertising that you accept Visa, then telling the customer that you will not accept CC at the register a form of "bait and switch"?

Woolworths choses not to accept the money I'm offering to pay them

They do, just so long as you use an accepted form of payment.

Businesses aren't required to provide you with a means of paying via credit card, YOU are required to pay them with the accepted forms of payment.

No but isn't advertising that you accept Visa, then telling the customer that you will not accept CC at the register a form of "bait and switch"?

Woolworths will accept credit card payments. It even says so on their website.

http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...bit+transaction

I understand your point, but I'm not interested in changing banks right now. I've been very happy with the financial institutions I currently deal with. Up to this point I haven't had little to no problems at all. Further, at the building society I have nearly 20 years of history with them and, believe it or not, even today that still counts for something.

With that kind of history, I'd be asking them to revise your fee structure.

Transaction fees are so... 90s. :P

I have tried other financial institutions that offer 'online' accounts with low or no fees but I found them difficult to deal with, and even harder sorting out problems should one arise. Plus, I actually enjoy being able to walk into a branch from time-to-time and speak to a real human and seek their assistance in sorting problems out. You may be perfectly happy with your choice of institution, but they're certainly not for me.

I concur. We use a bricks-and-mortar bank ourselves. HSBC was just the first one I could think of at the time. Bankwest and a few of the other smaller banks have unlimited electronic transaction accounts for around $5 a month. Some of them even waive that if you deposit a certain amount each month.

As to the current issue, it comes down to a matter of choice. Woolworths choses not to accept the money I'm offering to pay them, so I choose not to shop in their stores. Problem solved.

I dig, I dig. Just sayin', you're the only one that stands to benefit from at least looking at some other options. The best bank for you since 1990 might not be the best bank for you in 2010.

pappes raises a very valid point. If they advertise they accept payments from Visa or Mastercard, and I'm using a card with the appropriate symbol on it, are they required to accept it? I'm curious to see if this would hold up against the various consumer laws. It's too late to check on it now, but methinks I'll ring the Qld Dept of Fair Trading in the morning. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything...

1shot, I concede that you're correct in stipulating that Woolworths is selecting which payment options they'll accept, but the principal of the argument is I have money to spend in their store and they're not happy with the way I present it to them. I suppose your POV would hold up better if I said I was trying to use postage stamps or gold bullion (both of which are perfectly valid monetary instruments in some situations), but card transactions of all types are such an intrinsic part of doing business these days that it's seems just plain daft to try and restrict their use in this way.

I dig, I dig. Just sayin', you're the only one that stands to benefit from at least looking at some other options. The best bank for you since 1990 might not be the best bank for you in 2010.

I agree that it's a good idea to review things from time-to-time, and select better options for the present. I probably would be happy with shopping around for a new style of account and adjust my spending ways, but it took me a long time to train Mrs. Z to look at the way she uses the cards. One month of $80 in fees from Citibank finally drove the point home (damn, but wasn't I glad to close that account!). Now that she's comfortable with using the accounts this way things are sweet, and I'm not overly keen to go through the whole process again.

Edited by zzozzach

pappes raises a very valid point. If they advertise they accept payments from Visa or Mastercard, and I'm using a card with the appropriate symbol on it, are they required to accept it?
Goddamn!

Read the website that has been linked to close to (if not more than!) half a dozen times. I mean, you even linked to it yourself. Woolworths are advertising that they accept credit card payments but not Visa/Mastercard debit card payments via the credit account type.

Really, how fucking hard can it be?

My current bank, ING Direct, doesn't charge any transaction fees relating to card use (except for international transactions, even on the internet)

I'm just in the habit of hitting the Credit button on EFTPOS terminals.

Goddamn!

Read the website that has been linked to close to (if not more than!) half a dozen times. I mean, you even linked to it yourself. Woolworths are advertising that they accept credit card payments but not Visa/Mastercard debit card payments via the credit account type.

*sigh*

Yes, I read the web site. Even before I made the original post, in which I linked to it.

I realise you're only trying to drive home the point that Woolies is still accepting CC payments and are instead just declining to honour debit card payments on the CC system. I'm not that thick...but you seem determined to imply it. I just agree with pappes that the question should be asked "If they say they accept payment from Visa or Mastercard, should it really matter if it's a credit or debit card?"

If this thread is pissing you off that much maybe you should give it a wide berth.

I'm confused by this? They are canceling the credit card option on debit cards...

Does a debit card not only use what you have in the account anyway meaning they will always use the same money be it sav/chq or credit?

So I don't see what is different by this?

Not being a smart arse or having a go at anyone. I just don't see how it changes anything other then pressing a different button?

Not being a smart arse or having a go at anyone. I just don't see how it changes anything other then pressing a different button?

It means that your signature can not be used as verification for your debit card purchases.

Pressing chq/sav goes through the EFTPOS network.

Pressing "credit" goes through the credit card network.

When it goes through the chq/sav network it can cost the customer, which is why the customer likes to press "credit" - even though it comes out of the same account.

Rob.

Goddamn!

*sigh*

Yes, I read the web site. Even before I made the original post, in which I linked to it.

I realise you're only trying to drive home the point that Woolies is still accepting CC payments and are instead just declining to honour debit card payments on the CC system. I'm not that thick...but you seem determined to imply it. I just agree with pappes that the question should be asked "If they say they accept payment from Visa or Mastercard, should it really matter if it's a credit or debit card?"

There is no implication.