Sign in to follow this  
huntedwumpus

Shattered Horizon

I have been playing Shattered Horizon for a little over a month now, got fairly used to the game before the new DLC.

Anyone on the forums play?

If so, any thoughts on the new DLC? I didnt enjoy all the new guns much at first.. but now I am beginning to enjoy the variety. And the new Grenades are awesome.

I Don't think many people do play it man, you would probably be one of the only ones in Australia.

I went back to try it out when the added the weapons pack, I think the weapons pack has ruined the game now. It was so much better with the 1 weapon that had 3 functions.

I went back to try it out when the added the weapons pack, I think the weapons pack has ruined the game now. It was so much better with the 1 weapon that had 3 functions.

I thought this too at first, the new weapons look ugly and horrible compared to the first all purpose gun. And the new "grenade pistol" was a terrible idea as well.

BUT all this aside, i find myself enjoying the game quite a bit due to each gun giving people different roles. I know that you could technically snipe with the original gun, but sniping with the railgun is soo much easier. The shotgun and the pick axe make close quarters more enjoyable as well.

Also, the new flare grenade and the decoy are VERY useful making the game more interesting to me. Popping a flare out behind me while rushing the enemy is a great feeling knowing that i will be out of their vision.

As I am not currently in Australia it makes it a little easier to find people to paly with, but it seems to me like there are plenty of Europeans Australians playing in the 3 or 4 servers that are constantly active.

o.O rail gun, we need more rail guns in games these days, that alone makes me want to give it a go.

I do love the idea of it, but from what I understand, my system can't run it properly, and no one else can either.

I tried it about 4 months ago, was getting a constant 50fps or so. Didn't look that great though and ran worse than games that look better.

It was pretty crap anyway.

Its a pretty unique concept and takes some getting used to. I found myself not liking it at first solely for the fact that i was terrible at navigating a 3D enviroment and using it to my advantage to eliminate the other team.

I guess it sort of "clicks" after a while and it became alot more fun to me.

Imagine a cylindrical tube tunnel going vertical with a lip at the top. hanging upside down from the lip (like a bat) you can see all the way to the bottom of the tube to enemies coming up, as well as enemies coming through the top of the tube. It is highly unlikely that in the shadow of the lip anyone will see you if your suit is powered down.

^ It is situations like this that makes the game so enjoyable and different than any other online FPS.

But i do agree, it runs like crap on most systems, I barely cranked out 30 fps average on my old 8800GTX Q6600 setup.

Now that i have a 480GTX and an I7930 I have no problem keeping a solid 45 or greater FPS, the game looks beautiful.. but i suppose that is up to the person judging.

I used to struggle to stay over 50fps with 2 5850s...dunno if its more optimised or not now, but it looks just like the futuremark benchmarks (which all look like shit imo)

I used to struggle to stay over 50fps with 2 5850s...dunno if its more optimised or not now, but it looks just like the futuremark benchmarks (which all look like shit imo)

I should have my second 5850 :) next week had to RMA one so i grabed another one while they are sorting it.

Yeah, the futuremark benchmarks always look too fuzzy and "pretty", with no real substance. Like Unreal Tournament 3, actually.

I don't know how nukejockey can call it an ugly game. Some of the (HD) trailers and screenshots are mesmerising. It's a pity that I can't really participate because even on the lower settings, it's too jerky when in combat to really enjoy it.

I guess its just personal preference. I hear two-sided opinions every day about it. I think the game is beautiful, but i could see why someone would think its too fuzzy or ugly looking. I think it has a nice gritty and dirty tone to it, and the shadows and lighting are really impressive.

No it isnt crysis, but its a good looking game, and YES the new patch made the compatability and stability issues alot better.

I don't know how nukejockey can call it an ugly game. Some of the (HD) trailers and screenshots are mesmerising. It's a pity that I can't really participate because even on the lower settings, it's too jerky when in combat to really enjoy it.

Because they're videos and they're most likely doctored.

Anyway, my experience is from the start of the year, chances are its alot better now and doesn't have buggy lighting and shadows and ugly models and bland, boring textures.

Shattered Horizon is having a free weekend on steam fro mthe 4th-6th of June. Now is a good a time as any to try it out hah.

I believe its also going to be half priced during that time.

totally worth it in my opinion.