Harro2

6TB, 24 SSD's in raid 0

Hey guys, I was looking for information on the new A-RAM Ultra II 100GB SSD which im thinking of buying.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13997

But I can not find any information or reviews of this Drive. Is it worth getting/any good/reliable?

After a google search gave no real results, I decided to see if any one had posted information about the A-RAM Ultra II on youtube.

To no avail I looked up SSD vid's in general to see what they can do in real world computing. I was very impressed at the improved load times of windows, programs and games.

Then I came across this bit of Awesomeness. 24 SSD's in raid 0......OMG 6TB@2GB/sec..Truely atomic geekness

While not practical/cost effective yet it does give an insight into what computing will be like in what 5 maybe 10 years time?

The vid just shows how Hard drives are the bottleneck of every computer system.

Also for interest have alook at this bit of Tech, 2TB PCI Express SSD. Can't wait for these to get under $500

Edited by Harro2

Hey guys, I was looking for information on the new A-RAM Ultra II 100GB SSD which im thinking of buying.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13997

But I can not find any information or reviews of this Drive. Is it worth getting/any good/reliable?

With SSD performance it all basically comes down to what controller they use. Just look for reviews of other SSDs that use the same controller though unless this brand is a lot cheaper then other brands with the same specifications, I'd rather get the other a bigger brand instead.

Its up to you if you want to get an SSD from A-RAM. From my point of view, they have very limited resources for support, judging from their website. And, as bentan said, they vary very little. The only difference is in their firmware updates and their controllers. So, do your homework, and choose carefully. It is an expensive piece of kit and youll want as much support as you can get with them.

can't wait for the SSD's to come down in price too.

That's insane though. 6TB of Raid0 SSD's. price would be incomprehensible at the moment.

Deffinately the HDD's are the bottleneck for accessing the data.

as mentioned previously, i'd go with one of the big players for the support they will be able to offer after the purchase.

I have said this before "So much raid, so little recoverable data when it all goes wrong" But while it is very cool, IMHO it is also very impracticable.

I ended up buying a 64GB G-Skill Falcon II and installed windows7 on it, as I read in forums from other people that they where happy with thier purchase. So for now I stuck with tried and tested Indilinx Barefoot controller SSD. It also shipped with the latest firmware. (1916?) So should be bug free.

I would have liked to have gone for the 100GB A-RAM Ultra II -with NEW sandforce controller- but I just couldnt find any info on them from users, good or bad. I figured I'd get something small and cheepish (for a SSD) which was a tad under $250, so I can experience an SSD now. Later when larger SSD get cheeper I can make the upgrade.

With my upgrade, It now takes under 25 seconds to boot and have explorer usable. It used to take 90 seconds on my HHD with windows XP.

So far im really liking how everything just feels snappier/resposive. On top of that I'm really liking Windows 7. I must have spent a few hours making sure I had all the latest drivers for every bit of hardware on my computer, as I usually do when installing a new OS. To my dismay windows detected everything and had the drivers done. So was an easy install and everything just worked. Just awsome. The only driver I had to install was the Wi-Fi on my P5K deluxe motherboard, which I dont even use anyway. Overall Im very happy with the G-Skill Falcon II.

Edited by Harro2

actually the G.Skill Falcon is faster than the Falcon II (you'd expect it to be the other way around)....not that it matters now - don't mix up the firmware for the 2x SSD's either, you CAN'T use Falcon firmware on a Falcon II, and vice versa.

;)

It'd be fast, if the SSD controllers are up to task - but RAID 0 is like russian roulette.

I don't know why you are all so worried about raid 0.

Ever heard of backups?

There is a bit more to risky RAID designations than just data loss. You've got all kinds of fun complex things like silent data corruption and sentient controller failure in there too. Chances are, you'd never know it was happening until it was too late!

z

Ever heard of backups?

There is a bit more to risky RAID designations than just data loss. You've got all kinds of fun complex things like silent data corruption and sentient controller failure in there too. Chances are, you'd never know it was happening until it was too late!

z

But if you were backing up regularly, it wouldn't be much of a worry.

Ever heard of backups?

z

But if you were backing up regularly, it wouldn't be much of a worry.

If you're backing up SDC'ed data, then you're effectively backing up problems and compounding the issue. This isn't as cut and dry as that. Stuff happening at a filesystem bitwise level that you'd never notice until fishing through a backup one day and realising a bit had been flipped on a logical block address that translates to that word document you so dearly needed...

As I said. This stuff just isn't as simple as people think it is, nor is it as black and white as people perceive.

z