Sign in to follow this  
hectorbustnuts

Hector smash!

The Justice League cartoon wasn't too bad. That's DC though.

I know there have been a few around, but can't really recommend many. More a reader than a Watcher (geddit? Watcher. As in...., argh, forget it. :p)

hector, wanna be my friend? :P I wanna see your "comic book collection!" :P

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/hect.../Tradeslist.jpg

:D

On cartoons, a quick wiki also reminds me of the DVD "feature" films Marvel have done in the last few years:

2006 Ultimate Avengers & Ultimate Avengers 2

2007 The Invincible Iron Man & Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme

2008 Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow

2009 Hulk Vs. Wolverine

2010 Planet Hulk

There's also a "Thor" series and an "Avengers" series in the works due later this year.

The Justice League cartoon wasn't too bad. That's DC though.

I'd have also said "Batman: The Brave and the Bold", which is awesomely awesome...but it too is DC.

Edited by hectorbustnuts

Yeah, watched the Planet Hulk feature recently, it surprisingly good, and quite close to the source material.

I have a copy of the Ultimate Avengers movies laying around, might get onto them this weekend. Were they any good?

Yeah, watched the Planet Hulk feature recently, it surprisingly good, and quite close to the source material.

I have a copy of the Ultimate Avengers movies laying around, might get onto them this weekend. Were they any good?

Dunno. Never got around to watching them.

I too prefer reading.

I've got the issues of the Fantastic Four where Wolverine, Hulk, Spiderman and Ghostrider become the Fantastic Four for a few issues. Good stuff. Was pretty epic seeing the 4 of them on one team. Though Hulk was the scrubby Grey one again. Smart Hulk is fail. I want unstoppable green titan.

I've got the issues of the Fantastic Four where Wolverine, Hulk, Spiderman and Ghostrider become the Fantastic Four for a few issues. Good stuff. Was pretty epic seeing the 4 of them on one team. Though Hulk was the scrubby Grey one again. Smart Hulk is fail. I want unstoppable green titan.

Gray wasn't as strong, but was damn sneaky and cunning.

(yes, I spend my money on more than make-up and booze. :p)

I know. But I don't smart Hulk. I want giant mindless gibbering Hulk that can turn a person into slurry. He's much more fun.

Wolverine's still my favorite though, the issue where they find out his claws are actually part of him and not part of his gloves was great (yes, the Xmen thought his claws were built into his gloves for a while). Originally the plan for him was much different than what he turned into, but good writers have really taken care of him over the last 20 or so years. They gave him great relationships with his team mates. Him and Shadowcat was one of the first father/daughter figure type relationships in the X books. He's nailed almost ever chick in the Marvel universe. Which isn't bad for a 200 year old dude.

What do you comic book fans think of the movies that have been coming out of late?

I love the Xmen movies and I love The Punisher.

Are the punisher comics fun to read? Coz the movie was fantastic.

*EDIT* Tom Jane, not dolph lundren or that other dude in the new one)

Edited by nukejockey

What do you comic book fans think of the movies that have been coming out of late?

I love the Xmen movies and I love The Punisher.

Are the punisher comics fun to read? Coz the movie was fantastic.

*EDIT* Tom Jane, not dolph lundren or that other dude in the new one)

Punisher by Garth Ennis rocks. Actually, most anything by Garth Ennis rocks. :>)

If by "fun" you mean bloody, violent, and disturbing, then yes. :>)

Movies are hit and miss. Some are ok, some are really good, and some make you cringe. Varies.

Barbie speaks of the Punisher MAX Imprint. It was indeed good. Gone severely downhill since Ennis left, sadly.

*EDIT* While the MAX character is very different to the Thomas Jane movie, I liked both a lot. The new "War Zone" movie that was supposed to take after the MAX Imprint... didn't. It didn't at all. Even remotely.

Edited by tantryl

Barbie speaks of the Punisher MAX Imprint. It was indeed good. Gone severely downhill since Ennis left, sadly.

*EDIT* While the MAX character is very different to the Thomas Jane movie, I liked both a lot. The new "War Zone" movie that was supposed to take after the MAX Imprint... didn't. It didn't at all. Even remotely.

So, it sucked badly? I never got around to seeing the sequel, changing the lead role after 1 film didn't fill me with confidence.

And yes, it certainly has slid badly. I gave it a chance, but it was never the same. Had better things to spend my hard-earned on. Too many new series to try out. :>)

Edited by Barbies1ut

So, it sucked badly? I never got around to seeing the sequel, changing the lead role after 1 film didn't fill me with confidence.

And yes, it certainly has slid badly. I gave it a chance, but it was never the same. Had better things to spend my hard-earned on. Too many new series to try out. :>)

I couldn't sit through it the first time. I had to turn it off and have another run at it a few weeks later.

Punisher does stupid Hollywood crap like spin around in the centre of a room firing two handguns and magically never getting hit, even though he's essentially a stationary target (just cos you're spinning, doesn't mean bullets can't hit you), the bad guys are simple over the top megalomaniacs - imagine Joker from the Burton Batman just after he sees his reworked face for the first time... FOR THE ENTIRE FILM - with no real plan or skill or anything. Punisher is pretty similar, seems to blunder from scene to scene for no particular reason.

Terrible film. I had hope they could string an actual character and plot together since the director did Green Street Hooligans. But apparently not.

Yeah, I never bothered to see War Zone after I found out Thomas Jane wasn't in it.

Do you think he did a good job? His acting seemed fairly good, he actually came across as a disturbed/depressed guy with nothing to love for.

The fact that hes not a super hero as such is even more awesome coz hes still so bad ass.

Is it still possible to get the MAX punisher comics? If they're the good ones to read...

Also, sorry for derailing your thread so much hector!

For the record, what I linked are collected editions. You can filter by paperback by using the Format drop down box.

*EDIT* Grab Punisher Barracuda and Punisher Born from Ennis as well. Barracuda is a character introduced in the Punisher MAX comics, and while Born isn't actually part of the MAX imprint, it fits perfectly with it and is pretty awesome.

Edited by tantryl

Hulk and Wolverine are notorious for fighting each other!

snip snip

Wolverine and Spider-man team up a fair bit too.

This one, http://au.comics.ign.com/articles/108/1088051p1.html only kicked off last week with the first issue (of 6) and really doesn't require any more background knowledge than what one might pick up in passing.

The interesting thing with the ultimate hulk vs wolverine series (aside from how long it took to be finished!) was with hulk ripping wolverine in half, it put just how unbreakable adamantium was into question. From what I understand this has yet to be addressed in the ultimate universe which is interesting since it is firmly established in the earth 616 universe.

Hulk and Wolverine are notorious for fighting each other!

snip snip

Wolverine and Spider-man team up a fair bit too.

This one, http://au.comics.ign.com/articles/108/1088051p1.html only kicked off last week with the first issue (of 6) and really doesn't require any more background knowledge than what one might pick up in passing.

The interesting thing with the ultimate hulk vs wolverine series (aside from how long it took to be finished!) was with hulk ripping wolverine in half, it put just how unbreakable adamantium was into question. From what I understand this has yet to be addressed in the ultimate universe which is interesting since it is firmly established in the earth 616 universe.

I think the point made was that his back isn't a solid rod of adamantium, and the bones are laced with it, bit the joints need to be flexible,m and I guess combine that "give" with a mega-enraged Hulk, and yeah, Wolverine ended up beside himself. :p

Wasn'y so much the adamantium-enhanced bone that broke, more the soft-tissue and cord.

For the record, what I linked are collected editions. You can filter by paperback by using the Format drop down box.

*EDIT* Grab Punisher Barracuda and Punisher Born from Ennis as well. Barracuda is a character introduced in the Punisher MAX comics, and while Born isn't actually part of the MAX imprint, it fits perfectly with it and is pretty awesome.

Yeah, sorry about that, I hadn't actually followed your link until after I typed and sent my last reply.

Edited by Barbies1ut

I think my favorite Hulk bit was during the Onslaught thing. Hulk was a hybrid at the time. Bruce Banner mind in the Hulk's crazy strong body.

Onslaught was the physical manifestation of Professor X's decades of repressed emotion. It was devistation to anything that came up against it. During the final pages, the entire Marvel Universe showed up to fight it.

During the fight, Hulk had Jean Grey switch off Banner totally. There has always been a little shred of humanity in the Hulk. This was the Hulk unleashed. Onslaught was winning and gloating and it pissed the Hulk off. He hit Onslaught hard enough to cause a mushroom cloud.

A fucking mushroom cloud.

Win.

Sigh. I keep hearing all this awesome shit about these comics that makes me want to splooge and now I just regret never getting into them =(

Sigh. I keep hearing all this awesome shit about these comics that makes me want to splooge and now I just regret never getting into them =(

It's never too late.

Kept me from being bored when younger. Even educated me at times. Even if my parents thought it was odd for a girl to be doing so. I'm not as "girly" as they'd prefer. :>)

Gah! I've missed a hell of a lot of talk in here!

I think you'd probably dig the relaunched "Hulk" comic Ghost...there's Green "Hulk Smash!" Hulk vs Red "Smart" Hulk. Takes a little while to get what Jeph Loeb's doing with the story, but it's pretty damn fun.

Actually...you might know...I missed a whole mess of Hulk titles between Bruce Jone's "Fugitive" arc and "Planet Hulk". In "Planet Hulk", Hulk was articulate and quite strategic...and I never knew when he changed from dumb Hulk to Smart Hulk...and as much as I liked PH, it was something that always grated.

Nukey, thinking on it last night, a great all-encompasing, all-in-one Marvel story that shows a alot of the MU interacting together would be "Marvels". It's less a "super-hero" book and more a look at how society views the super-heroes of their world.

I thought I'd commented in here, but obviously forgot to. That print is epic.

It's not a print...it's the original production page art.

If you hold it up to the light you can see the inking layers and in some places the pencilling underneath.

But, yes. It is epic.

Edited by hectorbustnuts