Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Oracle X

Looking for a decent ethernet or wireless printer/scanner

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a decent printer/scanner (not worried about fax as I will be using Naked ADSL with VOIP). I'm looking for something with:

1) low price: around 200-300ish

2) something that use cheap cartridges say $50/cartridge

3) 2000 pages per cartridge

4) need ethernet so I can hook it up to my router

5) possibly wireless as well if I can't

I found this one HP OfficeJet Pro8500 $449 with 2 cartridges ($249 after cashback) with $50/cartridge and 2000p/cartridge and ethernet support at JB HiFi.

But I ready some bad reviews about it.

Anyone got any recommendations for me?

Thanks

Stay away from the Epson TX810FW. It has all the features you mentioned and is in the price range, but I'm really not impressed with it. Constantly grabs a bundle of paper when printing, wireless connection is a pain to setup and fails often.

Previously we've used the more expensive Canon MP730 and MP830. They got heavy use and performed very well, but died around the 2-3 year mark each time. Thought we'd try another brand to see if they lasted any longer, but right now I'm kicking myself for not spending a bit more and getting either a $500 Brother with the same features, or another Canon MP990. The MP990 just doesn't "look" as heavy duty as the previous models in that series, but I don't really know if it is or not.

I doubt you'll find a decent printer that has ink in that price range (ours have always been around the $90-100 mark for a set of cartridges), but good luck. :-)

Another option is to go for a standard USB Printer and pick up a 40 dollar Ethernet print server.

All you need to do then is set it up in LRP mode and bobs your uncle.

Much more options on printers that way.

Rob

Thought about spending some more and getting a decent Laser MFP?

To get a decent colour laser MFP (4ppm colour printing is quite a drop from 28-33ppm) and all the features he wants (ethernet/wireless), he'd be looking at $700+.

That's why we haven't seriously considered one, way too pricey for what they are IMO. :-)

I got this lexmark x6575 http://www.digitalstar.com.au/detail.aspx?ID=43156

for $99 on a catch of the day sale early last year.

I've had no problems with it at all (only glitch i had was when I did a hard reset of the router after a firmware update, printer couldn't find the network and i had to reinstall the drivers - initial network configuration has to be done during driver install via USB)

full duplex is also very usefull.

I don't know how many pages you get per ink cartridge but they only cost ~$40 from office works for the high yield ones

and while you say your not worried about fax I have faxed with it through piggy backing off a SIP phone on my naked dsl too. It can be usefull on the rare occasion when you do have to fax something.

Edited by drago13666

That Lexmark looks pretty good, thanks drago, I think I'll look into USB Printer + Print Server first like motiv suggests.

Thanks guys.

That Lexmark looks pretty good, thanks drago, I think I'll look into USB Printer + Print Server first like motiv suggests.

Thanks guys.

Be very careful of that, a lot of printers are not supported by print servers due to the proprietary print language some printers use.

Scanners on MFDs you can forget about with a separate print server.

Thanks guys.

Be very careful of that, a lot of printers are not supported by print servers due to the proprietary print language some printers use.

Scanners on MFDs you can forget about with a separate print server.

damn, thanks for the heads up aliali

Been burnt a couple of times with that. Perhaps better clarify too. With the MFDs the printer may work but the scanner most likely won't.

Personally I would avoid a separate print server and go for a fully networked printer or MFD.

One option would be a network printer then just buy a separate USB powered flatbed scanner, which can be plugged in when needed.

Something like the Lide 100 from Canon.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/For-You/Faxe...canners/LiDE100

You know I had the same problem finding a ethernet printer/scanner about 5 years ago. I can't believe that after all this time there's still only so few choices. Has printer technology just stalled?

You know I had the same problem finding a ethernet printer/scanner about 5 years ago. I can't believe that after all this time there's still only so few choices. Has printer technology just stalled?

Seems to have a bit. While plenty of new models come out they often seem to be just a repackage of an older model with different ink tanks, so you then have to buy the genuine overpriced tanks till the "generic" guys reverse engineer the chips and flood the market with reasonably priced tanks.

This is one reason I bought a laser MFD, while the one I got still needs genuine toner cartridges (no generics available for the Samsung CLX-2160) the price is not too bad considering how long they last. Just wish I had spent the extra on the N version.

I still have an inkjet which I use for CD/DVD printing and the odd photo (Canon IP4300) but as it does not get used very often ink lasts me for ages.

We're only interested in all-in-ones, and we use FAX quite often, but I've been pretty impressed with the selection. They're a bit out of the OP's price range though. If your budget is around the $500 mark, you have a considerable selection. Just wish I could find more decent reviews before parting with my money each and every time. :-)