Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
SacrificialNewt

Campbelltown/Narellan

We may be moving again as Spent has a new job in Narellan. We've looked at rentals all over and whilst we're no strangers to Campbelltown or it's surrounds, we could sure use an insiders view on which areas to avoid?

Where you at now? If the travel time is less than around an hour to and from work, I'd suggest you not move.

Not worth the trouble, IMO...

We are in Rouse Hill. It's more than an hours drive and tolls are $68.80 per week. Driving to avoid the tolls is neither cost nor time effective. We also pay more than $100p/w more in rent than similar houses in the Campbelltown area.

It is not only worth it, but we have little option other than to move...again.

Since you are in Rouse Hill then I'd strongly advise that you do move.

But try to avoid Campbelltown if you can. I'd suggest moving to the East Hills area, around Panania or somewhere around there, so you're only within 30mins of travel to work.

Unfortunately those areas then go up in price to what we're already paying or more. We want to start saving more in order to purchase.

SN, I can give you a full run down on any Sydney suburb, thanks to work :P

Camden and Narellan is pretty good, its a bit like a country town, just a little bit more developed. There are a few housing estates in that area now, Harrington Park for example, kinda reminds me of Windsor Downs and Glenmore Park, that type of estate. Id probably look around that way, anywhere near Camden, Narellan Vale, Elderslie. all seems pretty quiet, on the 000 line scale anyway. Its not very busy in terms of emergency workload, so take that as you will. Areas with a low 000 workload, I find, are nice areas to be.

Campbelltown...I guess Campbelltown the suburb itself is alright, but PM me if you want a list of suburbs id avoid like the plague in the area...

If this was me, id be looking more toward Camden and Narellan. Nice and quiet, like a modern country town. And its not too far to drive to Campbelltown for the major shops and hospital. Its also not a far drive to go up The Northern Rd into Penrith and western Sydney burbs. I just would avoid some of Campbelltown's smaller, less inviting suburbs with some of the people who reside there and the shit that goes down out there, regularly.

SN, I can give you a full run down on any Sydney suburb, thanks to work :P

Camden and Narellan is pretty good, its a bit like a country town, just a little bit more developed. There are a few housing estates in that area now, Harrington Park for example, kinda reminds me of Windsor Downs and Glenmore Park, that type of estate. Id probably look around that way, anywhere near Camden, Narellan Vale, Elderslie. all seems pretty quiet, on the 000 line scale anyway. Its not very busy in terms of emergency workload, so take that as you will. Areas with a low 000 workload, I find, are nice areas to be.

Campbelltown...I guess Campbelltown the suburb itself is alright, but PM me if you want a list of suburbs id avoid like the plague in the area...

If this was me, id be looking more toward Camden and Narellan. Nice and quiet, like a modern country town. And its not too far to drive to Campbelltown for the major shops and hospital. Its also not a far drive to go up The Northern Rd into Penrith and western Sydney burbs. I just would avoid some of Campbelltown's smaller, less inviting suburbs with some of the people who reside there and the shit that goes down out there, regularly.

I had a friend in Ambarvale. I'd avoid that area like the plague. I also know to avoid Claymore. Elderslie is where I wanted but the rent is just a little higher there than surrounding areas. We're looking at the other areas near Narellan and Menangle the closest. I looked at the Myschool site and as far as public high schools go, Elderslie is the only one that isn't below the average for the NAPLAN tests - hence why this is my top choice. I might try to get'em child in there anyway - she comes with excellent reports so they may let us even if we're out of area. If I'm going to make her move it's the least I can do for her.

Thanks, Cheeks :)

Avoid Minto.

The T is silent, according to the locals its pronounced " MINNO!!!" :P

If you are set on Elderslie and like that general area, these are some other suburbs close by that would also be alright:

Grasmere, Spring Farm, Kirkham, Ellis Lane, Camden, Camden South, Camden Park, Narellan, Narellan Vale, Harrington Park, Smeaton Grange, Currans Hill, Mount Annan.

Edited by CheekyChops

My Aunty, Uncle and my cousins grew up and still live in Narellan.

I used to go there once a year EVERY year.

It seems like a nice quiet place to live.( from what i remember)

Good luck with it all.

+ 1 to pretty much everything written above.

I work out Campbelltown way (courier work) and my pick would definitely be Narellan/Camden for accomodation as well as decent shopping.

I love it bradbury. Its nice.

Avoid the following areas:

Airds

Claymore

Rosemeadow

Claymore

Minto

Some parts of Ingleburn

Some parts of Woodbine

Claymore

Macquarie fields (Do not confuse with Macquarie Links. It's very nice there)

Narellan and Camden are alright. No train stations though. Will need to either go to Macarthur or Campbelltown.

Macarthur and Menagle are good areas, Glen Alpine and Macarthur Gardens in particular.

As the folks have said, skip Minto, Ambarvale, Claymore and Raby. and for the love of God stay away from Blair Athol!

St Andrews is near ingleburn, Ingleburn proper is good too, Mt Annan is also a good area that's between ctown and narellan.

Oh, and the Appin side of Rose Meadow (far far away from Ambarvale) is also good.

Edited by Count

Macarthur and Menagle are good areas, Glen Alpine and Macarthur Gardens in particular.

As the folks have said, skip Minto, Ambarvale, Claymore and Raby. and for the love of God stay away from Blair Athol!

St Andrews is near ingleburn, Ingleburn proper is good too, Mt Annan is also a good area that's between ctown and narellan.

Oh, and the Appin side of Rose Meadow (far far away from Ambarvale) is also good.

I'm curious as to what's worse at Blair Athol than the other places you named. Blair Athol is a newish area and I know it's close to Claymore but I haven't heard any specifics about it.

We refer to Raby as "Rabies" lol.

Blair Athol, its a bit close to the other undesireable suburbs. I guess it would be ok, like some have mentioned with the burbs above some parts are ok and some arent, it might be a case of that. But if unsure, just avoid it until you know the area a bit better and start to get an idea and a feel for the place. TBH I dont really know either, but if people above are saying to avoid, then probably just avoid until you get a proper feel for the area yourself to make up your own mind.

I know Blair Athol. It's behind the area where Aldi and Sizzlers are. I know someone who dropped Homecare magazines there a few years back and they thought it was great as it was the 'rich' (lol) area of Campbelltown - hence why I wonder why it deserved such special mention.

I have nothing to contribute to the topic but i wonder whether you guys could say why those places are bad :). very curious

(living in epping, sydney btw)

Lots of pockets of housing commission, cheap socio-economic area, very multi-cultural - but the sort of multi-cultural that comes with fights, knifings etc, high crime rate...that sort of thing.

Quite often its where the dregs of society are kept out of sight and out of mind. Until they riot and everyone remembers that they're there.

It's more than an hours drive and tolls are $68.80 per week.

The fuck you say?

You guys pay $240 a MONTH just to drive on the roads paid for by the money they steal in taxation?

I'll add that to my long list of reasons not to live in Sydney.

Blair Athol, its a bit close to the other undesireable suburbs. I guess it would be ok, like some have mentioned with the burbs above some parts are ok and some arent, it might be a case of that. But if unsure, just avoid it until you know the area a bit better and start to get an idea and a feel for the place. TBH I dont really know either, but if people above are saying to avoid, then probably just avoid until you get a proper feel for the area yourself to make up your own mind.

I'm curious as to what's worse at Blair Athol than the other places you named. Blair Athol is a newish area and I know it's close to Claymore but I haven't heard any specifics about it.

5 houses in Blair Athol were raided by cops about 12 months ago for being drug labs. Blair Athol may be the "rich" part of campbelltown, now you know why. They usually run drugs out of the place even after the raids, usually gangs of teens hanging around the lower houses nearer the road. So it's safer to avoid there altogether.

Edited by Count

I live in Camden. Its not bad the surrounding areas are good but personally i wouldn't go any closer than mt Annan to Campbelltown but that just personal preference, (i hate Campbelltown).

Ive worked in Narellan and have done work that involved driving to Campbelltown and its really not a bad drive its fairly quick.

Just my 2 cents.

The fuck you say?

You guys pay $240 a MONTH just to drive on the roads paid for by the money they steal in taxation?

Yerp! $6.88 each way. It's a cumulative toll but if you go further than 4 exits the maximum is reached regardless.

Thanks Count - that's exactly the sort of information I'm wanting!

I have nothing to contribute to the topic but i wonder whether you guys could say why those places are bad :). very curious

(living in epping, sydney btw)

I work for the emergency services.

Those areas have the highest incidents of crime and violence related 000 calls in all of Sydney. Its the busiest area in terms of emergency workload. The quietest area is Sydney's North, as in the Shore and the north beaches are pretty much quiet, can get through a night with maybe only a few emergency calls to an elderly person having a stroke, a heart attack or fallen out of bed. Maybe a sick child having an asthma attack or an allergy or something. Normal medical related emergencies. Rare for it to be a crime/violence related emergency, although they do happen, not nearly as much as it does for the other areas mentioned to avoid.

Big contrast to the South Western hotspots like the above mentioned burbs when the majority is crime/violence related emergencies, mixed in with an increased amount of medical emergencies on top of that, maybe due to the lower socio-economic status of the residents in the area, relying on free services for transport to the hospital and not enough money to look after themselves better and pay for medicines or health services, so are sicker as a result. Maybe they dont own a car so cant drive their loved ones to hospital or a doctor, so will call for an ambulance as it is free for pensioners and people on the dole in NSW.

Its also interesting to look at the medical emergencies of different areas around Sydney. Its REALLY interesting to see that for the lower socio-economic areas, people calling for heart attacks and emergencies related to pretty serious illness are much younger in age than those along the more "rich" parts of Sydney calling for the same problem, such as the North Shore. Again, maybe its a money thing, they dont have to work as hard, I dont know. In the south west area, its not uncommon to have people in their 40's and 50's calling for suspected heart attacks, or are terminally ill and not doing so well. Compared to the "rich" areas, people this young hardly ever call for such problems, its people much older, in their 70's, 80's, 90's and even some beyond 100. Even talking to them on the phone, in the south western areas, I thought I was talking to a very elderly person once, until they told me they were only 40. But that said, I forget where this person was from, but they were well into their 90's and was alert and witty and active as in she were much younger, I was very suprised to hear she was in her 90's. I could have easily believed she was in her 60's.

While we service the entire Sydney area, we break it down into areas for micro management, and each area is different, and is somewhat predictable as to what the workload will be for any given day, time of day or year etc.

Of course, there are always exceptions, freak accidents and of course there is no where in the world that is free from bad people and bad things. I, for example, grew up in Penrith and Kingswood, notorious areas with a high density of dead shits and bogans, high crime rate and low socio-economic status. So I know what its like to live in those areas, and I still swear blind that penrith really isnt that bad as its made out to be, but I can certainly see why it is painted like that. While I think the best thing I did was move out of there, I still fondly call it home :P

The fuck you say?

Its not like that for everyone in Sydney.

Takes me 10 mins to drive to work and costs me $0 in tolls.