Sign in to follow this  
jubbing

Best Network Providor?

Basically I have TPG, and they do a decent job (from time to time), but I know now there are PLENTY of other alternative companies.

I get 5.5mb/s max when I should be getting 15 at least (as confirmed by TPG). SO I don't know if it is house wiring or what, I'm like 1km away from exchange.

Are there those network providors that give they speed they specify as per distance from exchange?

There are too many factors to take into account when it comes to the final transfer speeds. Line noise, house wiring, street wiring (which you HOPE is ok), how wiring is terminated, how many connections there are, etc. There is no guarantee that you will get the quoted speed.

A few things you can try are:

- Make sure your modem is running a recent firmware release, especially if you are running with firmware that is very old or the initial release. I know it's a cop out when someone says upgrade your firmware, but it does quite often help and only takes a few minutes.

- Try an isolation test. Unplug all phones/devices on the line, leaving only the modem plugged in. Do not use a filter here. Check your line speeds and download speeds. This isolates if another device is adding noise to the line. If it helps, add one device at a time and check if something changes in regards to transfer speeds.

- Make sure that every phone on the same line has got a filter attached. The modem should not be filtered. (If you have one of the splitter filters, make sure the modem is plugged into the correct port).

- If you have a friend who has adsl, ask if you can borrow their modem or if they can test yours. This is probably a long shot but can help to isolate hardware problems. (I don't think this will be your case, but it's something to try before changing ISP)

- If you are using bandwidth test sites, make sure that you are using something hosted in Australia, and run multiple tests at different times of the day. Using one test only is not going to prove anything.

- If you suspect dodgy cabling in the house, try another place in the house, preferably as close as possible to the place where the cable enters the house. (This may or may not be known)

I don't think any consumer ISP will guarantee you X bandwidth. Yes you can try another ISP but it is highly possible that you will get the same kind of results. Rule out anything local before making any drastic changes.

if TPG support it try changing your modem connection setting from PPPoE to PPPoA.

I know technically it shouldnt make much of a difference; but with Exetel it was a whole 2.5Mbps difference ><

Yea Chancellor, done ALL that like 20 times (excpet trying to find net connection from someone nearby)

And PPoA or wtv shut donw my net lol.. so fail on that for me.

Having read and considered the information in this thread, I can only come to one conclusion.....

TPG SUCK.

It's time to switch!

From memory TPG do support both PPPoE and PPPoA, so it's worth giving it a shot. (Unfortunately I can't test this for you as I don't have my TPG connection anymore.)

If you do change to PPPoA, you will need to change to VC based multiplexing. PPPoE will be LLC. (Just in case you did not change both at the same time)

As a matter of interest:

-What modem do you have?

-How are you testing the connection? Are you reading the numbers from the modem sync speed, or using a test site? If the later, what does the modem sync speed get reported as? (This should be in the modem status page.)

Also a quick note, if you have done all of the above and are still having trouble, that should be enough for TPG to organise Telstra to send a line commit to confirm your connection to outside the house. If you iso test and have slow speed with a 2nd modem, there is really not much else you can do other than having your own electrician check the wiring in your house.

Edited by ArcaneMagik

WNDR3700, its gotten a little faster now after a bit of complaining on the whirlpool forums. Speedtesting done via speedtest.net as well as router status page.

Having read and considered the information in this thread, I can only come to one conclusion.....

TPG SUCK.

It's time to switch!

Posted Image

I'm also with TPG and love it. No problems and cheap as chips with awesome quota. It's ok though... I know you're trolling and just looking to stir the pot. Nice try though.

Despite my personal thoughts on TPG as a company, I can not complain about the end product for the given price. You do get what you paid for in most cases. And yes you will read bad things about every provider.

As ArcaneMagik states, give TPG a call and ask if they can organise for a telstra tech to come out. You have done just about all of the tests that you can do by yourself, though I would suggest testing with another modem to check if that syncs at a higher speed.

I'm also with TPG and love it. No problems and cheap as chips with awesome quota. It's ok though... I know you're trolling and just looking to stir the pot. Nice try though.

I'm not trolling. I just refuse to support a company that gives rubbish customer service and which out sources all of it's customer service staff to a country where I'd regard the people residing in this country to have intelligence barely higher than primates.

I'm not trolling. I just refuse to support a company that gives rubbish customer service and which out sources all of it's customer service staff to a country where I'd regard the people residing in this country to have intelligence barely higher than primates.

That country that the call centre is located in is the Philippines and since i was born there i take offence to that.

Fuck you.

Edited by eat_the_flag

Dude, you continually put your foot into shit and you wonder why people think you stink?

That is one of the most retarded things you have said in a while, and by while I mean a week or so.

Think before posting.

Well if you're dumb enough that you NEED support then you only deserve to pay for customer support, rather than awesome quotas and flawless service.

Well that stupidity did well for you. See you in 3 months Marcus.

Well if you're dumb enough that you NEED support then you only deserve to pay for customer support, rather than awesome quotas and flawless service.

What happens when its on their end though?

Even professionals still need support.

Ya I know, but the support's really not that bad anyway.

People just seem to hate accents.

Ya I know, but the support's really not that bad anyway.

People just seem to hate accents.

Well I work for an ISP and its hard enough trying to get them to understand me when Im speaking English. So I could see having an accent being a hurdle.

opening your mouth to change feet again, HH?