jdog

Best PCI-E Professional/semi-professional sound card used for audio recording,game devloplment/playing

I am looking for a good quilty sound card that is good for recording/playing back audio and also in the devlopment/playing of video games (not flash games semi-professional/portfoilo for game studios work)

any suggestions?

ive heard that M-audio are good but i dont know if they are here in aus?

if it helps this is going into a i7 system (1366 socket)

Edited by jdog

How much do you want to spend?

anywere up to $300 (could go more if justfited but not to much $50 more max)

But I have an STX!!!!

(Mind you, with the PCIe DTV card and the graphic card, I can't get it into a spare slot on my board!)

unlikely to find a professional card (or even semi-professional) for anything under $700 unless 2nd hand or unwanted gift or stolen. Most have external break-out boxes for the connections, who wants to fiddle around the back of a PC for the jack socket? Does depend on the number of channels you want, of course, but you may be better off with a USB connected break-out box with 2-4 channels.

Does it have to be PCI?

There are a tonne of great firewire and usb audio cards out there...

I reckon a second hand or new Edirol (Cakewalk) UA-25ex.. I've got it's bigger brother the fa101 the thing is much better than I expected.

New, the EX goes for about $350.

M-Audio Fast track pro is good also but I wouldn't recommend it over the edirol, there's a whole swathe of em, lexicons and tascams delve into it.

But you gotta ask what you need to plug into it and what it's going to do?

Edited by Chuck Norris(good actor

unlikely to find a professional card (or even semi-professional) for anything under $700 unless 2nd hand or unwanted gift or stolen. Most have external break-out boxes for the connections, who wants to fiddle around the back of a PC for the jack socket? Does depend on the number of channels you want, of course, but you may be better off with a USB connected break-out box with 2-4 channels.

I'm still using my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

Has a great break out box but it's a PCI.

They are still available for less than $300.

but not really a Pro card...

but not really a Pro card...

I have to say.....it was closest Creative ever got to one (it was the market they tried to capture with it......and failed, because at $700, there were a lot of other options and they really couldn't shake off the 'gamers' image) and it sounds better than all the other cards I own. (although I'm yet to give the STX a good workout)

I have an Edirol UA-25EX. 24bit, 96Khz Capable but not duplex at that rate.

Usb 1.1

Look for a faster firewire or usb2.0

It is good for what I want, Depending on what I want to do, I just move the mixer to get more inputs, stereo recordings.

The Edirol does not have a software mixer, it has many other features.

specs...

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productde...p?ProductId=970

Edited by GlennsPref