neX

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

StarCraft II continues the epic saga of the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg. These three distinct and powerful races will clash once again in the fast-paced real-time strategy sequel to the legendary original, StarCraft. Legions of veteran, upgraded, and brand-new unit types will do battle across the galaxy, as each faction struggles for survival.

Official Site: www.starcraft2.com

Official Release: AVAILABLE NOW

SEA Forums: http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/

Current Patch Release: Patch 1.3.3 May, 2011

Atomic SC2 Players List - Moved to second post

Gameplay

Tech Trees*

Terran

Protoss

Zerg

Basic build orders*

Strategy articles*

Team Liquid Strategy Guides

Atomic Articles

All StarCraft Articles

My Website

Silicon Sports - Mostly SC2 but other games as well

Purchase

The cheapest appears to be JB HiFi and Dick Smith Electronics for $69

* Thanks to Whirlpool for this info

Edited by neX

Atomic SC2 Players List

Just post your in game nic, ID number and your league ranks and I will update it here.

You can find the ID number by logging into your battle.net account and then viewing your profile - the number is faded sligthly after your game nic (here is my profile as an example).

anndy				| superstar#547
Ashlar			   | Ashlar#103
azawrath			 | azawrath#345
Betzie 			  | Betz#617
darkforcemage		| Joey#788
Gammou			| Spoonmeister#959
Genisis X			| GenisisX#797
GhostWhoWalks		| GWW####
King_Of_The_Mountain | Thyran#211
mudg3				| mudge#112
neX				  | rezyn#772
Negotiator		   | Negotiator#204
Nich...			  | Nich#912
shuriken			 | Shuriken#184
superfireydave	   | Xtacles#151 --> Note US Account!
Vanne				| Vanne#452
wraith676			| wraith#202

Other AU/NZ Player Listing: http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/21432183

Edited by neX

Rezyn8,

I wonder if I might ask a favour, please?

Could you make a post on the Bnet forums asking about server regions? Specifically, which countries will be in which server restricted regions. I'm particularly interested whereabouts Japan will be located.

Here is a link to an article which describes the server restricting by region:

Server Region Restrictions

The article doesnt specify where Japan will be.

If you could post a link to the Bnet post you make, in a post on this thread, that would be great.

I shall be eternally grateful.

Cheers

Edited by atosniper

I just did a quick search on battle.net and there are quite a few threads re Server Region Restrictions.

http://forums.battle.net/search.html?forum...=server+regions

I will make pointed thread about the AUS region.

Actually this thread looks like it might have the answers: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...amp;sid=5000#18

'Blizzard Entertainment also announced today that both the standard edition and Collector's Edition of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will give players from Australia and New Zealand access to play on servers based in Southeast Asia, alongside gamers from Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand. This local datacenter will offer players in the region improved latency for a high-quality gameplay and connectivity experience.'

Another recent thread: https://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...52&sid=5000

Edited by neX

Cheers. Lots of speculation atm. Guess we'll have to wait and see. No info at all on Japan though :/

Interesting. I had a look and found that JP comment. As you say though, Beta setup; no idea of actual release setup.

Latest Beta Patch 13 Details http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...amp;sid=5000#16

StarCraft II Beta -- Patch 13 (version 0.15.0.15449)

General

* Map Publishing is now enabled: Using the map editor, you can upload your custom maps to share with the Battle.net community.

* Facebook feature is integrated: Here’s a quick way to expand your social network by seeing who among your existing Facebook friends also has a Battle.net account.

* 3v3 and 4v4 formats are now enabled.

* Numerous updates have been made to the Leagues & Ladders system:

o Removed Copper League and added Diamond League above Platinum League.

o Player ratings start at 0, rather than 1000.

o No longer displays loading screen odds in placement or practice league matches.

o Matchmaking system logic updated.

* UDP is enabled to help improve game performance.

* Numerous performance and stability improvements.

Balance Changes

* PROTOSS

o Sentry

+ Force Fields can now be destroyed by Massive ground units walking over them.

o Void Ray

+ Range decreased from 7 to 6.

o Warp Gate

+ Subgroup selection priority changed from 2 to 3 so that it takes priority over Gateways when selected.

* TERRAN

o Marine

+ Stimpack research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

+ Combat Shield research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.

* ZERG

o Infestor

+ Infested Terran spell removed.

+ Frenzy spell added:

# Costs 25 energy.

# Targets a single biological unit which deals 25% more damage and is immune to snare, stuns, and mind control for 30 seconds.

o Overseer

+ Contaminate spell added:

# Costs 75 energy.

# Targets a single enemy structure which cannot train units or research upgrades for 30 seconds.

+ Infested Terran spell added:

# Costs 125 energy.

# Infested Terrans have the same stats as those previously created by the Infestor and are placed directly under the Overseer when spawned.

o Ultralisk

+ Life decreased from 600 to 450.

+ Damage changed from 25 to 15 (+25 Armored).

+ Damage versus structures increased from 60 to 75.

Hotkey Changes (English Only):

* Zerg Set Worker Rally Point changed from R to G.

* Zerg Spore Crawler changed from W to A to avoid conflict with the Select All Warp Gates hotkey.

Battle.net Interface

* Revamped summary pages for player Profiles and Leagues & Ladders.

* Added a Help system with tech trees and other tips and tricks.

* Removed identifier from the character naming process and added the ability to refer friends for invitation into your party or lobby.

* Updated the Battle.net user interface to consistently use a nested menu system.

* Added in-game blocking and player muting.

The beta has been extended until June 7th - http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=5...cId=25135304348

We previously announced that the first phase of the StarCraft II beta test would be coming to a close in all regions on Monday, May 31. In order to prepare for the final phase of beta testing, we plan to extend the current phase in all regions until Monday, June 7. After this date, the beta test will be unavailable for several weeks while we make some hardware and software configuration changes for the final phase of the beta test and the release of the game. We plan to bring the beta test back online for a couple of weeks prior to the game’s launch to complete our testing. We’ll have more details to share about when this final phase will begin at a later date.

We’d like to thank all of our beta-test participants for your enthusiasm, dedication, and valuable feedback during the beta test, and we look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the StarCraft II beta test as the game’s July 27 launch approaches.

Info on region locking etc here: Regions

Seems like if you want to play on US servers, you'll need to purchase a US copy. Read the Blue posts though, as it seems nothing is definitely decided.

As far as Japan goes, it will almost certainly be import US copy, as there has never been localized Blizzard games and I dont expect them to begin now.

The bloke said this:

Getting people online, playing and interacting is obviously the overall goal for the Battle.net platform, and that includes allowing people to play across regional boundaries as they have in the past.

Unfortunately, there are a multitude of challenges we have to overcome due to the unique regional account and billing options that didn't exist in the past. But those hurdles aren't insurmountable, and we are looking into solutions that will allow interested players to obtain access to other regional versions without having to buy another full copy of the game. Those solutions are something we're currently planning to have available through Battle.net Account Management within the first few months of StarCraft II's release.

Before that solution is implemented though, you're correct in that you'd need to purchase a US copy of the game on launch day to play in the US region.

So they plan to implement something at a later date which is good!

If they introduce a Region Access Charge - they can kiss goodbye to a lot of sales. Just open it all up ffs you greedy fkn pricks.

This is fucking crazy. Devs have been getting this stuff right since QuakeWorld, and now it's as though Microsoft dropped the Xbox 360 and suddenly every studio under the sun suffered an industry wide head injury and collectively forgot how PC's work.

Edited by Takoma

If they introduce a Region Access Charge - they can sit back and watch as the money pours into their giant money pit

Fixxed..

I agree with your sentiment but I don't think this turns many people away.. Since I started gaming I have seen people spend literally hundreds of dollars on Runes in Diablo 2, people pay real life money for mounts in WoW, pay to change trivial things like what they look like, hell I have seen entire guilds pay to leave server so they could open AQ on servers that never did it and get the bug mount and then pay to return to their home server a month later... These transactions exist, both illegitimate and legitimate ones, in almost every MMO or online game I have played.

Micro transactions for services that should already exists work, Blizz has proven it in WoW they are simply cashing in on online gamers seemingly insatiable urge to impulse buy things they don't need or accept fee for things that should be free.

This is fucking crazy. Devs have been getting this stuff right since QuakeWorld, and now it's as though Microsoft dropped the Xbox 360 and suddenly every studio under the sun suffered an industry wide head injury and collectively forgot how PC's work.

There are some very good reasons why Blizz wants to region lock, Starcraft was one of the worlds largest played multiplayer game, if not the single largest. Audiences of that size = cash, advertising or sponsorship revenue etc..

Now one of the problems with old Starcraft was latency for players in non central regions, blizzard couldn't do much to address it they werent going to put servers everywhere in the world, so the players essentially did for them they hacked Starcraft added new server information and hosted their own, its called ICCUP, ICCUP was so popular amongst pro players thanks to latency improvements and also added in game features like some cheat eliminations etc, that it made the Battlenet ladders trivial, you weren't taken seriously as a Starcraft player unless you were ranked on ICCUP ladder. Blizz literally got their 'show stolen' form them by a free user based community who offered things that Blizz couldn't, the fact that blizzards online service literally became a joke to the majority of serious Starcraft players in favour of ICCUP is something Blizzard wont let happen again, region locking is the best way to give good latencies to players and will remove one of the edges a independent improvised server would have.

If they introduce a Region Access Charge - they can kiss goodbye to a lot of sales. Just open it all up ffs you greedy fkn pricks.

Bundy brings up good points. While I'm personally inclined to agree with you neX, I guess it can be hoped that if a charge is attached to region access it is less than the purchase price of that regions game, which is the only option seemingly available at the moment. Say you want access to NA from Oz, but the NA box costs $80, but the region access costs $10.

Personally I wont be buying the game straight away anyway. I'm tired of many gaming companies flat out lying about their game and it's services before release, and then when it's released the truth comes out. These days I wait and see what kind of bullshit happens with game releases before I buy. It's saved me a bit of money and given less headaches!

Anyone know what the deal is with custom maps and the like? Will these be available for free, or will users be charged to download and play on them?

Also, any more news on region locking?

I've got my copy on pre-order - have been watching all the beta tourney games. really looking forward to it....anyone care to team up for a little 2v2 after launch?

Received my pre-order from JB yesterday (unboxing) and got a nice surprise when they refund me $20 to price match the release price.

I have only played the first three missions of the SP campaign (Hard setting) and I am impressed with the way they have approached it with the interactivity available between missions.

One of my friends found me via the Real ID/Facebook network - I had no idea he was a PC gamer!

My only gripe at the moment is that Achievements have been disabled...

Received my pre-order from JB yesterday (unboxing) and got a nice surprise when they refund me $20 to price match the release price.

I have only played the first three missions of the SP campaign (Hard setting) and I am impressed with the way they have approached it with the interactivity available between missions.

One of my friends found me via the Real ID/Facebook network - I had no idea he was a PC gamer!

My only gripe at the moment is that Achievements have been disabled...

Achievements disabled? Seemed to be working for me last night...

-A-

I think it's crap that if you want to play in the SE Asia and ANZ region, you have to pay an extra $26.46

from the battle.net store, digital download:

SE Asia ANZ Region = AUD $89.99

North America = USD $59.99 = AUD $66.53

craptastical :(

I think it's crap that if you want to play in the SE Asia and ANZ region, you have to pay an extra $26.46

from the battle.net store, digital download:

SE Asia ANZ Region = AUD $89.99

North America = USD $59.99 = AUD $66.53

craptastical :(

Surely though it would make more sense to get the US version anyway. As the SE will be getting access to the US servers soon, if you had friends with the SE version you could just get them to come over. You'd be able to play together, as well as having access to a much larger group of English speaking players. Is there any benefit to getting the SE version?