neX

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Given that Ive know got a computer capable of playing this game - should I get this? Is it as good as the first one? And what are the cutscenes like?

I haven't played a strategy game properly since AOE2 and I got hard into competitive RPG playing, then I got SC2 and forgot about every other game, like BFBC2 for instance, I played a fair bit (well like 100 hours) and I haven't looked back.

TL;DR - Even if you're not currently an RTS player, you will be.

That demo is only skirmish games against the AI and the first three missions in the single player.

Damn cheesers :P

There are variations on that, I've mostly seen people rush with lings, it's easy and more threatening however, it takes longer. Either way, you're cheesing, so if it doesn't work, you're screwed :)

If you guys are so interested in cheesing. This will be interesting. http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft#p/u/35/rU3flEPaXtM

Its a good replay.

I wouldn't say we are really interested in cheesing, just that at the insane AI level its prob the only way we can get those achievements

I've been watching quite a few SC2 casts to pass the time and man, TLO is really entertaining. Have never seen a Terran player go mass Hellions before! Even in TvT it really can be quite effective:

Spoiler warning: last game of the PokerIdol tournament.

Wouldn't rely on it myself, it's a little cheesy, but it sure worked well for him :)

I've been watching quite a few SC2 casts to pass the time and man, TLO is really entertaining. Have never seen a Terran player go mass Hellions before! Even in TvT it really can be quite effective:

Spoiler warning: last game of the PokerIdol tournament.

Wouldn't rely on it myself, it's a little cheesy, but it sure worked well for him :)

These days when pros make another ludicrous but wonderful strategy its great but sadly it requires more and more macro and micro. >_<

Which terms?

Cheese = A strategy employed in the very early game for a quick win (or loss if tactic fails)

Micro = Controlling individual military units - usually weakened units being moved to the back or move/stop attacks

Macro = Economy and production

Any others?

50 Zerg Custom Games to go... I really don't find Zerg that interesting to play as. Hopefully I will get to understand them a bit better and learn how to counter them...

50 Zerg Custom Games to go... I really don't find Zerg that interesting to play as. Hopefully I will get to understand them a bit better and learn how to counter them...

Zerg are the hardest race to use. Hope you can find the real deal with this eccentric and maddening race. Hope they're not just too hard for u... :P

Nah not hard - just one dimensional from my perspective. Need to play more with them though.

One dimensional? How do you figure? I mean, most strats involve speedlings and roaches to a degree, but I've seen a few macro games where the zerg tech all the way to brood lords and ultras with great success. The most helpful thing I found was setting up the creep properly, getting a nice coverage over at least my corner/side of the map. Makes it so much easier to shuttle reinforcements around and build up a big army, and keep it mobile.

*edit*

Infestor play can be quite good too, fungal growth and banelings cut through a MMM ball like nothing else.

I have to say I haven't played Zerg that much to work out their mid game strategy - hence they are one dimensional in my play.

My usual is roach into muta and win. But need to play a few games of speed/baneling in ZvT match ups as well. Infestors are similar to High Templars and can be very effective on massed bio-balls.

I guess I am more comforatble with Terran and Protoss.

I have to say I haven't played Zerg that much to work out their mid game strategy - hence they are one dimensional in my play.

My usual is roach into muta and win. But need to play a few games of speed/baneling in ZvT match ups as well. Infestors are similar to High Templars and can be very effective on massed bio-balls.

I guess I am more comforatble with Terran and Protoss.

The two most well known strategies are Roach/Hydra and Mutaling (Muta, Zergling, Baneling) Try working with those.(the first strat is primarily for protoss and the second one for terran.) Roach into muta is a little unstable with the economy but whatever rocks your boat. ZVP is pretty annoying for me. Fourgates are too simple and effective on zerg. Edited by mr.twinkie

How did I not know that the GSL had started again. facepalm

New SC2 Patch is out

From my site: http://siliconsports.net/2011/03/starcraft...-1-3-0-is-live/

I say controversial as there are a couple of interesting balance changes in this update. Firstly, the Terrans have seen an increase in production time for Stim (was 140 seconds – now 170 seconds) and bunkers (was 35 seconds – now 40 seconds). This could see bunker rushes die off, but an extra 30 seconds in researching Stim? Once you have your barracks up, it will take another 3 minutes and 15 seconds before Stim is ready. This is going to change a lot of timing attacks.

Secondly, the Protoss are losing an upgrade that has seen quite a lot of use in the past GSL tournaments, the Khydarian Amulet. With High Templars becoming more widespread, that extra 25 energy will be sorely missed. It was a little over powered where High Templars could warp in with an instant Storm available, so this a not a bad update for Terrans and Zerg, but I don’t think we will see the High Templar disappear just yet. They will just have to be better controlled as they will become more costly if lost in battle.

New SC2 Patch is out

From my site: http://siliconsports.net/2011/03/starcraft...-1-3-0-is-live/

I say controversial as there are a couple of interesting balance changes in this update. Firstly, the Terrans have seen an increase in production time for Stim (was 140 seconds – now 170 seconds) and bunkers (was 35 seconds – now 40 seconds). This could see bunker rushes die off, but an extra 30 seconds in researching Stim? Once you have your barracks up, it will take another 3 minutes and 15 seconds before Stim is ready. This is going to change a lot of timing attacks.

Secondly, the Protoss are losing an upgrade that has seen quite a lot of use in the past GSL tournaments, the Khydarian Amulet. With High Templars becoming more widespread, that extra 25 energy will be sorely missed. It was a little over powered where High Templars could warp in with an instant Storm available, so this a not a bad update for Terrans and Zerg, but I don’t think we will see the High Templar disappear just yet. They will just have to be better controlled as they will become more costly if lost in battle.

The Terran update will be sure to tick off a lot of people especially some that i know. -_- I still wish for zerg buffs.

A lot of people have been saying Zerg needs a buff, but i personally think TvZ is pretty well balanced and it's PvZ which seems to go in Protoss favour too often. I only play Zerg and protoss have the most anti zerg units in the game. With the Amulet nerf it won't be possible to warp in psi storms now, but it still leaves the zerg unable to take on a Protoss army purely because Protoss ground units destroy Zerg grond units as long as there are some Colossi in the mix.

In the GSL lately most Zerg don't even bother engaging the Protoss death ball and rather counter right to their main to force them to retreat (Not counting the GSL final). The % chance to come out on top in a ZvP army head on is very poor for zerg unless they have far superior numbers, which usually isn't the case because Zerg have more expansions and more drones cutting away from their max army size.

I think Zerg strategy against protoss has to change from trying to kill their army to trying to kill their base, this has yielded me better results lately as taking on the protoss ground army is suicide.

Also the first game played in todays GSL was a perfect example of how to play protoss on large maps. The zerg is called Min, but i forget the name of the protoss.

Edited by smakme7757

A lot of people have been saying Zerg needs a buff, but i personally think TvZ is pretty well balanced and it's PvZ which seems to go in Protoss favour too often. I only play Zerg and protoss have the most anti zerg units in the game. With the Amulet nerf it won't be possible to warp in psi storms now, but it still leaves the zerg unable to take on a Protoss army purely because Protoss ground units destroy Zerg grond units as long as there are some Colossi in the mix.

In the GSL lately most Zerg don't even bother engaging the Protoss death ball and rather counter right to their main to force them to retreat (Not counting the GSL final). The % chance to come out on top in a ZvP army head on is very poor for zerg unless they have far superior numbers, which usually isn't the case because Zerg have more expansions and more drones cutting away from their max army size.

I think Zerg strategy against protoss has to change from trying to kill their army to trying to kill their base, this has yielded me better results lately as taking on the protoss ground army is suicide.

Also the first game played in todays GSL was a perfect example of how to play protoss on large maps. The zerg is called Min, but i forget the name of the protoss.

Thumbs up to you sir.

I heard Mass colossis and void ray is a deadly (and apparently unstoppable) combination.

Edited by mr.twinkie

I started laddering last night for the first time since January. Very frustrating early on as Terran. Think I went 0-5 after winning the first game. Void Ray harass was quite annoying in two matches. One of these games I was able to successfully hold off the rays, he teched to colossi and tried to storm my natural on shakuras (I think that map has changed dramatically - no hallway/destructibles at the top or bottom?) but I had plenty of marauders and siege tanks to counter what he was doing to my marines. Just had to focus the colossi to ensure a win. Easy win in the end after I destroyed his third.

I was tempted to change to Protoss before I started last night as they seem to be the race of choice at the moment, but thought I would stick at it with Terran.