neX

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

For those of you who still play - I am running a tournament next Wednesday (Jan 30) from 7pm which is open to all leagues. Full details and registration can be found at http://siliconsports.net/cup. Hope you can make it!

Posted Image

Would love to enter, but I live in WA.. so it's not timed well for me. :(

I will still be at work for at least 2 more hours when this starts.

Been playing just over a month now, starting to get alright I think, I might be about to move from gold up to platinum soon, as I am now favoured against most gold opponents and been vsing some platinums now too.

Edited by p0is0n

I've still been playing a fair bit of this in preperation for HotS in a few days. Maybe 400-500 games this season across NA and SEA.

I've made it to #2 gold NA and #3 gold SEA which I don't think is a bad way to kick off my first ladder season. I feel I have improved significantly from when I started in late December, hopefully plat will come with HotS.

I am hoping HotS bring back some players as SEA seems to be fairly quiet a lot of the time.

Edited by p0is0n

yeah the SEA servers are quite, i was practicing my macro the other week for HotS. I've decided to cut it away till it comes out tho, i can see a very big shift in my zerg strat with the new units. The swarm host looks fuckin awesome, and the tunnel upgrade for the ultralisk

Im def not looking forward to widow mines tho, they seem to destroy from what ive seen so far

only completed the first few missions, and loving it. playing on normal (which i did in WoL) but i'll need to up it a bit...

always liked the campaign more the the multi-player here.

though this time i am determined to learn the who macro side of it since i use the mouse wayyyyy to much.

recorded a vid of one the first missions, and well it lived up to 'heart of the swarm'

Whats peoples thoughts on heart of the swarm?

I play zerg in 1v1s - only did the first few missions of campaign so far but don't like having kerrigan on my team, and don't like that they simplified zerg a fair bit for the campaign, not sure if it will improve later. I'd rather it was all about the zerg just fucking destroying some terran or protoss than kerrigan manipulating the zerg to her own advantage.

In terms of multiplayer balance, hard to say so far, Life vs Flash and Stephano vs Grubby game in the blizzard opening launch event thing made things look pretty balanced, but Yoda taking the recent HotS IEM grand final 4-0 make terran look OP. I'm not high enough level that it's really relevant yet, but I will have a better idea within a few weeks.

It's worth the $35 or so though, if you're going to play it.

only completed the first few missions, and loving it. playing on normal (which i did in WoL) but i'll need to up it a bit...

always liked the campaign more the the multi-player here.

though this time i am determined to learn the who macro side of it since i use the mouse wayyyyy to much.

recorded a vid of one the first missions, and well it lived up to 'heart of the swarm'

I think you mean that you need to improve your mechanics as macro is your macromanagement, such as making enough workers, making enough units, constantly spending money, making enough overlords etc. never having more than 400-500 minerals or gas at any time, for zerg there is injects and creep spread, for toss you have chrono and also expanding to new locations, saturating those minerals etc. in a 1v1 zvp for example, by 7 mins 20 seconds in game time, I want to be on 3 bases, I want to have 74 supply which is 3 queens and 22 drones at each base, and 2-4 lings which is my usual style of opener as long as I don't have to deal with any early pressure, then from there your economy is so good you can tech to whatever you want like roaches, hydras, mutas, infestors, get upgrades, get a hive early etc.

Edit: Played a bit more campaign tonight and actually enjoying it a bit more now. I think it's a lot better than the WoL campaign, but I don't really enjoy terran so didn't like that one too much. Now that i've unlocked some new abilities and upgrades for kerrigan and my zerg units I can get used to it. I guess the only change I don't like to the campaign is that they removed inject from queens, and that queens now cost gas for some reason. Doesn't feel right at first.

If anyone wants a friendly 1v1 just msg me on battlenet, its Exan.891 I think. Or post here i'll add you.

Edited by p0is0n

I finished the HoTs campaign last night (took 2 nights to finish it on normal), was epic for me, so much improvement over WoL campaign, and i reackon there is more CGI scenes in hots then wol which is a huge plus in my books, much better sense of story. upgrading/evolving different strands of the various units was pretty cool (jumping banelings is hands down the most fun ive ever had in RTS game). As you go from the middle to the end of the campaign, all units lose their massive buffs, so the final levels is alot closer to how zerg play in mutilplayer vs what terrans being radically different in the campaign vs multiplayer.

Ok i just finished the campaign today, it's actually really fun, but too short IMO. Took about 10-12 hours at a casual pace, playing on Hard and was very easy.. didn't have to restart or fail a single objective.

I'd like to see difficulty bumped up a bit and a few more missions added, but overall story was good and the missions were fun. Love all the different evolutions, would like to see some of them make it into multi player, like raptor lings!

Now off to play on ladder.

Edited by p0is0n

playing through on hard and its awesome. The Queen of Babes rocks, best female character in any video game ever imo.

I love how queens can heal like medics and move quickly too!!

Edited by xnatex

The new protoss air units worry me as a zerg.

But then again my new zerg pals would be pretty torubling fir every other race.

Yeah the protoss siege air unit has way too much range, can safely sit outside of zerg anti air turret range and rip everything up, lost 10 mutas to 3 tempests in defense.. ive even had 8 corrupters die to 4 tempests, either zerg sucks vs the new tempests or im doing it extremely wrong?

swarm hosts are absolutely useless, had 8 lined up stacked at the top of my ramp, 4across 2deep, and they got ripped apart by 6 marines, 3marauders and 1 seigetank that didnt even deploy, didnt even get a single unit kill...

I know im not that great at zerg, being in the bronze league and all, with the new zerg i cant win in 1v1, i dominate as protoss, and win 50/50 as terran

im interest in how are the rest of you doing as zerg in the silver/gold/diamond leagues? or even going up against them?

Yeah the protoss siege air unit has way too much range, can safely sit outside of zerg anti air turret range and rip everything up, lost 10 mutas to 3 tempests in defense.. ive even had 8 corrupters die to 4 tempests, either zerg sucks vs the new tempests or im doing it extremely wrong?

swarm hosts are absolutely useless, had 8 lined up stacked at the top of my ramp, 4across 2deep, and they got ripped apart by 6 marines, 3marauders and 1 seigetank that didnt even deploy, didnt even get a single unit kill...

I know im not that great at zerg, being in the bronze league and all, with the new zerg i cant win in 1v1, i dominate as protoss, and win 50/50 as terran

im interest in how are the rest of you doing as zerg in the silver/gold/diamond leagues? or even going up against them?

Yeah ya doing it wrong lol, the swarm hosts are the cherry on a roach/hydra cake . All 3 of the units benefit from the damage range upgrade and you can upgrade dig at a hatch and hydra movement speed. A good use of the swarm host is to have them outside enemy lines and draw them in to attack you. Use the locusts as a small meat shield while you micro the roaches and hydras around where the hosts are burried. What's your b.net name ? I'm a diamond league 1 v 1 zerg player and can show ya the ropes in 2 v 2 if ya want

I am platinum level zerg, just recently promoted from gold, but I still suck at terran or protoss.

I like swarm host/hydra/overseers if I am using them, but I rarely do, I guess I don't feel proficient with them yet and still use mostly WoL units. Can't usually afford roaches too, unless I have some left over from early game, but they are a nice stepping stone to swarm hosts.

My first few HotS games were a bit rough, getting torn apart by oracles and reapers, but after altering my play to factor in all of the new harass I am feeling a bit more confident. In bronze league it doesn't matter what you make, just as long as you make it quickly, and have more stuff than the other guy.

Most people think their macro is pretty good but unless you're hitting 70-80 supply by 8 mins and 100+ supply by 10 mins your macro is complete garbage so keep that in mind as a zerg player. Economy comes first, you can't make drones and units, you have to do one of the other to be proficient. It's hard to get used to when to make drones and when to make units, but basically keep scouting your opponent and as long as it doesn't seem like he's about to attack, make as many drones as possible. And expand aggressively, keep harassing him with small groups of units so he is contained within his base, and then try to coax him to attack and fight him in the middle ground not attacking into his defensive position. Hope some of this helps.

Post up your name if you want to practice.

I have 3 names, as I play on NA, SEA & KR.

bakemono#455 - NA

exan#891 - SEA

these are the 2 main ones.

Edit: for anyone interested i've been playing around with GG tracker, it's a tool you can use to analyze performance, especially how you spent your resources and try to improve.

here is an example game I played last night.

http://ggtracker.com/matches/2059441

Edited by p0is0n

p0is0n - how often are you playing with 3 or more zerg bases? i always seem to struggle when i have too many bases lol. My prefered strat is a 6min timing push and just keep the pressure up and try to expand on the back of that.

I havent actually placed 1v1 in HoTS yet tho, been playing 2v2 and the campaign. I bet il get something turd like bronze league if i try to place haha.

So you are making more use of overseers? how many do you run around with? i get caught out way to often with invis units and could probably benifit from more overseers

just placed in gold div for 1v1. That flying toss unit is so annoying, I really struggle with Toss on most levels, i still cant seem to get on top of mass stalkers, what do you guys do with ZvP ?

ZvP I am still experimenting, but I generally favour hydra/swarm host/corruptor and then transition into either brood lord or ultras. Keep overseers around to kill observers forcing them to back off. Corruptors deal with colossus, hydras deal with void rays etc. You can remain very cost efficient, i've seen games where it's 3k units lost to 30k units lost.

Usually it's more even than that, but if zerg is even close to equal in units lost, but ahead in economy, as you should be, you will eventually win.

I will take a third when it feels safe, against protoss if I scout a fast expo, I will usually take a third around 21-22 supply or around 4.20.

Against terran I often take a third around 36 supply once i have 4 queens up and a bit of creep spread, or I will do an early roach push then expand.

Regarding overseers, I usually bring 2-3 so it's not as easy to snipe off, and always have one by each hatch even if u have spores. They still provide supply but make a few extra overlords so u can always grab a few more for overseers if u lose yours.

I placed silver in HotS on SEA, but then got promo'd to gold then plat after about 10-15 games. Same on NA I placed gold and got promo to plat after about 15 games.

Feel free to msg me if u want a friendly game or want to look at a replay together or something.

Cheers

Edit:

I posted this on my clan forums but since your zerg might help you too.

Hey guys,

I take no credit for these guides, but I've found them pretty helpful and they are not just rehashed WoL strats but very HoTs relevant. Might be useful for any other Zergs here.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft..._Zerg_vs._Zerg

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft...erg_vs._Terran

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft...rg_vs._Protoss

Effective even at GM level, which is where Blade is, and probably at all levels. I was gold for my whole last season of WoL and couldn't quite get to plat, but in the last few weeks I got to plat on both NA and SEA quite easily and I am still improving with these strats as a general plan.

There are a few good videos/replays with some analysis from Blade on all of the pages, and I have some replays of my wins too, which I can post up any good games if people are interested. I have a few against decent opponents and a lot against noobs

Also, I've found roach push very strong against terran, which you can transition into swarm hosts from. Here is a general run down on the build order.

9 Overlord

10 - Scout, gas or not? This could mean reapers which means u should probably play a bit safer.

15 Hatch

16 Gas

16 Pool

17 Overlord

2x Queens

1x Lings

28 Roach Warren

28 - Stop drones

28 3x Overlords

# Your injects and roach warren should finish about the same time, then u can make roaches.

Make 12 Roaches

52 Overlord

From here you can continue to drone up, get a lair, get a spire, take a third etc.

You could also get upgrades, and mass more roaches for a finishing blow depending on how much damage you do.

I also just outright defeat many Terrans with this push, if they are playing greedy or don't see it coming.

Khaldor has a few good videos about early roach pressure, which is the build above, and about 3 base mass roach which is pretty strong too.

ZvT - no early gas

ZvT - early gas

3 base mass roch

It's also worth noting most Terran will get hellions, and they won't usually be out any earlier than 6.30-7.00 mins so you will be safe with roaches and queens out, and when your roaches arrive you can scout for banshee and prepare spine crawlers if necessary. The most important thing is to kill workers and slow the terran down you don't have to kill him outright. Roaches can take a few hits from widow mines and not die. You can also delay the push slightly and research burrow and then move in with mass roaches, but it's a bit more all-in but if you micro the wounded roaches and burrow them, it can be pretty strong as they heal very fast and just rally over and overwhelm your opponent.

Hope this helps some of u, feel free to add your own.

Edited by p0is0n

just added ya, my SC2 name is: yamum

that strat looks good, i wrote this down on my lil bit of paper full of SC2 strats haha

15 hatch

16 pool

28 roach warren + 3 O/lords

upgrade and attack

But what about cheese?

I'm another zerg just coming back and playing a few ai matches at the moment after a long break since WoL. Wouldn't you be fairly vulnerable to cheese in those builds given you wont have an army until maybe the 5 - 6 minute mark?

But what about cheese?

I'm another zerg just coming back and playing a few ai matches at the moment after a long break since WoL. Wouldn't you be fairly vulnerable to cheese in those builds given you wont have an army until maybe the 5 - 6 minute mark?

it's called scouting my friend, if you don't know what your opponent is doing at any time, you have a problem. Most Terran go 1 rax into CC or make a few reapers into CC so you can really punish greedy play, zerg are pretty much cheese proof as long as you're actively scouting, nothing will surprise you and you can react in time. You will have 2 queens out by about 4 mins and can make lings, roaches after 5 mins. It's a really solid build, I don't think i've ever lost a game in the first 5 minutes before, except against things like proxy gateways inside your main or proxy barracks. If you see cheese you can abort this build and prepare a defence, then you will be ahead most likely and can play standard and win.

I have both the original and the expansion pack. Does anyone still actively play? I am looking to get back into it.

I play a lot, but only 1v1, sorry rezyn :) I might have access to some partners in my team so will see if anyone is keen.

I'm on most nights, sometimes logged in but afk :p

My ID on SEA is exan.891 and on NA it's bakemono.445 I think.

I am usually on SEA but if I am playing ladder I will go to NA most of the time.

BTW I play Zerg and am around platinum league skill level.

I'm also happy to coach/practice with people from all levels, but I don't know much about terran or protoss except how quickly you should be at my base :D

Edit:

Just posted this on my clan forum so will chuck it here too, since I am pretty sure some of you play as Zerg.

I found a new macro build I like because it's timed out really nicely. It's similar to WoL openers but a bit improved.

I've also found that by pairing up workers on the closest mineral patches, I can get my spawning pool out a bit quicker than usual. Something I never bothered to do previously. With this build you will be hitting 70 supply around the 7 mins mark, or just after, 7:05-7:10 was about as quick as I could do it.

Note: Only use this build if you scout early expand. If you see no expo cancel your third and prepare to defend.

9 Overlord

15 Spawning Pool

16 Hatchery

15 Overlord

15 Queen

# Inject at main with first queen, then move to natural, inject, then back to main, drop a creep tumor, then move to third.

17 Zergling

21 Queen

# This queen stays in the main.

23 Hatchery

24 Overlord

30 Queen

# Build this queen at the natural, it stays there.

32 Overlord

40 Overlord

44 Double Gas

48 Double Overlord

48 Creep Spread Queen

# Use this queen to start some creep spread then use it when you make a macro hatch.

Drone to 70, Lair with first 100 gas, Speed with next 100 gas

70 Macro Hatch

Make about 5 overlords and pump out lings

You can then drop evo chambers, roach warren, make about 16 roaches (or go pure ling/hydra), start 1/1

Make a hydra den and a infestation pit when lair finishes

You can then max out on roach/hydra/ling by about 12:30ish and have 1/1 finished and ready to put pressure and also start a hive for vipers.

I haven't tested this much against early pressure, it would throw the timings a little as it's pretty much perfectly timed out, but I feel it's a nice smooth build. unfortunately whenever I jump on ladder to test stuff like this, I get nothing but terran or zergs. gas at 44 supply will be just before 6 mins, which is pretty standard for when most 3 base builds will take gas.

there are 2 lings to scout, also overlords to sac etc. goes without saying you need to keep an eye on what hes doing, and make early roaches/lings/more queens/spores if you feel the need. will slow things down a tiny bit but you want to react as little as possible to what he does and be able to get away with it. You could always take 1 gas at about 3:00-3:30 if you want and get ling speed first.

I'd say 1 spore per mineral line by 6-7 mins and an extra queen at each hatch if he goes for a lot of phoenix.

queens can handle mothership core/stalker/zealot pressure as long as u get a few more lings, so you need to see it coming. protoss don't do much more than that early game in my experience.

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by p0is0n

im in the mid 50's in the gold Div with about 400 bonus points in the pool.

I feel like ive worked out how to beat the protoss, scout for cheese and if they are not attacking, try to get 3 bases, 2 saturated then just use that eco machine to flood roach/hydra's at the protoss and try to deny them from expanding. No need to lose units attacking the front door, just hang around out the front and wait for them to attack you with their 1 base funded army and re-enforce your units constantly and they will run out of cash soon enough.

I still havent used Ultra's ingame and very rarely get brood lords. But when you are rallying troops at the front door, after you have a few upgrades bring in the swarmhosts and overseers to pressure the toss to engage your army. Send that army to its death against the toss deathaball and hope backup is on the way lol

Terrain is easy for me, i like to attempt a baneling bust, then they usually go to hellions and firebats, then you switch to roaches and when their mech army is big enough come over the top with Muta's. That quick tech switch fucks a lot of people who are not ready for it.

Zerg is probably my hardest matchup atm.

Edited by xnatex

haha - I hope the analysis was that they should have landed HALF the vikings instead of ALL of them each time the CC landed 8)