Sign in to follow this  
willm

I accidently poured coke on my laptop

As per title. This was so bad that it was actually dripping *through* the laptop, from the keyboard through a vent on the bottom.

After this I turned it off, took as many panels out as I could and cleaned everything.

The power would not come on for a while< turning on briefly and then off. It turns on fine now, although I still have some lingering problems:

1. The keyboard is odd, some keys just stop working and caps lock turns on and off....at the moment it is on and I cant turn it off

2. When ac is unplugged and battery is present, The charging light is on< and the power on light is on quite faint

3. The Fan! The fan is on full bore, although I don't think my laptop is overheating at all

4. My touchpad. It is completely unresponsive. although the ribbon doesn't seem to have any coke on it at all....I'm not sure what to check here.

For problem 1, I have washed the keyboard pretty thoroughly, is the problem coming from somewhere else?

No idea about 2...i guess the button connections are dirty, but i could not find a way to get to them. My laptop does not have the removable strip just under the screen and above the keyboard most laptops do.

No idea about 3....I made sure everything was clear, but I don't know what else could be causing this.

No idea about 4 :(

Any suggestions, please?

Perhaps it will sort itself out as the coke residue fades away?

Edited by willm

I can't help you much, but having cleaned a metric fuck-tonne of telephones that have had coke (or coffee) tipped into them, I can offer only this advise:

It will never be clean.

Ever. It won't work the same, things will stick forever. Trying googleing "Laptop +keyboard removal" and see if anyone else has ripped one apart and can teach you something. Coming from a technical point, if something is assembled, it can be disassembled.

P.S. It won't "sort itself out", sorry mang.

'

Edited by Foods

Clean it again. You might find some you missed. Or fork out to get it serviced. Or backup your data, and then buy a new laptop.

These are your options. Im not sure what cleaning agents you should use. But I'd stay away from alcohol based stuff.

Save what's useful, but in short, expect it to get worse, not better. Liquid and computers is always bad, but add something as acidic as coke (something I drink fucking tons of ) is a recipe for disaster. Salvage your data first, see what you can find on disassembling it, and see how much more you can safely clean it, but i don't hold much hope for it. Sorry.

Liquid Damage can be a cunt. Its working now but It could stop working tomorrow or in 6 months you really never know.

You basically need to strip the thing down totally to clean it out properly, and I mean totally.

If you hunt around you might even find a site that goes through the steps of pulling down you make and model like this one that covers some of the Toshiba models.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

You could use rubbing alcohol to clean it as this should pick up most of the crap and then evaporate shortly after, you could almost go so far as to wash it out with it.

Edited by nesquick

You could use rubbing alcohol to clean it as this should pick up most of the crap and then evaporate shortly after, you could almost go so far as to wash it out with it.

this. its not going to fix the keyboard though i dont think. your probably better off just buying a new one of those off ebay, they arent too dear. same deal for the touchpad.

You basically need to strip the thing down totally to clean it out properly, and I mean totally.

If you hunt around you might even find a site that goes through the steps of pulling down you make and model like this one that covers some of the Toshiba models.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

This is the gist of what I tried to say. So, yeah, this. :)