Gamertech

Liquid cooling woes...

I have been using Swiftech LCS components for years with no problems, yet i have upgraded from a Q9550 775 with an apogee GTZ to an i7 860 1156 with an apogee XT, with a HD4870 X2 using an EK waterblock (i wont use any waterblocks with plexi, so goodbye swiftech caldera) on the loop in both builds.

Now that setup has worked fine with both builds for a long time, but recently the temps have all skyrocketed. Whereas the 4870x2 would be running at full load at 35C, now it idles at 55C with full load at 96C and the cpu is up from full load at 45C to load at 72C. This is in the middle of winter o.o

Nothing has changed in the loop, the radiators are getting hot so the heat is transferring properly, I have tried 3 different MCP655 pumps with no change and i have rebuilt the whole system 3 times including new TIM on the blocks, bleeding the system properly each time...there is no air left anywhere, I have tested the rads outside the loop and there are no blockages....I'm stumped...any help here please?

My loop is setup as follows;

Res, pump,3x120 rad,CPU, 2x120 rad, GPU, res

Fixed it, there was some build-up blocking the water channels in the CPU block, both the CPU and GPU are now on their own separate loops, meaning neither gets above 40C at full load XD

Blocks need maintenance every now and then its important to note they need not be spotless. My CPU block has a thin layer tarnished copper, temps haven't changed but the tarnish protects the block :)

I'm using the Swiftech HydrX, idk what the buildup was it was directly under the inlet port of the CPU waterblock, so it blocked the flow from going past it. I rebuilt the CPU block and hit it with some high-pressure water... all clean XD. CPU now at 4GHz stable, and the volt-mod on my 4870X2 won't actually kill my card now.

Yeah ive found almost every loop ive put together eventually ends up with a greenish-grey gunk in the block channels,

Weird looking stuff... kind of like when you melt Styrofoam with solvent.

Im currenly running with distilled water and liquid utopia with the additive.

But it looks like there is still abit of build up in the system even within a short time.

Fixed it, there was some build-up blocking the water channels in the CPU block, both the CPU and GPU are now on their own separate loops, meaning neither gets above 40C at full load XD

What sort of time frame are you talking about, I have a similar setup most notably the coolant. When i was working on upgrading my build i kept the coolant+water in a bottle and noticed after a week some sort of flemmy material settling out to the bottom. It has started to make me doubt that coolant.

i have had a water cooled system very similar in build for years and i found that plain old engine coolant works great and doesnt get that build up at all. I have pulled the block apart a few time to check and its been shinny clean every time.

I had cheap engine coolant(and before that, rain water) in mine and had a fair bit of a black/dark green buildup in my CPU block, right down in the bottom of the channels, took a bit to clean it out but it worked out okay.

Ran Swiftech HydrX for a while when I got my new loop and while it looked cool, it didn't really help with temps much (compared to plain old distilled water) but this nulon stuff has dropped temps by 5c now.

Will be interesting to see if there is any buildup the next time I dismantle the loop.