Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Hubbo

Drawing Tablet vs. Tablet PC

I've been interested in getting a drawing tablet for some time, though I would prefer to go along the lines of a monitor with integrated drawing tablet (ie. draw directly on the monitor), which got me recently thinking - What is the difference between a integrated monitor/tablet combo and a tablet PC?

For example, an integrated monitor/tablet like the Wacom Cintiq 12WX or Wacom Cintiq 21UX, Versus something like these Tablet PCs.

I'm presuming the Wacom 12WX / 21UX is going to be a bit more polished for Photoshop/drawing etc, or are they? Having not used either (tablet or tablet PC) I'm wondering what people's experiences have been?

Can you use a tablet PC for Photoshop/drawing/digital-art? or it would be practical??? ie. do tablet PCs have a pressure sensor (so they can tell how hard you are pressing with the stylus not just where it is located on the screen) like the Wacoms or just basic position sensors (if so, any particular tablet models?)?

Cheers!

Okie dokie so it would basically come down to how badly you want to draw.

Wacom lead the market in tablets so if you do plan to illustrate and use photoshop quite a bit the Wacom would be the way to go.

You simply cant beat their accuracy and amazing level of sensory.

Your tablet pc would be for more general tasks and its more of a gimmick than anything.

Personally I would steer clear of both and go with a normal wacom intuos tablet for 2 reasons.

1. The wacom Cintiqs are quite expensive.

2. There isn't a comfortable way of using them for extended periods of time.

These two factors kinda intertwine in a way.

You'd never fork out that amount of money for such a device unless you plan on using it a great deal (unless you loaded of course :P )

and then you can't use it a long time because you either get a sore or bloodless arm from holding it up or your back hurts from slouching over it.

This is only my personal view. I've used it for several hours but don't have extended experience with it so an opinion from an actual owner would be good to read.

The normal tablet I find to be a lot more comfortable, takes a little time to get used to but then you have extra dollars to upgrade your other computer bits :D

Your tablet pc would be for more general tasks and its more of a gimmick than anything.

Thats what I wasn't sure about - so best to ask - you never know, right???

Personally I would steer clear of both and go with a normal wacom intuos tablet for 2 reasons.

Well, I was thinking the Wacom Cintiq 12WX would be great. Yes, not as big as the 21UX, but kick back in a bean bag and draw away - almost liking having a sketch pad... but digital! ;)

Thats what I wasn't sure about - so best to ask - you never know, right???

Well, I was thinking the Wacom Cintiq 12WX would be great. Yes, not as big as the 21UX, but kick back in a bean bag and draw away - almost liking having a sketch pad... but digital! ;)

i use the tablet function on my dell xt2 quite reularly.

bewteen sketchbook pro by autodesk and microsoft one note its awesome, im tempted to make some tools or it though, like a ruler, compass, n stuff for maths and physics.

i love my tablet.

heh I own both. Ive got my stylistic slate For Drawing/ writing on the go or on the lounge while watching telly; and The wacom 21 ux for editing and proper Drawing to Fledge out my ideas And colour work.

All good tablets will make use of the wacom hardware. if it Doesnt stay away from it.

I Find the cintiq a pleasure to work with and Due to The Bendable Stand , you can easily nearly Lay it Flat. so no Blood drain Problem.

Ive also used the Intos a bit here and there. Its Not For me As It Feels alien to me And my co-ordination sucks hard.

the Intus series is a lot cheaper; But see how you go. one Note of advise IF you go the 21 ux Route is get yourself A clean Poly screen saver as the screen scratches Quite easily.

heh I own both. Ive got my stylistic slate For Drawing/ writing on the go or on the lounge while watching telly; and The wacom 21 ux for editing and proper Drawing to Fledge out my ideas And colour work.

All good tablets will make use of the wacom hardware. if it Doesnt stay away from it.

I Find the cintiq a pleasure to work with and Due to The Bendable Stand , you can easily nearly Lay it Flat. so no Blood drain Problem.

Ive also used the Intos a bit here and there. Its Not For me As It Feels alien to me And my co-ordination sucks hard.

the Intus series is a lot cheaper; But see how you go. one Note of advise IF you go the 21 ux Route is get yourself A clean Poly screen saver as the screen scratches Quite easily.

Hmmm.... Interesting... Ok, so the ultimate question would be it be better to go (for drawing, sketching, colouring, doodling, etc) a good tablet PC or a 'generic' laptop and a Wacom Cintiq 12WX?

Don't count out the intios either, lots and lots of peeps love them and swear by them. That said the 12xw also has great reviews, though be aware that it comes with a power pack.

If you've never digital inkt before you could try it by buying a used cheapo tablet pc, just be sure it's wacom enabled.

Or go into Harvey normal and take a gander at the initios series. I tried the bamboo pen and touch the other day and was a little disapointed at the product.

Anyways let us know how u get on and what you get.

Thanks Vanne!

Not having used a tablet of any kind (but keen to) I can't image drawing on a board then having to watch another screen to see what happens - it doesn't seem natural.

If there is the same technology from Wacom products in tablet PCs it certainly sounds interesting - kinda putting them on the same playing field. Ok, probably time for me to do some research - I would love to road test some of these products in person (just have to find a store that stocks these and has more than MS Paint for demonstrations). Cheers!

I suggest you don't get a tablet pc, as they're usually pretty weak.

Tablets like the cintiq are bit commitments imo - like buying a computer.

ATM, I'm using a Wacom Bamboo and its great.

Highly recommend you get a Wacom tablet.

Also,

Not having used a tablet of any kind (but keen to) I can't image drawing on a board then having to watch another screen to see what happens - it doesn't seem natural.

That's what I was thinking. After an hour or so of having fun with your new tablet, it feels REALLY natural, even with a 4x6 tablet.