Sign in to follow this  
aliali

New Case

Well this is a bit of a bugger. Got my new HD 5850 and the rotten thing is just a tad too long to fit my Antec Solo case.

Makes ali a sad bear.

So looking for a replacement with the following specs

Quiet

Max height of about 510mm or less, max depth of 550mm if possible (makes locating it easier).

Front (not top) usb and audio ports.

No window. Never never never a window.

Preferably no door.

Big enough to fit the new long cards needless to say.

No flashy lights and definitely no bling. So plain colours folks.

Did look at the Fractal R2 but door and top usb. Case sites up on the desk not under it, but if no other choice I could rearrange shelving and stuff to fit in under the desk, in which case maximum size can be ignored. Big job though as I would have to make some new shelves.

Cost? Preferably under $200.00 no PSU, although I could probably stretch to $300.00 if the case is something special.

Only run 3 hard drives and one DVD so doesn't need masses of drive bays.

Oh and must be quiet.

:P

So convince me why your choice of case is the one to get.

Over to all of you.

Coolermaster CM-690-II

This one. Meets all your requirements.

Well nearly. USB/Audio IO is on the top front, and I do wonder how quiet it is, but I do like the sideways hdd mounting for a bit of space saving (my old Antec Sonata had this).

Still it is an option along with the Fractal R2 and the Zalman MS1000-HS2.

Seems top mounted USB/Audio IOs are all the rage these days.

Maybe this?

Not my cup of tea, but could suit you.

Or This?

I don't know your position on where a PSU should be mounted. I prefer them at the bottom. (Everything about that had strange technological sexual innuendo)

This.

In case you feel like building a shelving unit, and having a damn fine awesome case:

Or...

If you want to get another Antec, and can put up with a silly front door.

Edited by SceptreCore

Actually looking at the cases I previously mentioned made me think of something. It would be neat to have like something with the Zalman MS1000-HS2 type HDD trays or HDD module, but mounted sideways like the CM 690 II.

The side of the case could have a cutout around the bays so you wouldn't need to remove the case side to access the bays.

Oh and SceptreCore the PC-8B can't take the long cards. Max card length is 265mm and while the HD 4850 is a tad shorter than that it leaves no room to plug the power connectors in to the end.

The PC-8NB might just do it as it has 290mm of space. Nice case too. PSU location is no real biggy. Don't mind being on the top or the bottom. :P

Ok after some umming and ahhing ordered the Zalman MS1000-HS2. Will be interesting to see what it is like in the flesh, so to speak.

Edited by aliali

Ok after some umming and ahhing ordered the Zalman MS1000-HS2. Will be interesting to see what it is like in the flesh, so to speak.

Please post some pics and do a little user review dude. I love that case.

:)

A word of advice don't buy an FT01, nice looking case but dam near impossible to sell off to people if you change your mind.

Will try to do that SceptreCore, with pictures. One of the reasons I decided on it is the modular hdd bay stuff. Interested to see how well they have implemented it.

Nesquick > cases are so massively personal and the choice can be purely subjective, so not surprised you had trouble selling the FT01.

People can really surprise you though. I was doing an i7 build for a mate some time ago and for shits and giggles threw in the Coolermaster Cosmos S as an option

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=6742

Blow me if he didn't say get it, despite it being nearly $400.00 inc freight to Tassie.

corsair 700D all over that Cosmos.

But was it available back in August 2009? I don't remember seeing it around at the time.

Besides Mark like the look of the Cosmos and yes I know that is not the be all and end all of cases, but for some people the appearance is important, as in this case.

He liked the look of it and it's interior design was suitable for the hardware.

Will try to do that SceptreCore, with pictures. One of the reasons I decided on it is the modular hdd bay stuff. Interested to see how well they have implemented it.

Cheers mate. Nothing to deep, just what you like, what you don't like, and maybe pictures of what might look a bit shonky. :)

Hot swappable HDD's FTW.

oh..miss-read the OP as requiring a front IO but no top IO..Doh

Also the fact he's already chosen a case and paid for it. :)

Can't wait for it to arrive Ali. I see you playing with those fold down panels a lot.

oh..miss-read the OP as requiring a front IO but no top IO..Doh

Ye would have preferred a front IO Harro2 but they seem to be in short supply in the cases I looked at. :P

Will keep that Xigmatek in mind for future use or customers though.

Ye hanging out for it too SceptreCore so I can get to play with the HD 5850 goodness.

Mm new toys. :P

Ye hanging out for it too SceptreCore so I can get to play with the HD 5850 goodness.

Mm new toys. :P

mmmm, it's so schecsy I want to brush things up against it.

But then I have always had a hankering for Zalman products.

Yea I recently picked up a new case to replace my El-Cheapo one and ended up with this, CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Black Case With Red Led(NoPSU) Internet Price: $125.00 Coming from my crappy case to this was sweet. :)

$125 is el cheepo too :P but nice case and nice price...enjoy bowiee

Perhaps, but the build quality is there and coming from a $50 case it's way better. Besides I cannot justify to myself spending hundreds on a case when I could spend it on upgrading my GPU ect.

Yea I recently picked up a new case to replace my El-Cheapo one and ended up with this, CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Black Case With Red Led(NoPSU) Internet Price: $125.00 Coming from my crappy case to this was sweet. :)

Perhaps, but the build quality is there and coming from a $50 case it's way better. Besides I cannot justify to myself spending hundreds on a case when I could spend it on upgrading my GPU ect.

CM 690 II Advanced FTW!

Got a friend who would be interested in that one due to the handles. He carts his PC around a fair bit and carry handles would make things easier, especially as his NZXT Lexa is getting a bit battered.

CM 690 II Advanced FTW!

I did look at that one but did not like the appearance, but the CM Storm just grabbed me :)

Got a friend who would be interested in that one due to the handles. He carts his PC around a fair bit and carry handles would make things easier, especially as his NZXT Lexa is getting a bit battered.

Yes mate and the handles are quite sturdy.

CM 690 II Advanced FTW!

I did look at that one but did not like the appearance, but the CM Storm just grabbed me :)

It's better in the metal.