Sign in to follow this  
tuner

Simple Build

Good Evening all

Well After 5 years my long but strong 939 system died (motherboard) it started out as a Asrock Dual vista Mb with a 4400x2 with 2gb ddr, then I brought the AM2 future support card and upgraded to a AM2 x2 5000 and upgraded to 4gb ddr2, this machine ran XP, Vista & Win 7 without a beat, I never overclocked it, just way too busy to muck around with it, as it did everything I want it to do

Oh the memories of that 5 year old PC :-) Anyway I would love some help, forget the fan boy crap with Intel & AMD, i would love some help

I watch DVDs, Blu rays, surf, render, audio process, mix and play games, this system is and has always been the centre of my Living room, my study is for my work and well my living room is where it all happens :-)

This is what has survived the from the old girl

Antec 650 true power, 6 months old

SoundBlaster PCI Express X-Fi Titanium

Lg Blu ray combo player

Nvidia 9800GTX 1gb

ATI AGP x1900

4x1tb HDDs

Dvico dual HDTV card

Zalman CNPS9700NT

The New build I would like to future prove it as much as possible, sata 6gb & usb3 is a must, Now ive read a bit into those 2 new features can hinder a I3 & I5 system, ive never like how Intel has changed its undies so quickly, the only Intel system I’ve had was back in the old 286 days, but if u can show me bang for my buck without overclocking, opinions and views are welcome, im looking towards the $400-$700 mark, the less the better

I was thinking of getting a AMDx6 1055t, 6 cores for $255 makes me wet, I don’t need a BE CPU as I don’t overclock,now onto the motherboard, this is where I am stuck, these are the options I was thinking( valid views and opinions are welcome ) I want to spend about $100-$150+ on a motherboard

GA-770TA-UD3

GA-770T-USB3

M4A87TD EVO (my number 1)

GA-890GPA-UD3H

Asrock 880G-Extreme 3 Motherboard (yes I know 3 PCI-E) but good SATA6gb connections

Onto the ram, once again I don’t over clock , but i do want it to match the motherboard spec and CPU

Geil 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1600 PC12800 Dragon Led

G Skill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1866Mhz PC15000 9-9-9-27-2N

Kingston 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1600MHz CL8 HyperX

Coolers, well ive currently got a Zalman 9700nt will this do the trick on the AMD CPU ?

The GFX card will stay the same, or until i cannot play the games i want with it, the case, well i have nt throught of that, but any good recommendations of a mini/ tower case to sit in my living room would be good as i have a old blend in case that has been my entertainment hub for years

Intel or AMD I don’t care, I just thought 6 cores for $ 255 isn’t to bad and that’s why I have nt spec up a Intel system. I hope u all understand

tuner

Okay. From what you're saying is that you don't want to go too technical yourself but still want the best bang for buck.

I can sort of understand your reason for the 1055 given that you need to render a few things. A Core i5 could do you some good as well but that's just me.

Anyway, advice?

1) Go with the 8*0 chipsets so the M4A87TD-EVO will probably do just fine.

2) You don't need that high spec DDR3 kits as you're not overclocking so any decent value RAM series from Corsair or Kingston will do just fine and will be better suited to you.

3) The Zalman should still work on the AM3 socket.

Okay. From what you're saying is that you don't want to go too technical yourself but still want the best bang for buck.

I can sort of understand your reason for the 1055 given that you need to render a few things. A Core i5 could do you some good as well but that's just me.

Anyway, advice?

1) Go with the 8*0 chipsets so the M4A87TD-EVO will probably do just fine.

2) You don't need that high spec DDR3 kits as you're not overclocking so any decent value RAM series from Corsair or Kingston will do just fine and will be better suited to you.

3) The Zalman should still work on the AM3 socket.

Thanks for the Reply Sora3

Just on the I5, so a intel I5 750 has 4 cores with hyper thread ? also whats a good mother board for intel, nothing to over price, i just dont know my intel chipsets, plus arnt they bogged down becuase of the PCI-e Lanes ? so USB3 & SATA6gb are getting bogged down by lack of PCI-e Lanes ?

is there anything wrong with the 770 chipsets ? they have the same 22 lanes as the mid range 8 series dont they ?

Im just trying to get some views and opions, any help would be great

Edited by tuner

The Core i5 750 has 4 physical cores but it doesn't have Hyper-threading (HT). Hyper-threading is enabled on the i7 860 and the LGA1366 i7s. For Intel if you're getting it, one board would be the Gigabyte P55A-UD3R for the i5 750. Technically, that's right in the terms of the lack of PCI-e 2.0 lanes but you'll probably be hard pressed to see the difference.

The 770 chipsets are fine now. But I'd be more willing to get a 870 chipset for the 1055 since most 770 chipsets may not support the 1055 as it depends on the motherboard manufacturer. And the 870 is more than ready to support the next gen CPUs later on.

The Core i5 750 has 4 physical cores but it doesn't have Hyper-threading (HT). Hyper-threading is enabled on the i7 860 and the LGA1366 i7s. For Intel if you're getting it, one board would be the Gigabyte P55A-UD3R for the i5 750. Technically, that's right in the terms of the lack of PCI-e 2.0 lanes but you'll probably be hard pressed to see the difference.

The 770 chipsets are fine now. But I'd be more willing to get a 870 chipset for the 1055 since most 770 chipsets may not support the 1055 as it depends on the motherboard manufacturer. And the 870 is more than ready to support the next gen CPUs later on.

Thanks for the input sora3, I shall do a bit more investigating on the Intel side now, since I’ve been straining my brain on the new AMD chipsets all day

I’ve been looking at these boards, they are all ATX, none of that small form factor stuff

M4A87TD-USB3 CF 16/4,USB3 SATA3, for about $115-$130

M4A88TD-EVO CF16/4, USB3,SATA3, for about $124-$150

M4A89GTD-PRO-USB3 CF 8/8 , USB3,SATA3 , for about $180-$300

Tho for the life of me I cannot find prices on these 2

M4A88TG-V-EVO-USB3 CF 16/4, USB3,SATA3

M4A89TD-PRO-USB3 CF 16/16, USB3,SATA3

Do u or has anyone has any experiences with the above motherboards?

now its time to look into that I5 board u recommended, cheers sora

I know them all to well as I work in the place that stocks these for the suppliers in Sydney. Anyway, CF in all means Crossfire but only the M4A89GTD-PRO-USB is the proper Crossfire solution.

To be honest, you're more better off getting the M4A88TD-EVO. I've had two of these at work and they're fine for the job they do, supporting the CPU. The M4A89GTD-PRO USB3 is only great when you're using it for Crossfire and overclocking.

Dude I'd be more inclined to get an 870A chipset. It's a bit bare bones, but it's no fuss. Just all you need really. No CF functionality, you don't need that. Also for future proofing, just get yourself a Phenom II X4 925. Then come next year, hopefully you will be able to drop a Zambezi core into it, following AMD's backwards compatibility strategy. And just a G.Skill 1333MHz CL7 set of ram. As you need to overclock to get the faster speeds over 1333 anyway.

Hopefully with these savings, you might be able to get a 5770 graphics card just for the extra bit of future proofing.

Hopefully with these savings, you might be able to get a 5770 graphics card just for the extra bit of future proofing.

I wouldnt say its worth the money. upgrading from a 9800gtx to a 4870/5770 is abit lol worthy.

Keep the card untill you cant play what you want anymore.

I wouldnt say its worth the money. upgrading from a 9800gtx to a 4870/5770 is abit lol worthy.

Keep the card untill you cant play what you want anymore.

Yeah... maybe a 5830 then.

If it was me, I would just upgrade straight to a 5850 or a 5870 instead of the 5830 as the 5830 just looks like a half sibling that doesn't look like its parents...

And the 9800GT will be fine until something kills your frame-rates which isn't rare...

If it was me, I would just upgrade straight to a 5850 or a 5870 instead of the 5830 as the 5830 just looks like a half sibling that doesn't look like its parents...

And the 9800GT will be fine until something kills your frame-rates which isn't rare...

I think he has the old GTX... not the plus model.

Not a huge difference between the 2.

There is a bit.

Well ofcourse there is a bit. When you have overclocked cards, they will perform better. Mudg3 had a GTX card overclocked to the GTX+... Just got to crank up core n' shader a bit and your there.

5ish fps between the Gtx+ and the 5770 thats fucking massive.