twinair

Would these be suitable as rear speakers in a surround sound setup?

As per title...

I have a pair of large upright speakers currently serving as my rear speakers, but they take up too much room.

So looking to get something smaller.

All my gear is Yamaha, so I thought I may aswell follow suit.

As far as input power and impedance goes, they match my amplifier specs

Is there anything else I should really be looking for in rear speakers?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

Edited by twinair

They should work fine.

Quality wise, I'd expect an indoor/outdoor speaker to compromise some quality in achieving that robustness, and the compact cabinet is likely to impact compared to a bookshelf model, but i assume that's part of the reason for changing to get that compactness - but it might be quite noticable going from floorstanders to such compact cabinets - but then I don't know your current gear or expectations.

You are likely to gain an advantage in placement, being able to place the rear speakers up higher is somewhat beneficial compared to floor standers, although you need to have suitable walls in the right place :)

Cool bananas.

I'm probably going to wall mount them, walls are in the right place.

Double brick/rendered. So a dyna-bolt type fastener would be fine.

My gear is OK, not top notch audiophile type stuff, but not shit.

Happy medium which suits me jst fine.

RXV-800 - http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...mp;CTID=5000300

NS-70's front and rear - http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avi...floor/NS-70.asp

YST-SW315 sub - http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/product...mp;CTID=5003300

And my centre speaker is some yum cha 'Energy' brand thing...which I'm looking at replacing aswell.

While I'm on that topic...what sort of difference does a centre speaker make?

Would it be beneficial to replace my ordinary one with something better?

I'm not actually happy with the quality of the sound coming out of it right now.

Edited by twinair

yeah, because typically thats where voice is mixed in a surround sound setup.

I've been told that before, but didn't realise how true it was until I hooked up the sound here and forgot the centre channel.

Almost, if not completely, a total lack of voices in James Bond and a few other movies I spun up.

Rob.

Centre speaker is very important, and while you can eq and set levels to compensate for a dodgy one, having a good centre speaker is almost as important as the mains when it comes to HT apps.

It is probably better telling your amp/source that you don't have a centre speaker and lets the front mains add it in if the centre is a lot worse than the fronts (and your fronts are correctly positioned for a 'mono' channel to affectively sound like it's coming from the screen).

From memory my centre speaker cost about 45% of the cost of my pair of front speakers - ie, it's similar value to one of them.

Yeah cool. Thnks.

I defnitely need to look at replacing it then.

I understand that the centre is where voice usually comes from, but my one sounds pretty crap.

All other sounds are great except voice...sounds like it's coming through the speakers of a 1984 television set.

Front and rear speakers, good shit though.

Ebay, here I come!

Get indoor speakers then!

The waterproofing increases the price and drops the bandwidth!

I'll have a look on the weekend.

power and budget, please.

budget is flexible...and given earlier posts I,d rather spend more on centre than rear.

The speakers in the OP i can get a pair for 150 bucks...I'd go to 300

Centre speaker, price wise, if it makes enough difference I'd be happy to spend more.

110 watts max.

Edited by twinair

I'm with stadl on the centre speaker. I would say its probably the most important speaker in a HT setup.

Its not really sticking with the Yamaha theme, but JBL Control 1's are worth looking at. Little plastic boxes often sound like little plastic boxes. Never heard the Yamaha's myself but I have heard others. The JBLs are not bad though, getting some use as professional broadcast monitoring, and they are not expensive.

yeah, because typically thats where voice is mixed in a surround sound setup.

I've been told that before, but didn't realise how true it was until I hooked up the sound here and forgot the centre channel.

Almost, if not completely, a total lack of voices in James Bond and a few other movies I spun up.

Rob.

It makes sense when you think about it. The camera is focussed on the person talking, you're facing the screen - where should the sound from the voice come from? Centre speaker!

It also allows the ability for someone off screen to be panned to one of the front speakers with some bleed to the centre, and from the rears to give the impression that someone is talking to the subject of focus from "behind" the camera.

It is probably better telling your amp/source that you don't have a centre speaker and lets the front mains add it in if the centre is a lot worse than the fronts (and your fronts are correctly positioned for a 'mono' channel to affectively sound like it's coming from the screen).

i do not understand. tell it you dont have one?

yeah. most amps have the ability to set a profile based upon your setup. stereo, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc, up to a predetermined maximum that would be reflected by the outputs available.

so what stadl is suggesting is setting a profile that is evenNumber.1, so that would eliminate the centre speaker. e.g. 4.1 would mean that you've got 2 fronts, 2 rears, and a sub. that would then mix the centre channel evenly amongst the front speakers.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

Hi, while reading this thread I found my self thinking about how we (in the AV industry) used to couple speakers together for different effects.

Like long throw, stacking - One physically inverse upon another, tweeter to tweeter, and

spread, working with wedge shaped speakers, top to top, bottom to bottom.

Spread + throw = distance.

edit> Oh and coupling the boxes is at least 3 points. two is useable.

Edited by GlennsPref

By the time you buy decent components, as in the B&W.........you don't save that much.......not on second hand gear anyway.

Great centre speaker.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/B-W-CC6S2-QUALITY-E...=item335d3ee73f

If no one bids he'll probably drop the price on a relist.

I have been watching that one and hoping for just that!

I'm beginning to wonder...how hard/expensive can it be to build my own?

alternatively, ask him a question about the speaker but don't bid. watch it, see if it ends without a bid. if it does, sling him an email and make him an offer. Worst he can do is say no, then relist it cheaper.

Its how i got my King V :)

To copy a design is cheap! But to use the same materials may be a lot harder or more expensive to accomplish.

B&W are a big name, have been for ages and probably will be for some time to come.

Edited by GlennsPref