Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
amckern

Best aged nvidia mid range card?

Hi,

My 7900GS has failed on me, hard locking on desktop, inbuilt video works fine.

I am wondering what the best last gen mid range card would be (and could i still find them for sale)

Otherwise i am happy to get a budget card that is same, or better to a 7900GS

Only thing i want is an nvidia

System

Pentuim D 3.4Ghz o/c to 3.9Ghz

2GB DDR2 @ 400Mhz bus (Mobo only eats 400Mhz RAM)

500W 'branded' power supply (cant think of the brand ATM)

2x SATA HDD

2x PATA HDD

2X DVD Burners (Dont get used at the moment due to where the case sits)

I have a golden orb HSF, so the overall length should not excead a normal 'AGP' card length

Thanks,

So you have an AGP slot? Nvidia have stopped making AGP cards after the 7950GT. ATi kept on going... so you could look for a 4670 or something like that. But I guess if you want only Nvidia, then your choice is limited to the 7 series being the best.

Sorry to confuse you, its a PCI-E, but i know that some of the newer cards are rather long.

+1 for a suitable 9600, maybe something later-generation with a bigger set of balls - but new or used?

For an "older" system like that (which'll blow the doors off my chuggy P4 2.5 GHz monstrosity, btw...), personally I'd be inclined to troll around for a good second-hand performance card of some description, based on your intended budget/intended performance usage.

There's always a power/performance-mad Geek somewhere on the Forums offloading something suitable... :)

Edited by merlin13

THanks,

I'll have a hunt around for a 9600GS - i'm only playing Left 4 Dead 2, and once in a while the latest single player version of Crysis, or CoD, or Bio Shock etc.

I'd be going for an 8800GT over a 9600GT. It's older but faster, and was super popular so should be easy enough to find one for sale somewhere.

Ok, so i got a Gainward 9800GT

I unpacked it, pluged it into my cool master 475W PSU, and the computer wont boot up

It wont even BIOS beep with 4x HDD, 2x DVD, 1x floppy, and 2x case fans un-pluged

It has NO external power, so is it being completely powered from the BUS?

I have a P4M890T-M2 (ECS Mother Board), so is my mobos BUS under powered, or is my PSU not powerful enough?

I have a netgear wireless N adapter plugged into the PCI expansion slot, and all the rest is on board.

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=107

Edited by amckern

512mb or 1024mb?

Anyway, looking at their site both cards have a 6 pin pci-e connector.

Your psu should have more than enough juice btw, I was running an e8600 with 8 case fans, 3 hdds and a 4870x2 on a 520w psu.

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=107 (512mb version is the same, has the 6 pin pci-e connector at the top right in the pic)

I'm not sure if this would have any effect like plugging a AGP8x card into an AGP 4x slot, but my mobo manual says it has a PCIe-16 1.0a, the card says it works with 2.0 - is this going to be an issue?

And yes its the 1GB model.

I'm not sure if this would have any effect like plugging a AGP8x card into an AGP 4x slot, but my mobo manual says it has a PCIe-16 1.0a, the card says it works with 2.0 - is this going to be an issue?

And yes its the 1GB model.

Was your previous card AGP?

but my mobo manual says it has a PCIe-16 1.0a, the card says it works with 2.0 - is this going to be an issue?

Shouldn't be because they are supposed to be backwards compatible. And yes it should have a power connector. possibly on one of the long edges partially hidden by the HSF cover, not on the end of the card.

Is it the model I linked? If so, the PCI-E Connector is on the top right corner of the card (when looking down at the top of the heatsinc)

PCI-E Connector is for power, incase you didn't know (if this is your first powered PCI-E card)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by nukejockey

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its the 'green edition' - on the board it has the pin out marked on it for PCI-E power, but it has no pins.

Edited by amckern

Ohh, green edition. Eek.

Interesting. You got a mate with a pci-e card you can try? Also try yours in someone elses rig?

I'm going to take it back to the retailer, and get something else - i suspect that my mobo is not supplying enough watts to on the BUS for it to start up properly.

Does your board have a 4/8pin power connector it on it somewhere that you haven't plugged in?

No the only extra thing it has is a SPIDIF connector for the HDMI

I exchanged the board for a Gigabyte 9800GT 512MB, i'll see if this works as it HAS the 6 pin connector.

Does your board have a 4/8pin power connector it on it somewhere that you haven't plugged in?

No the only extra thing it has is a SPIDIF connector for the HDMI

I exchanged the board for a Gigabyte 9800GT 512MB, i'll see if this works as it HAS the 6 pin connector.

Lol, so how did this go?

Fail as well

My computer just sucks, time to get a 1TB external, and a laptop - in the mean time, i am running on the integrated video until i can afford to upgrade.