SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

Now they need to keep pushing to match Intels release cycles. If they don't they'll be back where they started.

Did you read that FD-SOI article I posted here a couple of times?

This is probably a 1.5 generation make up so you have to say that AMD has done quite well considering the circumstances of Bulldozer.

+1

Now they need to keep pushing to match Intels release cycles. If they don't they'll be back where they started.

I don't think so really. As long as they can refine the architecture and the die shrinkage with new processes, they can afford to be at most 2 cycles behind.

As long as they can refine the architecture and the die shrinkage with new processes...

Seriously... guys... did anyone read that FD-SOI article I posted. Talks a bit about the alliances 22nm capabilities.

Not sure if this was posted but some more comparison:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pyUWXUhTaBg/To3y...lld_unigine.jpg

Interesting. AFAIAC that shows the AMD CPU is superior.

By only dropping as low as 55 FPS?

yer min fps can be very random you need to run several repeat tests for them to mean anything

i think i managed ~85fps min at 4.2ghz when i ran it at low detail the other day to see how many cores it was using

Not sure if this was posted but some more comparison:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pyUWXUhTaBg/To3y...lld_unigine.jpg

Interesting. AFAIAC that shows the AMD CPU is superior.

By only dropping as low as 55 FPS?

yer min fps can be very random you need to run several repeat tests for them to mean anything

i think i managed ~85fps min at 4.2ghz when i ran it at low detail the other day to see how many cores it was using

So the tests weren't conclusive.

There are rumours going around that only the press kits have the fully optimized BIOS firmware. So we will definitely know by the end of this week.

There are rumours going around that only the press kits have the fully optimized BIOS firmware. So we will definitely know by the end of this week.

that would make sense if you wanted to keep it under wraps.

This kind of locking that's been rumoured would make a lot of sense, the kind of gulfs we're seeing in gaming benches are possible, but seem really excessive. Unless this is AMD's Netburst... which does seem just as possible. Frack me I just don't know.

Certainly got me amped to know the answer, whatever it is. Roll on the 12th/13th already.

Edited by philo-sofa

I really don't understand that business strategy. People like to plan ahead and a lot of people have been waiting for bulldozer for a very long time. I can't imagine how many lost sales they've had because of the decision to keep things under wraps this late in the piece.

I really don't understand that business strategy. People like to plan ahead and a lot of people have been waiting for bulldozer for a very long time. I can't imagine how many lost sales they've had because of the decision to keep things under wraps this late in the piece.

It works both ways though, imagine how many lost sales there would be of their current parts if they had announced performance 6 months ago.

It works both ways though, imagine how many lost sales there would be of their current parts if they had announced performance 6 months ago.

No if you wanted bulldozer then you would just buy an AM3+ board and a cheap Phenom II 955 and overclock it.

It's a fair point, and I would be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that intel has processors that dominate the current AMD chips (not saying they are bad) for very reasonable prices.

There is also a bug with OS schedulers and bulldozer. There is a patch for it.... But guess who gets it first? Everyone who signed an NDA.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...l=1#post4969164

seems there is only a linux fix for that at the moment and its very much a hack at this stage which can create instability and performance drops

so maybe future updates will add a few % extra performance over what we are about to see in reviews

It's a fair point, and I would be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that intel has processors that dominate the current AMD chips (not saying they are bad) for very reasonable prices.

Still need some competition to keep them honest. With the i7-2700K and Ivy Bridge coming out, I guess AMD are doing the job - sort of.

There is also a bug with OS schedulers and bulldozer. There is a patch for it.... But guess who gets it first? Everyone who signed an NDA.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...l=1#post4969164

seems there is only a linux fix for that at the moment and its very much a hack at this stage which can create instability and performance drops

so maybe future updates will add a few % extra performance over what we are about to see in reviews

Well, Windows 7 and Vista was updated when Sandy Bridge came out to take advantage of AVX so I can't see Microsoft doing the same thing for Bulldozer.

I wasn't talking about process nodes, that's basically a GloFlo issue now. I'm talking about keeping up with Intels tick-tock strategy and creating innovations architecture wise.

If they don't how can they expect to become the

?

No if you wanted bulldozer then you would just buy an AM3+ board and a cheap Phenom II 955 and overclock it.

Not if you're an OEM.

I wasn't talking about process nodes, that's basically a GloFlo issue now. I'm talking about keeping up with Intels tick-tock strategy and creating innovations architecture wise.

?

Like hell. Architecture innovations go hand in hand with silicon process. Both need codeveloping simultaneously before making a sample. Half of Intels release strategy is the silicon process alone. Can't believe you of all people would overlook that.

Besides which AMD has planned upgraded modules for three more releases... And fd-soi research promises guaranteed architecture shrink to the 22nm node

How does that sound to you?

I've never seen that one. It looks new.

How cool are Fabs? I'd love to work in one. So clean and high tech... And access to chips no one else has.

?

Like hell. Architecture innovations go hand in hand with silicon process. Both need codeveloping simultaneously before making a sample. Half of Intels release strategy is the silicon process alone. Can't believe you of all people would overlook that.

Besides which AMD has planned upgraded modules for three more releases... And fd-soi research promises guaranteed architecture shrink to the 22nm node

How does that sound to you?

Sceptre, architecture innovations and silicon process may be intertwined but the silicon process is totally dependent on GloFo as it is now considered an independent company. Sure AMD does has some stocks in them, but I'd consider them as a separate entity. That eliminates that variable so the only thing AMD needs to concentrate is the architecture optimisations. That was the point of mark's post which you misinterpreted.

And calm down mate. I know you're excited but don't let your excitement become flaming really.

Edited by sora3