SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

Work like buggery on piledriver, it needs to be 25% faster than bulldozer while using 25% less power.

its rumoured to only be ~10-15% faster which should be enough to put it clearly in front of phenom but not enough to catch intel in a core vs core scenario

hopefully a power usage drop and/or higher clock speeds will come with it

windows 8 will apparently give these cpus a boost but its over a year away and will probably give intel a bit of a boost to from the little i have seen

wasn't AMD meant to be releasing some TDP limiting technology on these chips? looked really cool for server farms that needed to keep heat and power draw under control which as far as I knew AMD still held the lead over Intel?

...no need to get worked up cause the mesiah of your epenis turned out to be shit, just suck it up and go buy 2500k's like every other person with half a brain.

Main reason I can't do that; I can only afford a new board and RAM. Not CPU on top of that. Am keeping my Phenom II for a little while longer

Seeing as I really don't like Bulldozer, I see no pint buying a new board at all

And, was that aimed squarely at me? Better not have been. I never parade around, so what's' your fucking point about epenis?

That comment was not needed. As shown earlier, there are better way to get your view across. I would have though you would have been a little bit more polite, just like "every other person with half a brain."

Enough is enough

EDIT: However, if that was not aimed at me (which I seriously doubt give the way the thread has gone), I retract my statement. Please enlighten me

Edited by nobody813

Gentleman perhaps we should direct our misplaced hostility at a more appropriate source...... AMD.

The disappointment of this is enough to make me buy a geforce as my next gpu upgrade just to punish them for all the screwing around they have done. :P

Piledriver might be an option for those already on the am3+ platform, but really who here is going to buy a piledriver and a expensive mobo, just to watch a new amd platform arrive a little while later (if its not delayed).

We know piledriver based cores will be the last AM3+ cpu's, we also know that DDR4 is on it way. with both of those changes coming would you really buy into it?

This is the disappointment of having to follow my recommendations to two friends who ended up with 2600K and 2500K respectively. And I really did want to go AMD this time around.

ergh. I just looked at AMD's share price - Yuk!

Gentleman perhaps we should direct our misplaced hostility at a more appropriate source...... AMD.

I couldn't care less what AMD do tbh not because I hate them for anything just because I couldn't care less about petty brand loyalty.

The CPUs are out at the Netshop i use. The FX-8150 is coming in slightly more expensive than the 1100T

Edited by smakme7757

Well, we'll see. I think Phenom -> Phenom II was probably showing that AMD can bounce back and I really hope for competition sakes really. The problem is just the front end as it just can't process fast enough.

For what it's worth whilst we're not gonna be best mates, you got a lot of flak that comes from general frustration, and apologies for that, as well as others involvement. I wonder if working from an up-cached (and de-FUSION'd) STARS would be better for desktop users, at least for another generation.

Are you kidding me dude? Perhaps you should be putting that IQ of yours to better use.

Apparently high IQ doesn't stop you from losing perspective.

Unfortunately it often leads to finding the world frustrating. As sora3 suggested, please just leave it.

lol settle down man

it was more just following on from what you said

I still don't understand how you got dumb ass and show off from me being disappointed about Bulldozer :-/ Edited by nobody813

Damn, it just a CPU!

No need for everyone to get so emotional about it..

It seems like there must still be problems with this chip, which could be why the power usage is so high and the performance is so low in some app's.

Hopefully it will be like the GTX4xx and they will fix the problems in the next release, which will probably not be far away.

Well, we'll see. I think Phenom -> Phenom II was probably showing that AMD can bounce back and I really hope for competition sakes really. The problem is just the front end as it just can't process fast enough.

For what it's worth whilst we're not gonna be best mates, you got a lot of flak that comes from general frustration, and apologies for that, as well as others involvement. I wonder if working from an up-cached (and de-FUSION'd) STARS would be better for desktop users, at least for another generation.

Are you kidding me dude? Perhaps you should be putting that IQ of yours to better use.

Apparently high IQ doesn't stop you from losing perspective.

Unfortunately it often leads to finding the world frustrating. As sora3 suggested, please just leave it.

Well, working in a distie doesn't help a lot given that environment and given the frustration over AMD in bringing their CPUs up to spec just ticked me over. And rarely do I lose it, if ever. And apologies as well from my end. The problem I feel is that a 32nm Stars won't work either. We all saw it against the 2500K with Llano. It's too old and just not feasible now. Basically, Sandy Bridge had gotten AMD in the corner and that's it.

@ nesquick, I may feel that way but the other half of my brain tells me that without AMD, we wouldn't have such a good time and CPUs would cost double of what they're worth. So I'll buy AMD when they release Piledriver. Enough said.

lol settle down man

I still don't understand how you got dumb ass and show off from me being disappointed about Bulldozer :-/

It wasn't even directed at you...

At least it's released and AMD have a decent replacement for the Phenom IIs now.

But then Intel haven't even released the 2700K or Ivy Bridge yet.

lol settle down man

I still don't understand how you got dumb ass and show off from me being disappointed about Bulldozer :-/

See this ^^

This isn't going to lead to anything productive. nesquick is looking to leave it alone. nobody813, I would suggest you do the same and bring the thread back on topic like so many others are trying to do.

Colour me disappointed.

I was hoping that AMD could lure me away from Intel (I've always had intel) on my next build - which is hopefully happening at year end. Unfortunately it was not to be. I think the back and forwards in this thread shows that it's both an intellectual and emotional purchase for computer enthusiasts when considering purchasing new hardware.

lol settle down man

See this ^^

This isn't going to lead to anything productive. nesquick is looking to leave it alone. nobody813, I would suggest you do the same and bring the thread back on topic like so many others are trying to do.

If I had of known that, none of this would have happened. This is good to know. And yes, we'll move on

Ok so after reading a few in depth reviews I really dont see what everyone is making a big deal about. This got hyped to hell my markerting and a lot of people fell for it. Everyone was sitting here hoping for the next athlon x2. This isnt it but its not "that" far behind and if pricing is anything like the current line up this could be competitive.

For the current guys with 990 boards Its not that bad an option if your looking to upgrade.

Ok so after reading a few in depth reviews I really dont see what everyone is making a big deal about. This got hyped to hell my markerting and a lot of people fell for it. Everyone was sitting here hoping for the next athlon x2. This isnt it but its not "that" far behind and if pricing is anything like the current line up this could be competitive.

For the current guys with 990 boards Its not that bad an option if your looking to upgrade.

Decent point

I've just got to decide whether or not to go ahead with a board and RAM upgrade, and get Bulldozer later down the track (unlikely at the moment), or go with the norm that is a 2500k system (also unlikely due to funding)

Going from a Pentium 4 to an Athlon 64 X2 to a Phenom II were big steps, and I was hopeful that would happen also with Bulldozer

EDIT: Might start a thread on that later, as I don't have a clue what to do

Edited by nobody813

Ive bought AMD for a long time now and usually buy them since they change the socket rarely. I had a Pentium at 66mhz desktop and a Pentium II in a laptop, but after those I have had slot A, socket A, 939, and AM3. Ive built only AMD for friends and family for the price/performance, beside for work which used Intel. I guess Im kinda a fanboi and always wanted and hoped AMD to come back on top. I really was thinking that the Bulldozer would be a awesome chip until I started digging more and more on "fake" reviews. While I do believe there will be some enhancements to the bios and windows, it still seems much to lacking in the IPC for this generation. If these were PII cores in a module that would have been awesome.

For now Im going to jump ship and go with Intel for my next build. Ill show my support for AMD with ATi cards. Those wanting to show support can still do that since they are still competitive there... WE still all need AMD! Im not knocking the new chip, its just seems very rough around the edges. The idea was great, execution was horrible. Servers could see a benefit maybe. But really I feel like a dumbass waiting this long and continually searching (wasting my time) for any signs of hope that AMD was going to put out a great chip. Not a slower single thread, sometimes better multi thread, FX that cant hardly win against the PII line up of years ago now....

I truly wish the best for them but as a enthusiast, I want the best for my money...

I was thinking the exact same thing. When trudging through that shit storm in the earlier pages... I was thinking... Did everyone read different reviews to me?

It just manages to best the 2500k in some tasks and falls short in others. So it's not fast in single threaded tests. Oh no. Who here is running a single core in their rig? And as proven... It can roll with the best of Intel for gaming. Which... Be honest, that's what most of us do. We dont really care how long it takes to convert this, and compress that. Clearly orochi didn't bring it for bulldozer. And seems like it was rushed to just get something new out the door. As journos were commenting about the odd cache latencies, shows it didn't really get the testing time it needed. Or maybe these are process issues or something else that can be ironed out.

I confess I find it dissatisfying to see so many chucking big sads, and letting their senses escape them.

I myself am still quite content with BDs performance, except for the power consumption. Which for someone as familiar with the architecture as i am... Shouldnt be happening. We all saw how llano can one up SB for power efficiency. So I'll keep monitoring the situation, and see if it improves. I can't buy it till then as we West Aussies have to be more power concious.

Edited by SceptreCore

TechPowerUp's opinion

- AMD FX-8150 is missing its performance expectations by a fair margin. Not to mention performance gains in its own presentation, these expectations were built up by how AMD was shaping the product to be a full-fledged enthusiast product with significant performance gains over the previous generation

- AMD ill-marketed the FX-8150. Hype is a double-edged sword, and should not be used if you're not confident your offering will live up to at least most of the hype. AMD marketed at least the top-tier FX-8000 series eight-core processors as the second coming of Athlon64 FX.

- FX-8150 launch isn't backed up by launch of other AMD FX processors. This could go on to become a blunder. The presence of other FX series processors such as the FX-8120, six-core and four-core FX processors could have at least made the price performance charts look better, given that all FX processors are unlocked, buyers could see the value in buying them to overclock. TweakTown took a closer look into this.

- There are no significant clock-for-clock improvements over even AMD's own previous generation. The FX-8150 drags its feet behind the Phenom II X6 1100T in single-threaded math benchmarks such as Super/HyperPi, the picture isn't any better with Cinebench single-threaded, either.

- Multi-threaded data streaming applications such as data compression (WINRAR, 7-ZIP) reveal the FX-8150 to catch up with competition from even the Core i7-2600K. This trend keeps up with popular video encoding benchmarks such as Handbrake and x264 HD.

- Load power draw is bad, by today's standards. It's not like AMD is lagging behind in silicon fabrication technologies, or the engineering potential that turned around AMD Radeon power consumption figures over generations.

Price could be a major saving grace. In the end, AMD FX 8150 has an acceptable price-performance figure. At just $25 over the Core i5-2500K, the FX-8150 offers a good performance lead.

- Impressive overclocking potential. We weren't exactly in awe when AMD announced its Guinness Record-breaking overclocking feat, but reviewers across the board have noticed fairly good overclocking potential and performance scaling.

Opinions?

Maybe for someone like me wanting to upgrade to something, just getting the PII X6 with my current MB would be best for the price. It definely is not worth it for anyone on a AM3 to get a new AM3+ MB and BD. But really I would see little gain going that route since I kinda have a PII X4 (unlocked) even at a low 3.5ghz.

Maybe for someone like me wanting to upgrade to something, just getting the PII X6 with my current MB would be best for the price. It definely is not worth it for anyone on a AM3 to get a new AM3+ MB and BD. But really I would see little gain going that route since I kinda have a PII X4 (unlocked) even at a low 3.5ghz.

What about someone with AM3 Phenom II in an AM2+ board?

In summary if you have a 1090T, 1100T, 2500K and 2600K ... the FX-8150 won't obsolete your CPU in terms of performance.