SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

phenom is a k10. phenom II is a k10.5 and i believe both are part of something called the 10h family but the 10h thing confuses me a bit.

K9 was a never named processor that was apparently very very parallel AMD developed it to near completion before realising it would never achieve any kind of clock speed and the core size was so large as to relegate them to single core offering for the foreseeable future. But thats just something I read many years ago, AMD never confirmed or denied it so it could be nothing more than fud. Phenom came after that however.

I do find it strange now that we can see what bulldozer is that they went from a remarkably wide single core proposed design to this shared resource multi-core design to replace their k series of processors. The phenom II seams to sit right in the middle. Change for the sake of it perhaps. Maybe some engineer somewhere just want their name on reinventing the wheel, and that's what they tried to do. I would not be surprised if Bulldozer starts to look more and more like a phenom II over time.

Really Piledriver is going to answer a lot of questions I think. I would also suspect that when piledriver makes its way out the door that AMD will be more forthcoming with answers about bulldozers shortcomings.

Something I'vve only just realized is that Trinity has 2 bulldozer modules (4cores) and a graphics card in the (rumored) same wattage as llano and + %50 percent performance on llano- to me that says that the piledriver cores are A LOT more power efficient considering that trinity also has a bigger graphics card to put in the same watt envelope and A LOT more powerful then the current orchi cores because the A8 3850 (quad core llano) is only slightly less powerful on single threads then bulldozer.

yes not to mention that trinity is going up against the same amount of cores in its predecessor, bulldozer only had to tackle 6 cores in a phenom X6 while have 8 of its own. Trinity and Llano both have 4 cores, and yes AMD have made a +50% statement.

I'm going to guess they might be talking about turbo core here. Llano can hit 2.6ghz (I think it was) under turbo, with a slight deficit that would mean a current bulldozer core would need to be around 4.0Ghz. I cant see that happening. I'm getting the impression that some major improvements have happened with piledriver.

So considering I already bought a 990FX motherboard, and now I don't want bulldozer and will choose to keep the board.. For me and anyone else who is in the same situation what should I do? Go a phenom II x6?

Im even tempted to get a phenom II x4 because of how cheap they are and I could spend the rest on other upgrades like some more ram and HDD space.(or games since theres so many coming out atm.) After all, I rarely use my good pc for anything other then gaming anymore and when compared with all options I have for this board, a Phenom II 965BE seems like my best bet for that purpose.

Atleast I'll still have an upgrade path if they really polish up the next gen bulldozer.

Yea if it was me I'd get a 1090T or an X4, buy a decent cooler and overclock the bejesus out of it. Then if you've got spare cash grab some other new components or games.

And then hope that piledriver will fix the bulldozer performance/power usage problems

Edited by UberPenguin

Yea if it was me I'd get a 1090T or an X4, buy a decent cooler and overclock the bejesus out of it.

Yep thats the plan then! Cheers.

It's weird seeing AMD cpu owners here telling others not to buy a Bulldozer.

Well at the current pricing it makes absolutely no sense, especially compared to the cheap X6's.

@Jeruselem yeah its a sad state of affairs that the leading cpu is just not better then the previous gen at single threaded tasks and as thats the world we live in at the moment....

At 4ghz (which is quite easy on a 1090T or and X4) they are very good chips and currently only about $180 and an 965 X4 will set you back about $145, compare that to the $380 (australia tax) investment on bulldozer that wont perform as well in games at least, can preform very similarly in other things and thats a $200 premium for not any bang for your buck.

@Jeruselem yeah its a sad state of affairs that the leading cpu is just not better then the previous gen at single threaded tasks and as thats the world we live in at the moment....

At 4ghz (which is quite easy on a 1090T or and X4) they are very good chips and currently only about $180 and an 965 X4 will set you back about $145, compare that to the $380 (australia tax) investment on bulldozer that wont perform as well in games at least, can preform very similarly in other things and thats a $200 premium for not any bang for your buck.

And then we have 960T now out ... and the alternative CPUs from the other company.

Edited by Jeruselem

And it is a bit sad too. Basically, it's like saying 'fuck competition' really. I want AMD to keep Intel honest but with people saying this, I can't say we can have real competition.

Well at the current pricing it makes absolutely no sense, especially compared to the cheap X6's.

True. But hopefully, we'll see a new revision soon or better pickups. After thinking a lot, I've probably decided to see what happens. If the prices are too high, then bugger all. Otherwise, I'll take one and just keep competition alive...

And it is a bit sad too. Basically, it's like saying 'fuck competition' really. I want AMD to keep Intel honest but with people saying this, I can't say we can have real competition.

It's not up to the consumer to keep competition going. You buying their CPU is saying that releasing rubbish is ok. It's not ok.

If you want to fund AMD, buy the GPUs which are actually worth paying for, or their Fusion based notebooks.

And then we have 960T now out ...

Yeah, I was about to say that. Surprised when they came onto the market. I think I posted about it :P

I'd like to see an Atomican try one

So you wan't us to mislead people just so they can support AMD financially?

If they come down in price in the coming months I will recommend them, but at their current prices there isn't any reason to buy them.

I don't know why some people feel compelled to "Make a difference". AMD might not have the best CPU in town, but their top management isn't living in the gutter either!

I don't know that sora3 was saying that he wished people just said 'get Bulldozer', so much as lamenting that the fact that even AMD owners are advising against Bulldozer is indicative of just how uncompetitive the situation is. Or maybe I'm misreading.

Well, what you think really is what you think. I can't influence that. That much is simple as it is. I just feel very annoyed give or take the point I want to butcher the idiots at AMD itself. I think I need a holiday and fast...

Well, what you think really is what you think. I can't influence that. That much is simple as it is. I just feel very annoyed give or take the point I want to butcher the idiots at AMD itself. I think I need a holiday and fast...

It's only a single product though. Both AMD and Intel have released stinkers before and always bounced back, why are you so hung up over this? Worst case they don't make as much money, but AMD isn't dead and buried because of one failed product, as long as their followup products are of optimal quality.

It's only a single product though. Both AMD and Intel have released stinkers before and always bounced back, why are you so hung up over this? Worst case they don't make as much money, but AMD isn't dead and buried because of one failed product, as long as their followup products are of optimal quality.

I don't think so mate. The problem is that the stigma will still be around regardless if the next product is a success. Look at the Phenom. It took a long time before people accepted the Phenom II was competitive and by that time, it was too late as Intel romped home with Westmere. Optimal or not, people don't forgive mistakes easily.

And working at my place isn't quite as happy as people say it is given how many sad faces we've got over here since Bulldozer has been proven a dud.

Bulldozer doesn't have a TBL error, and in pure clock terms it isn't crappy like Phenom 1. People can also argue till they're blue in the face that it's not that bad. Don't get me wrong, I think it is pretty much that bad, but for fair and unfair reasons I don't know if Bulldozer will have as bad a reputation as Phenom got.