SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

I don't know that sora3 was saying that he wished people just said 'get Bulldozer', so much as lamenting that the fact that even AMD owners are advising against Bulldozer is indicative of just how uncompetitive the situation is. Or maybe I'm misreading.

This is what I was driving at and apologies for not noticing this earlier. Basically, the thing I'll see until Piledriver gets released will be Intel, Intel and more Intel. Forget GPUs as that is a completely different market. GPUs will always be profitable, regardless of the outcome.

Bulldozer doesn't have a TBL error, and in pure clock terms it isn't crappy like Phenom 1. People can also argue till they're blue in the face that it's not that bad. Don't get me wrong, I think it is pretty much that bad, but for fair and unfair reasons I don't know if Bulldozer will have as bad a reputation as Phenom got.

I think it will. Most reviewers are disappointed that the execution of Bulldozer was pretty bad and the end result was poor. I'm just hoping (I'm not hoping much really) that Piledriver will be successful. But that looks very very dim.

I dont think its quite so dim for piledriver especially considering that they already announced it before bulldozer was even out - to me that says that even AMD knew that bulldozer (zambezi) wasn't going to work all that well so they released it and get to work fixing it for piledriver. Which (trinity based off piledriver cores) is supposed to be 50% more powerful then llano, if thats true then it would finally be competitive.

as long as we don't start pinning our hopes on the next one to bridge the gap and make a lead.

in a world were Intel sits on its hands for 2 years, we may not be on a road to sadsville.

as long as we don't start pinning our hopes on the next one to bridge the gap and make a lead.

in a world were Intel sits on its hands for 2 years, we may not be on a road to sadsville.

There's only the small problem of the 2700K and Ivy Bridge CPUs with that gap.

There's only the small problem of the 2700K and Ivy Bridge CPUs with that gap.

And the release of the Sandy Bridge E series CPUs.

Actually, that also brings up the point of why AMD chose not to make Fusion parts using Bulldozer cores, and skipped straight to Piledriver?

Yeah but with any luck they will launch on time which is supposed to be Q2 next year and they wont even try to compete with sandybridge E because the last thing we need is for AMD to release an $800 CPU that gets street cred that no one will buy. They just need to topple the 2600k.

Isnt the 2700K just going to be a 2600K with a higher stock speed?

Yeah but with any luck they will launch on time which is supposed to be Q2 next year and they wont even try to compete with sandybridge E because the last thing we need is for AMD to release an $800 CPU that gets street cred that no one will buy. They just need to topple the 2600k.

Isnt the 2700K just going to be a 2600K with a higher stock speed?

Yeah, pretty much. 3.5Ghz with 3.9G turbo.

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages...-2011oct19.aspx

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21857

These past few years have been quite eventful for Mark Papermaster. In 2008, he left IBM after a 26-year stretch to head the iPod and iPhone hardware teams at Apple. He was subsequently sued by his former employer, then left Apple in August 2010 shortly after the iPhone 4 antenna issues came to light. Now, after barely a year at Cisco, Papermaster has joined AMD:

AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced today that Mark Papermaster, 50, has joined as the company’s senior vice president and chief technology officer. He will report to President and Chief Executive Officer Rory Read and will oversee all of AMD’s engineering, research and development (R&D), and product development functions as the head of the newly-formed Technology and Engineering Group. Papermaster, who was most recently vice president of Silicon Engineering at Cisco, will be responsible for establishing and executing the company’s technology and product roadmaps, integrated hardware and software development, and overseeing the creation of all of AMD’s products.

The advanced research and development team led by Senior Vice President of Research and Development Chekib Akrout, as well as the engineering teams residing in AMD’s Products Group, will now report to Papermaster. Akrout, 53, will maintain responsibility for leading AMD’s processor core development as well as system-on-a-chip (SoC) design methodology. In recognition of his ongoing technical and management contributions, Akrout will continue serving on AMD’s senior leadership team responsible for key decision making and strategy setting.

The Wall Street Journal said Papermaster's departure from Apple was driven by "broader cultural incompatibility" and a loss of confidence from Steve Jobs. Perhaps Papermaster will fit in better at AMD, though. He certainly has the credentials to do so.

According to the court decision about the aforementioned lawsuit, Papermaster spent a whopping 15 years working on CPU development at IBM. His work centered on IBM's Power architecture, and he eventually became IBM's VP of Microprocessor Technology Development. Papermaster is purportedly "viewed within IBM as the 'top expert' in 'Power' architecture . . . and in the industry as an 'extremely well-respected figure in the clubby world of chip design.'" That's quite a track record.

AMD's decision to bring on Papermaster might be related to the relatively underwhelming performance of the first wave of Bulldozer CPUs. In any case, let's hope Papermaster helps AMD put up a better fight against Intel.

I'm sure there are many rhymes that can be made from Papermaster and piledriver. I'm not even going to try.

I hope this works out well for them. I had a bit of a look at the Sparc T4 processor, it looks similar to a bulldozer design it's different of course (it is sparc afterall). difference is the final performance of the chip out done even what the engineers expected from it. so clearly the Bulldozer/Niagara type design can work. In my opinion power architecture is more potent for single threads than sparc designs. If Papermaster really is a god of Power based designs then maybe they can find a lot more single threaded performance in bulldozer.

PS Firefox 7.0.1 seems to object to self-signed certs in the 2nd link.

Huh? Didn't have any issues on mine. It's not a https page either so what cert is it talking about?

So AMD hired the guy who was responsible for the iPhone4 dodgy reception issues?

it was that guy or Papermario.

PS Firefox 7.0.1 seems to object to self-signed certs in the 2nd link.

Huh? Didn't have any issues on mine. It's not a https page either so what cert is it talking about?

Seems to be fixed now.

Yea it was a good article and it seems that the opinion in this thread was pretty much on the money (as per the articles perspective) for why it failed. It does seem to suggest that piledriver could be a hopeful candidate for fixing many of bulldozers issues - and I for one hope that they are right.

FWIW I ended up buying a 960T instead of bulldozer. The extra single-core performance and super-cheap price made it a better way to go for me. Unless AMD pick up their game with Piledriver though, I can see myself going back to an Intel based rig......

FWIW I ended up buying a 960T instead of bulldozer. The extra single-core performance and super-cheap price made it a better way to go for me. Unless AMD pick up their game with Piledriver though, I can see myself going back to an Intel based rig......

Benchmark/review please :-D

Always wanted to know how the 960T's were like

Everyone is now buying cheap Phenom IIs or 2500Ks or 2600Ks now? Like there is no Bulldozer CPU series?

:D

Aren't the 960Ts the 1090T or 1100Ts with two disabled cores?

Edited by Jeruselem

Everyone is now buying cheap Phenom IIs or 2500Ks or 2600Ks now? Like there is no Bulldozer CPU series?

:D

Yes

I wish all Phenom II X4's were based of Thuban, after they came out. While Deneb was good, Thuban is so much better (I think my X4 uses just as much power as an X6)

Will do, it arrived this morning, so I will be installing it when I get home from work this arvo time permitting. Hopefully it clocks pretty well under water >:)

What benches you want me to run??

Yes

I wish all Phenom II X4's were based of Thuban, after they came out. While Deneb was good, Thuban is so much better (I think my X4 uses just as much power as an X6)

Interesting, I didn't realise that, I just bought it because it was the cheapest quad core BE, and it had a low rated TDP. Should clock pretty damn well then hopefully :D Edited by G-relk