SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

Thuban and Deneb the same topology wise (just 2 extra cores) AFAIK? The improvements just coming from an enhanced execution of the topology (giving lower TDP etc)? If that's the case then TBH the main poin tof interest would be how high it can clock and how much power it consumes doing so? If these can get up to 4.5GHz they'd be an inrteresting piece of kit IMO.

Edited by philo-sofa

its an interesting case in point considering how those articles on bulldozer essentially said its completely refined - look at thurban vs deneb the refinements there are far lower stock voltage and a larger overclock posibility. Bulldozer could do well if the same amount of work was put into piledriver

Thuban and Deneb the same topology wise (just 2 extra cores) AFAIK? The improvements just coming from an enhanced execution of the topology (giving lower TDP etc)? If that's the case then TBH the main poin tof interest would be how high it can clock and how much power it consumes doing so? If these can get up to 4.5GHz they'd be an inrteresting piece of kit IMO.

I will agree with that. Shouldn't be faster clock for clock. Probably should have just said OC and temps

My Phenom II X4 965 needs 1.5v (from memory) to get it to 4GHz, though I may try that again by the end of the week

Edited by nobody813

If they take Bulldozer and just remove the excess 20% transistor count, it'd be a lot better. Let's hope Piledriver is that product.

B3 Stepping of Bulldozer is semi-official, appearing in some documentation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4997/amd-wor...zer-b3-stepping

If they take Bulldozer and just remove the excess 20% transistor count, it'd be a lot better. Let's hope Piledriver is that product.

I doubt they can just remove that 20% extra the AMD engineer talked about as being a result of auto-designing; that 20% is a functional part of the chip topology - it's not 20% useless silicon tacked on the end. To remove it you'd have to completely (or largely) redesign. Edited by philo-sofa

I'm a fanboi of AMD but even I am getting really disallusioned with AMD, to bring out a product this underperforming at this price is just... well... stupid.

I'm glad I didn't buy a new mobo in preparation for bulldozer, fark!

Think I will stick with my trusty X6 for some time until AMD sorts their shit out, but still I wont move to Intel just yet LOL.

But maybe one day hahaha

B3 Stepping of Bulldozer is semi-official, appearing in some documentation: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4997/amd-wor...zer-b3-stepping

I doubt they can just remove that 20% extra the AMD engineer talked about as being a result of auto-designing; that 20% is a functional part of the chip topology - it's not 20% useless silicon tacked on the end. To remove it you'd have to completely (or largely) redesign.

Yeah, it's not useless stuff, just perhaps inefficiently placed/routed. Manual tweaking will still help reduce die size and power though.

B3 eh? Maybe some higher bin speeds coming?

I'm a fanboi of AMD but even I am getting really disallusioned with AMD, to bring out a product this underperforming at this price is just... well... stupid.

I have a feeling that after such a long time in development AMD was getting to the stage where they just had to push it out to start getting revenue back from all the hard work put into designing it.

All they need do is work on improving IPC and I think the rest of it will scale rather well performance wise. Their new architecture has to start somewhere.

Edited by mark84

if nothing else it gives them a working model of the architecture - think of it as beta testing.

On the plus side considering the quite bad single threaded performance the times when its performing well multithreaded are really quite spectacular, if we run on the assumption that an increase in single threaded tasks will net a better multithreaded performance.

Your going to have to wait a but before I can post my overclocking results with my new 960T - I opened my case to change the CPU to find that the water in my W/C loop had gone cloudy. It stained the tubes as well, so I luckily had enough spare to cut some new ones, but after flushing the loop out, I realised I don't have enough distilled water to fill it again - d'oh!

Lesson learned though - you need more than just algae killer and water in your loop :S Not sure if it was corrosion, or algae, but whatever the case, its gone now :D

I run demineralised water only, never ever had a problem. Lucky me.

Though every block is copper, I don't have some weird mixed blocks that may cause this, or strong dyes

I run demineralised water only, never ever had a problem. Lucky me.

Though every block is copper, I don't have some weird mixed blocks that may cause this, or strong dyes

The water wasn't too cloudy, but all the hoses were stained really bad. Gave the loop a flush, and this time I have added less algae killer, and put a piece of silver in - see how it goes this time. both my block and rad are copper, the barbs are nickel plated brass through, so I don't know if that's what caused the problem.

Next thing I have to do is get a T line or something installed to make it easy to drain - I got water EVERYWHERE D:

Update on pricing for Bulldozer, our supplier at work has the FX-8120 on their website now, and it should have a street price of around $270 at a rough guess.

Going on that price, the FX8150 should probably be around the $290 - $300 mark.

Not as stupidly priced as the initial pre-order prices that were floating around, but still not cheap enough to justify it over a Phenom II X6 or an i5 2500K IMO......

Update on pricing for Bulldozer, our supplier at work has the FX-8120 on their website now, and it should have a street price of around $270 at a rough guess.

Going on that price, the FX8150 should probably be around the $290 - $300 mark.

Not as stupidly priced as the initial pre-order prices that were floating around, but still not cheap enough to justify it over a Phenom II X6 or an i5 2500K IMO......

Yeah but its not bad, actually if they drop a bit that would be great, changes my mind a bit on bulldozer actually.

Especially reading some more reviews on it, if all I have to do is drop it into my existing board then not so bad after all.

I guess it's better value with realistic pricing but anyone with top end Phenom II or Thuban might hold off still.

anyone know if there is any mb with igp compatible with 8120 yet?

I think the 890 series chipsets are compatible with a BIOS update?? I might be wrong though....

I think the 890 series chipsets are compatible with a BIOS update?? I might be wrong though....

thats what i have read yet to find one with this bios update though

maybe next month

I would like to see reports on a chip fitting the physical socket, the AM3 has smaller pinholes thanthe AM3+.

but I has heard that the 9 series may be phycological/marketing to make sure some one doe snot start stuffing new chips into anythign that fits. which is just about any AM socket.

again, awaiting reports of some one trying an 8 series with a bios update.

considering I have a 870, which looks very much like the 970 my kids have, i am very keen to see if I can get some form up upgrade outof an FX chip.

There are some 880 boards with the AM3+ socket, like this one

And 2 FX chips are up on PC Case Gear

Sorry, saw this and had to post it:

Chinese built Caterpillar?

I thought it was bout reconstructin in Iraq.