SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

More like a Top Gear review of a Bulldozer... directed by Jeremy Clarkson

No no, a Mythbusters review. What happens to CPU if you try to overclock it to 10Ghz without a cooler.

Finally some news about something other than Zambezi :P

AMD Trinity Detailed Further, Compatible with A75 Chipset

AMD detailed its upcoming "Virgo" PC platform that consists of next-generation "Trinity" APU (accelerated processing unit), and current-generation AMD A75 "Hudson-D" chipset. A notable revelation here is that the next-gen APUs will be compatible with AMD A75, although it will be designed for a new socket called FM2. It remains to be seen if FM1 and FM2 are pin-compatible.

"Trinity" packs four x86-64 cores based on the next-generation "Piledriver" architecture, arranged in two Piledriver modules. A module is a closely-knit group of two cores, with certain shared and dedicated resources. Each Piledriver module has 2 MB of L2 cache shared between the two cores. In all, Trinity, with its two modules, has 4 MB of L2 cache without any L3 cache.

Posted Image

AMD is talking about a 20% performance improvement over current-generation "Llano" APUs, which use K10 "Stars" architecture cores. Trinity will feature 3rd-generation TurboCore technology that adds a few new power-management and selective overclocking features.

The integrated memory controller will get an overhaul, too. Unlike with K10-based processors that have two independent 64-bit wide memory interfaces that can be configured to work ganged or unganged, Trinity will have a single 128-bit memory interface, the controller will support dual-channel DDR3-2133 MHz memory standard, with DRAM voltages of under 1.5V. Trinity will include a 24-lane PCI-Express root complex, it supports 2-way multi-GPU configurations.

Moving on to the integrated GPU component, AMD promises a 30% performance improvement over Llano's iGPU. The GPU component is DirectX 11 compliant, and features UVD 3 hardware HD video acceleration, with SAMU and native VCE. Featuring AMD Eyefinity technology, this integrated GPU will support up to three displays without needing a discrete graphics card. Eyefinity can be used to step up productivity.

Edited by nobody813

Trinity does look decent , though I note they say the performance improvement is based on media (i.e. multithreaded workloads) which raises the same old questions about per-thread performance. Hopefully Piledriver delivers though...

Edited by philo-sofa

Well at the very least they must have fixed up a lot of bulldozers excess power usage since that is kind of frowned upon in a laptop. I know I prefer it when laptops last more than 15 minutes on a charge and don't melt in the process.

As I said before if they are promising 20% - 50% (the number was 50%, but this slide says 20%, wish they would pick one) greater cpu performance from trinity and we have llano with 4 cores and trinity with 4 core, while the fight between zambezi and thuban was 8 vs 6 cores and they were even on performance. so for piledriver to be winning with the same amount of cores is a great step up. If it's not just AMD's hype machine in full action. of course they could just be playing coy and running their 20% number of of the slowest llano sku and not a comparable sku like they should be (and we expect).

My biggest question about the validity of that statement is with how effective llano's turbo is, we saw in the anandtech bulldozer review that phenom x6 turbo was all but useless, while zambezi's version was quite effective. if llano's turbo is ineffective and the laptop clocks are around 1.5ghz then it could be quite easy for amd to offer 50% cpu performance than llano with effective turbo core.

I am excited about AMDs APUs.

I find myself questioning the reasoning behind the above post. when run programs on my I have noticed that,

A) i do not use all of my 6 cores. and most of the time it's only 2.

B) in monitoring my CPU I generaly get core #0 while I can see Cores #1 & 4 are being used and most likely being boosted.

C) my total CPU load is about 60%.

If this was maximum power gaming, it would also support viewas that the A8 is sub par, but this chip is not built to rival the Maximum performace of a gaming PC, it seems to be aimed at the general gaming experience. they showcased the 3850 with Dirt3 in DirectX11 with 30fps. 30fps is OK, not uber but OK.

and this next one looks to continue the trend of capable CPU with upgraded graphics. and that Ram speed is something I have been wanting from AMD *drools*.

and size, the e350 is little. this will give us smaller PCs capable of more graphical performance.

this is also another step in AMDs road to SPUs in the next 2 years.

I'm not sure if you were commenting back agaisnt my post. however what i see in your post is the 'and most likely being boosted' phrase. Anandtech done a review on bulldozer and found its turbo core kicks in about 30% of the time with phenom x6's turbo core only kicks in about 5% of the time (or there abouts). It's night and day on turbo core performance. if llano's turbo core is good then that makes piledriver/trinity beating it by 20% all the more exciting.

http://www.computerbase.de/news/2011-10/am...form-enthuellt/

EDIT: Follow link for tables of products/features.

AMD Brazos 2.0 platform detailed

According to a report over at Computerbase.de, AMD plans to refresh it Brazos lineup with Brazos 2.0 parts in Q1 2012. The second Brazos generation will also bring new names to both CPU and GPU parts.

Brazos 2.0 will feature updated Zacate APUs as well as higher clocked GPUs. The E-450 will get a replacement in the name of E2-1800. The CPU part practically remains the same deal except for slight boost in clock set at 1.7GHz. The GPU will be rebranded to HD 7430 and will end up clocked at 523MHz (680MHz with Turbo). The E2-1800 CPU part could also get a Turbo mode that should differentiate it from the E-450 part.

The E-300 part will be replaced by the E1-1200 clocked at 1.4GHz while the GPU part will be rebranded to HD 7310. Brazos 2.0 also brings a new mobile chipset, the A68M. The A68M looks like a cut back version of the A50M as it features only two SATA 6Gbps and eight USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 ports. It also comes with native DisplayPort support as well as RAID 0 and RAID 1 support. Of course, all of these cutbacks are meant to cut power consumption making the Brazos 2.0 platform ideal for those ultra-thin and netbook platforms.

The new addition is also the Brazos-T platform designed for tablets. This one is also scheduled for Q1 2012 and will use the A55T chipset combined with the Hondo APU. This combination should bring significantly lower power consumption when compared to the current Z-01 tablet APU platform.

The new Q1 2012 scheduled Brazos 2.0 platform will live until we see the 28nm Wichita and Krishna APUs scheduled for "later in 2012".

Edited by mark84

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2..._Shortages.html

AMD Beats Own Revenue Forecast Despite of 32nm Chip Shortages.

Despite of the fact that Globalfoundries could not ship enough new-generation microprocessors made using 32nm SOI process technology to Advanced Micro Devices, the latter managed to beat its own revenue forecasts. Thanks to high demand towards its multi-core server chips based on Bulldozer micro-architecture and the popularity of Fusion A-series accelerated processing units (APUs), the company even posted $97 million income.

AMD said late on Thursday that revenue for the third quarter of 2011 was $1.69 billion, net income was $97 million (or $0.13 per share) and operating income of $138 million. $1.69 billion is higher than AMD anticipated in its mid-quarter update (up to $1.66 billion), but is still lower than the company predicted originally ($1.749 billion and upwards). AMD's gross margin was 45%, lower than the company forecasted due to lower-than-expected amount of new chips in the product mix.

Revenue in the third quarter of 2011 was adversely impacted by 32nm yield, ramp and manufacturing issues experienced by one of our foundry partners, that limited supply of Fusion "Llano" A-series APUs. Additionally, 45nm supply was less than expected due to complexities related to the use of common tools across both technology nodes, AMD said.

“Strong adoption of AMD APUs drove a 35% sequential revenue increase in our mobile business. Despite supply constraints, we saw double digit revenue and unit shipment growth in emerging markets like China and India as well as overall notebook share gains in retail at mainstream price points. Through disciplined execution and continued innovation we will look to accelerate our growth and refine our focus on lower power, emerging markets, and the cloud,” said Rory Read, the president and chief exec of AMD.

Computing Solutions segment revenue was $1.3 billion, 6% increase sequentially and 5% year-over-year. Sequentially, higher mobile and server microprocessor revenues were partially offset by lower desktop revenue. About 90% of mobile processors shipped and about 60% of all client microprocessors were accelerated processing units. Besides, double digit growth in server processor revenue driven by significantly higher ASP.

Graphics segment revenue was $403 million, up 10% compared to the prior quarter mainly due to seasonal strength in the add-in board (AIB) market, strong demand for mobile discrete graphics at OEMs and improved product mix.

AMD expects revenue to increase 3%, plus or minus 2%, sequentially for the fourth quarter of 2011.

Well I finally built a PC with an A8 3850 and must say I am impressed with the speed of it.

Much faster than I expected, especially the graphics.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2..._Next_Year.html

AMD Reiterates Plans to Launch Fusion "Trinity" APU Very Early Next Year.

"One of the first product we launch [based on the Piledriver core] will be Trinity; we have not released an official launch date yet, but it will happen [very] early in the year," said Thomas Seifert, chief financial officer of Advanced Micro Devices, during the latest conference call with financial analysts.

AMD expects the new Trinity APUs to be not only faster than Llano, but also more available because of improved yields as well as because increased number of 32nm SOI/HKMG wafer starts starting from the fourth quarters.

"Clearly, we were disappointed with the execution around the yields in the 32nm space, and that occurred over a sustained period of time. [...] We are making progress and we're focused on it every single day, and we are seeing progress. But again, we are focused at a machine-by-machine levels, step by step, and trying to improve [...] our total yields across the board. [...] We have work to do in the execution space, and while we are making progress, we need to continue that progress. I think we are seeing that steady improvement and step by step, machine by machine, we will make that progress in 32nm. We will shift significantly more 32 nanometer product in the fourth quarter than we did in third quarter," Rory Read, the recently appointed chief executive officer of AMD, told the analysts.

I assume someone's been able patch Linux so it handles Bulldozer's schedule better?

There is a lot of kernel modules that will hit distributions in the next few months, that SHOULD increase bulldozer's multi-thread advantage.

Currently, it's a little bit hit and miss, with everything from a 40% advantage over the 2500K in FFMPEG to losing some other multi-threaded applications in linux against the same chip.

Fingers crossed more optimisation will result in some big gains.

Not sure what it means for windows though. I mean, AMD's primary market is going to be windows, isn't it?

So until windows knows how to optimise core affinity for the bulldozer, it's an architecture that's not going to pay off short term for AMD.

I assume someone's been able patch Linux so it handles Bulldozer's schedule better?

There is a lot of kernel modules that will hit distributions in the next few months, that SHOULD increase bulldozer's multi-thread advantage.

Currently, it's a little bit hit and miss, with everything from a 40% advantage over the 2500K in FFMPEG to losing some other multi-threaded applications in linux against the same chip.

Fingers crossed more optimisation will result in some big gains.

Not sure what it means for windows though. I mean, AMD's primary market is going to be windows, isn't it?

So until windows knows how to optimise core affinity for the bulldozer, it's an architecture that's not going to pay off short term for AMD.

I guess so. Windows 8 is Bullduster aware and hence run on future updates a lot better than Win 7.