SceptreCore

AMD conFusion? Forget the hype!

I guess so. Windows 8 is Bullduster aware and hence run on future updates a lot better than Win 7.

It will be interesting to see how much code AMD can get into windows.

It will be very interesting to see how much optimisation windows can get compared to linux. Obviously being open, linux can incorporate a LOT of platform specific optimisation, if required.

There is talk of offering bulldozer arch binaries for a lot of distributions too! That's only going to happen if the optimisations net substantial bonus performance. I'd say there's a lot of untapped potential for certain workloads in bulldozer, the problem is that the cores that workload is distributed to is key. Similar issue to the one Hyperthreading faced.

I guess so. Windows 8 is Bullduster aware and hence run on future updates a lot better than Win 7.

It will be interesting to see how much code AMD can get into windows.

It will be very interesting to see how much optimisation windows can get compared to linux. Obviously being open, linux can incorporate a LOT of platform specific optimisation, if required.

There is talk of offering bulldozer arch binaries for a lot of distributions too! That's only going to happen if the optimisations net substantial bonus performance. I'd say there's a lot of untapped potential for certain workloads in bulldozer, the problem is that the cores that workload is distributed to is key. Similar issue to the one Hyperthreading faced.

I guess hyperthreading has been around for a while so it's virtual built-into Windows these days.

A bit of AMD news today:

Rumors of AMD executive layoff pick up steam

There have been rumors of executive layoffs at AMD (NYSE:AMD) for a few weeks, and lately they are picking up a lot of steam. Having just spent a few days in Silicon Valley, SemiAccurate moles have confirmed that it is real, and should be happening in the next two weeks or so. Not much more to it than that, but after the last 12 rounds or so, you have to wonder how many executives are actually left at AMD?

AMD Confirms Reorganization, Layoffs, Strategy Shifts.

Advanced Micro Devices late on Thursday confirmed massive layoffs and reorganization as well as implied rather tectonic shift in its strategy. The firm plans to reduce the workforce by around 15% and intends to rebalance its workforce to better respond to modern market challenges. The massive layoffs will help AMD to ensure its profitability going forward, even in case the company decides to stick to low-profit margin business.

"Reducing our cost structure and focusing our global workforce on key growth opportunities will strengthen AMD's competitiveness and allow us to aggressively pursue a balanced set of strategic activities designed to accelerate future growth. The actions we are taking are designed to improve our ability to consistently address the needs of our global customer base and stake leadership positions in lower power, emerging markets and the cloud," said Rory Read, AMD president and chief executive officer.

AMD expects that these combined actions will create a more competitive cost structure and rebalance the company's global workforce skillsets, helping AMD to continue delivering industry-leading products while improving productivity, reducing time-to-market and better aligning with key industry trends that are expected to drive growth. The company expects to reinvest a significant portion of the savings to fund initiatives designed to accelerate AMD's strategies for lower power, emerging markets, and the cloud.

"AMD's plan to accelerate its strategies for the development of lower power devices for the emerging mobile market, and the interconnect between such devices and the cloud in the next year is the right thing for the company to be doing. The shift in consumable media on highly portable devices like tablets is an unmistakable and unstoppable trend, and one which the BOD of AMD was afraid they might have missed. This is a clear declaration that AMD intends to be a participant and I think they have the technology to do it," said Jon Peddie, the principal analyst at Jon Peddie Research.

AMD expects that the restructuring plan will result operational savings of approximately $10 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 and $118 million in 2012, primarily through a reduction of its global workforce by approximately 10% and the termination of existing contractual commitments. The workforce reduction will occur across all functions globally and is expected to be substantially completed by the end of the first quarter of 2012. Based on anticipated savings from the restructuring plan, AMD expects fourth quarter 2011 operating expenses will be approximately $610 million.

As a result of implementing efficiencies across the company's operations, AMD expects to save approximately $90 million in 2012 operating expenses in addition to the restructuring plan savings, resulting in more than $200 million of expected combined operational savings in 2012. The savings were not necessary and may play a bad joke with AMD. At least, analyst Jon Peddie believes that the company was already lean.

"AMD was far from fat. And they were making a profit. I don't see any need for such a huge cutback," said Mr. Peddie.

Advanced Micro Devices Set to Unveil New Strategy Next Week.

AMD Performs Massive Layoffs as It Gets Ready for New Strategy

[11/03/2011 01:50 PM]

by Anton Shilov

Advanced Micro Devices is quietly laying off massive amounts of people ahead of a major announcement that is set to take place next week, X-bit labs has learnt. The world’s second largest designer of x86 microprocessors intends to unveil its new strategy next week that will be different from the existing one.

AMD is in process of firing from 10% to 15% of staff (up to 1500 people), primarily from marketing and public relations departments, said a person familiar with the ongoing situation, who declined to be identified as the proceedings are not made public at this time. AMD has laid off four vice presidents, including Patrick Moorhead (corporate vice president of strategy and corporate fellow), Dave Kroll (vice president of global communications) and two others.

The massive layoffs in the marketing/communications/PR departments are conditioned by several factors, X-bit labs understands. Firstly, the new chief executive Rory Read is expected to hire a new chief marketing officer shortly. Secondly, the company is about to reveal a new strategy, which will cause a number of changes within the chip designer.

AMD wants to put more efforts into consumer-oriented product designs, another person, who also asked not to be identified, with knowledge of the plans revealed. In particular, the code-named Bobcat micro-architecture, which powers the company’s popular Brazos platform, will play a much more important role in the company’s future that it was previously planned. In approximately one year the company shipped 20 million Brazos (Zacate, Ontario, etc.) chipsets for netbooks and low-power notebooks, a large number. Going forward, the firm will attempt to introduce flavours of Brazos aimed at tablets, consumer products and other devices.

What is unclear is what AMD plans to do with its high-performance and server offerings. While it is hard to expect the company to completely get rid of them, it is believed that the company will change its corporate targets and rebalance investments.

AMD did not comment on the news-story.

Open64 Compiler Tuning On AMD Bulldozer FX-8150

Quite some performance gains to be had with compiler tweaking.

AMD and Penguin Build World's First HPC Cluster Based on Fusion APUs.

Edited by mark84

Let's see, sack all the marketing and PR when Bulldozer was technical lemon anyway ... yeah, that works.

Let's see, sack all the marketing and PR when Bulldozer was technical lemon anyway ... yeah, that works.

Well PR did ruin the "FX" brand. Id fire them too, I cant believe they actually resurrected the FX brand for cpus that obviously where not up to the task, nostalgia isn't a good card to play when your product doesn't live up or exceed the current competition.

Edited by nobodyishere

It's like watching a series of trainwrecks. Hopefully they do concentrate successfully on making a thing that can do fast computering, but TBH I just don't know if they or the Bulldozer base are up to it.

Well, I know that uni are happy with the Bulldozer servers they have. The admin who I'm friends with are quite surprised how well Bulldozer is for servers. And that's probably needed given how the desktop doesn't work... ><

Well, I know that uni are happy with the Bulldozer servers they have. The admin who I'm friends with are quite surprised how well Bulldozer is for servers. And that's probably needed given how the desktop doesn't work... ><

Play Battlefield 3 on the servers man!

It's like watching a series of trainwrecks. Hopefully they do concentrate successfully on making a thing that can do fast computering, but TBH I just don't know if they or the Bulldozer base are up to it.

The architecture has got legs but its just so poorly implemented. If they actually refine their design in the right way then it could be a very nice cpu BUT if they don't do it.... I think its good bye enthusiast AMD, hell that's been coming since Core2 but you know "last nail" "straw that broke" etc.

The thing that I find a little worrying is that AMD has lernt that if you put all your dollars into being the best then you find out that you still cant match the other team what are you left with? But if you really fund the midrange and beat them on price to performance.... Look at Llano its a great part and better overall then the competing intel solution but its not high end.

The architecture has got legs but its just so poorly implemented. If they actually refine their design in the right way then it could be a very nice cpu BUT if they don't do it.... I think its good bye enthusiast AMD, hell that's been coming since Core2 but you know "last nail" "straw that broke" etc.

The thing that I find a little worrying is that AMD has lernt that if you put all your dollars into being the best then you find out that you still cant match the other team what are you left with? But if you really fund the midrange and beat them on price to performance.... Look at Llano its a great part and better overall then the competing intel solution but its not high end.

TBH - as long as that leaves us with a viable competitor in the x86 market I'd be happy with their concentrating resources - much better to have some competition to Intel in the mainstream and lose the enthusiast, rather than to have a single x86 manufacturer (well... with respect to VIA). Like you I worry it's kind of 'that bad', but I wonder if concentrating on the retail midrange isn't really that bad an idea, particularly if BD really does measure up ok as server silicon.

Right now the 4-core FX chip is priced very close to the cheapest Core i3. I wonder how they'd go in a head to head

Right now the 4-core FX chip is priced very close to the cheapest Core i3. I wonder how they'd go in a head to head

You'd think it'd be better ...

Well, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get one to see what's what.

@ philo, I might need your help in comparing this broken mess...

Would be happy to help. No-one's sent us anything above an FX-8200 so far but will bug my guy if it's soemthing you'd like to do.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21954

AMD guts PR team; move portends more changes

We knew yesterday's news of mass layoffs at AMD would involve lots of people—roughly 1,400—losing their jobs around the globe, never a happy development. We understood the situation to be wide-ranging when news filtered in of some executive layoffs, including marketing guru Patrick Moorhead and graphics product manager Carrell Killebrew, whose role in the RV870's development was famously chronicled at AnandTech. What's become clear in the hours since the announcement is that some parts of the company were definitely hit harder than others.

One of the areas hardest hit is the relatively high-visibility public relations team, which has been reduced to a shell of its former self. We've worked with AMD's PR and reviews team extensively over time, of course, and happen to know quite a few of the people who worked there. All evening and into this morning, the tweets, emails, IMs, and Facebook posts have kept coming in as members of that team have notified folks they are no longer at AMD. From what we can gather, virtually the entire team has been gutted, with only one high-ranking manager from the graphics group confirmed to be remaining. We've heard those who were let go had no sense it was coming, no warning that the layoffs would be this deep or affect the entire group.

The timing seems particularly harsh given the fact that most of the individuals involved had just finished working very hard on one of the most difficult tasks in the industry: introducing a grossly underperforming product—the Bulldozer-based FX processors—to the public.

In a particularly prickly bit of irony, some early news stories about the layoffs were laced with disingenuous spin. They laid the blame for AMD's problems on the health of the overall PC market in the face of rising interest in smart phones and tablets. That interpretation seems rather warped, given that Intel enjoyed record earnings in its latest quarter, as part of a string of record performances, and Microsoft did, too. The data seem to indicate PC growth has slowed among consumers, but growth does continue.

An early AP story that offered the tablets-and-phones spin has since been updated with a more nuanced version, and one senses that the sentiments expressed about the state of the PC market came directly from the top at AMD. Thus, the updated story includes some interesting indicators about what's next for AMD. Apparently the company's board has a definite mission for its new CEO:

Read's job in large part is to help devise a strategy for AMD to penetrate computing markets where it and rival Intel Corp. have been largely absent. The battle has taken on a new dimension as AMD's and Intel's market share in PCs has reached a steady balance for years -- Intel's chips are in about 80 percent of the world's PCs, and AMD's are in essentially the rest.

Not having much presence in mobile devices has hurt AMD more than Intel because of its smaller size and it was a key reason AMD ousted Read's predecessor, Dirk Meyer, in January.

The firm's future is beginning to look like it will be focused on ever-smaller integrated chips, like the Brazos APU, intended for smaller, lower-power computing devices.

The question now is whether AMD will continue to participate robustly in its traditional markets for desktop PCs, workstations, and servers—and if so, whether it intends to field truly competitive products in the high-end and mid-range segments where Intel has been so difficult to defeat in recent years. Whipping the Bulldozer microarchitecture into shape, given its current competitive position, would likely involve a substantial ongoing investment. If there is a major shift to low-power and mobile-oriented devices, the relatively successful desktop graphics business could be another casualty—although that's just speculation at this point.

Eventually, Read and his rapidly forming new executive team will have to articulate a new strategy to AMD shareholders and the general public. Given everything we've seen to date, we expect sweeping changes in AMD's direction to be announced, once that time comes.

Update 1:55PM: We have confirmed that AMD has retained at least three senior members of its PR staff. However, we've also learned the cuts appear to have affected marketing nearly as deeply as PR. We're still trying to confirm some departures.

Also, according to the purported email about the layoffs sent to AMD employees, new CEO Read plans to "share more insights into our strategy and path forward in my upcoming Worldcast on November 9th."

Edit: Formatting

Edited by mark84

Would be happy to help. No-one's sent us anything above an FX-8200 so far but will bug my guy if it's soemthing you'd like to do.

You mean the FX-8150 :P

Anyway, I think the majority of the FXs are the 4100, 6100 and as well as the 8120. I'm going to pick up the 8120 probably at the end of the month so I can get this build done and dusted.

Nah definite typo on my part but meant the FX-8120. We have a fair few quads and hexes but only a very few octo-cores, and no FX-8150's :/

Nah definite typo on my part but meant the FX-8120. We have a fair few quads and hexes but only a very few octo-cores, and no FX-8150's :/

-

I do think the majority of octas in retailers are FX-8120s as the 8150 seems to be cherry picked FX-8120s to be honest. I haven't seen a retailer offering a FX-8150 and I haven't seen them in the stock list or otherwise.

Been a very hectic few months for AMD. The sackings are pretty sad. Whatever they are doing, I hope it works for them

I'll say this though, I doubt I'll build an AMD system any time soon

Been a very hectic few months for AMD. The sackings are pretty sad. Whatever they are doing, I hope it works for them

I'll say this though, I doubt I'll build an AMD system any time soon

Well, I suppose some heads had to roll given the savaging the media gave to AMD and as well as the lack of communication between parties. But I wasn't fully expecting a complete savaging of the PR guys.

And in all honesty, people expected too much and Intel had shifted the goalposts further than AMD anticipated. True, their graphics division is propping them up but that's a different market. Eventually, I will be sad if everyone didn't give a flying pig about competition now.