Sign in to follow this  
Harro2

Harros' Recommended Build. Critique welcome!

Hey, I got bored so descided to build a computer if I had the money :D This is what I would get and recommend to you if your in the market to buy a new gaming rig and have under $2.5k to spend.

This build as a Complete Price/performance Gaming/gerneral purpose RIG.

Parts and price guide from PCCG

Barebones

CPU $245 Intel Core i5 750

MB $179 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R Motherboard

RAM $175 G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI (2x2GB) DDR3 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14097

GPU $359 Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 Overclocked 1GB

HDD $ 99 Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

DVDRW$ 45 BenQ DW240S 24x Internal DVD±RW Drive Retail Box

CASE $129 Xigmatik UTGard Tower Case – Mesh Panel http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14096

PSU $105 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular

OS $135 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Sub-total$1471

Complete the system

Hsink $ 39 Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion Edition http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=7943

SSD $439 A-RAM Ultra II Series 100GB SSD

LCD $229 BenQ G2420HD 24 Inch LCD Monitor http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12310

SPK $ 49 Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System

KB $ 49 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard

Mouse $ 75 CoolerMaster CM Storm Sentinel Gaming Mouse http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12809

Plug $ 30 Huntkey Power Surge Protector - 8 Outlets http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13128

Sub-total $910

Total $2376

http://s2.postimage.org/aUgy0-56b8dfef2203...acc420516cc.png

Feel free to critique :P I await your opinions

EDIT

Ok cheers every one for there opinions. Thank you all very much. After hearing them I have refined the build to make it cheaper for i5-750 build and used MSY, PCCG and Austins for pricing to come up with a $2k budet.

Barebones

CPU: $245 I5-750 (Austins)

MoBo:$149 Gigabyte P55A-UD3R (Austins)

RAM: $145 4GB Kit DDR3 1600 G.Skill-Ripjaws (MSY)

GFX: $342 Gigabyte HD5850 1GB (MSY)

HHD: $ 55 500GB Western Digital Sata Internal (MSY)

DVD: $ 26 Liteon SATA DVDRW (MSY)

PSU: $115 Seasonic M12-II 80plus Bronze 520(MSY)

CASE:$129 Xigmatik UTGard Tower Case- Mesh Panel (PCCG)

Sub-Total:$1317

ADD ons

HsinkF:$ 39 Xigmatik HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion Edition (PCCG)

LCD: $208 23" Asus VH232T-HD-SPK (MSY)

SSD: $229 64GB G.Skill Falcon II (MSY)

SPK: $ 88 Hyundai Z-Gamer21 Z Series Ultimate (MSY)

KeyBrd:$ 49 Miscorsoft Sidewinder X4 (MSY)

Mouse: $ 29 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explore 3.0 (Austins)

Surge: $ 39 Belkin F9H400au2M 4-way Surge Protector (Austins)

SUb-Total:$681

Total:$1998

Note:

MSY not to sure on the reliablity of MSY to stock Gigabyte HD5850 @ $342 most places have them for around $360+, in perth MSY only had ASUS for $369.

Austins prices are thier online price

Edited by Harro2

I would drop that large SSD for a 60gig one for the OS, and use the money to get an i7, if I was going to spend 2.5k it would be on an i7 system for sure.

2.5k and not even i7? 5870? for 2.5k you could get a much better system than that.

I would drop that large SSD for a 60gig one for the OS, and use the money to get an i7, if I was going to spend 2.5k it would be on an i7 system for sure.

Feel free to post your i7 build complete system for under $2500 dont forget mouse, speakers, monitor, keyboard, SSD, heatsing/fan, surgeprotecter:)

Its actually under $1500 and the complete build is an extra ~$1000 for everything else.

EDIT to avoid double post.

I was probably a bit too defensive and posted too fast with out giving your critique much thought.

I have research every part extensively and found i5 750-HD5850-4GB RAM combo is more than enough to play every game out to date and do it very very well 1080p 24inch monitor.

What I have done is include parts that compromise best for perfomance for as little $$$ as possible

I costed an i7-930-HD5870-6GB build but its more expensive and unnessisary, quite simply its not needed but more a nice to have.

If you notice the compete system like mouse, keyboard, monitor, SSD, speakers, heatsing/fan, surgeprotecter are not all the cheapest money can buy and definatly not the best iether. I chose them because thay are good value and resonable quality. The 100GB sandforce contoller SSD in this build can easly be swaped for something else if you feel the price is too high.

Edited by Harro2

Feel free to post your i7 build complete system for under $2500 dont forget mouse, speakers, monitor, keyboard, SSD, heatsing/fan, surgeprotecter:)

Its actually under $1500 and the complete build is an extra ~$1000 for everything else.

I don't go through all the trouble of posting a complete build for a hypothetical build, but if you drop the big SSD as I suggested then the i7 would fit in your build for 2.5k.

Critique welcome!

You stink, loser!

System seems fine mostly. I'd get either a better quality or generic power board - I've got no faith in Huntkey being any better than $5 generic board. I'd also get a more reputable PSU.

The surge protector really isn't part of the build...

Personally I feel that the mouse, speakers, monitor and the keyboard are all personal choices. The mouse I use has mostly bad reviews everywhere yet I love it. Same with my keyboard (10 dollar generic one =D)

You want an i7 build for under 2500? Here's one. (Prices mainly from MSY)

Intel Core i7 930 $335

Gigabyte EX-58-UD3R $258

HIS 5870. $440 (might not have MW2)

g.skill 6GB 2000mhz memory $255

Corsair 800D case $385 (if your really want to buy all the shit that Harro's has said I need to include in this build then get a cheaper case.)

Prolimatech Mehalems $68

OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD $250

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $100

Corsair HX-650W PSU $152

Total: $2243.

You already have 300 bucks left for general components and if you need more you can easily sacrifice a couple of things like the nice case.

Personally I feel that the mouse, speakers, monitor and the keyboard are all personal choices. The mouse I use has mostly bad reviews everywhere yet I love it. Same with my keyboard (10 dollar generic one =D)

Intel Core i7 930 $335

Gigabyte EX-58-UD3R $258

Corsair 800D case $385 (if your really want to buy all the shit that Harro's has said I need to include in this build then get a cheaper case.)

Prolimatech Mehalems $68

OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD $250

Corsair HX-650W PSU $152

You already have 300 bucks left for general components and if you need more you can easily sacrifice a couple of things like the nice case.

you forgot to include

Heatsink fan

keyboard

mouse

speakers

powerboard

Monitor

Intel Core i7 930 $335

Gigabyte EX-58-UD3R $258

Prolimatech Mehalems $68

OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD $250

Corsair HX-650W PSU $152

you forgot to include

Heatsink fan

keyboard

mouse

speakers

powerboard

Monitor

So much for reading your post raxo55 lol :)

Edited by bowiee

Critique welcome!

You stink, loser!

System seems fine mostly. I'd get either a better quality or generic power board - I've got no faith in Huntkey being any better than $5 generic board. I'd also get a more reputable PSU.

I stink, loser?

I looked at reviews for the OCZ 600W and seemed to be pretty good modular and quiet performer for a PSU around $100.

For around $109 you could get a Corsair VX-550, would this be better?

Agree with powerboard, I just chose the cheapest on PCcasegear.

Intel Core i7 930 $335

Gigabyte EX-58-UD3R $258

Prolimatech Mehalems $68

OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD $250

Corsair HX-650W PSU $152

you forgot to include

Heatsink fan

keyboard

mouse

speakers

powerboard

Monitor

incorrect. I didn't forget. I decided not to. all of that is personal choices so I didn't put them in. instead I left some money for the person who is building so they can choose them themselves.

EDit: maybe not the fan, that I did forget =P

Edited by raxo55

Thank you raxo55,

I saved you the trouble and priced your build using PCCG as price parts guide, I changed the SSD I think G.skill Falcon II 64gb is better from the forums I have read and the people that use them.

I think $385 case is over kill, but like you said, these things are personal taste items. I know people dont have to copy exactly every part/item, like mouse and keyboard. I chose them becasue I like them :)

And I know some parts can be cheaper if you shop around , PPCG isnt too bad though.

Raxo55's i7 build

Barebones

CPU $359 i7 930

MB $279 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard

RAM $289 G.Skill Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD (3x2GB) DDR3

GPU $539 HIS ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB Modern Warfare 2 Edition

HDD $ 99 Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

DVDRW $ 35 BenQ DW240S 24x Internal DVD±RW Drive Retail Box

CASE $385 Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

PSU $159 Corsair HX-650 Power Supply CMPSU-650HX

OS $135 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Sub-total$2279

Complete System build

Hsink $ 68 Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B

FAN $ 29 Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fan

SSD $239 G.Skill Falcon II 64GB SSD

LCD $229 BenQ G2420HD 24 Inch LCD Monitor

SPK $ 49 Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker System

Mouse $ 75 CoolerMaster CM Storm Sentinel Gaming Mouse

Plugs $ 30 Huntkey Power Surge Protector - 8 Outlets

Sub-total$768

Total$3047

Wow... this thread is a really good idea. Atomic has nothing like it.

nothing. :P

SHHHHHHHHHHHH ;)

Thank you SceptreCore for your sarcasm.. I read that thread before starting this thread. Infact ive been a regular at atomic for over 8 years (had to change avitar few years ago, wouldnt let me log in, I forgot password I think) and owned my first PC in 1995, Pentium2 and CC64 in 1989.

I think most of you have missed the point of this thread. Its NOT about I can BUY such and such part cheaper so get a killer system for same price.

THIST POST is more about, I think that part is no good please dont get it becasue....I recommend this instead. As has been talked about with PSU and Powerboard.

The build is what "I" recomend, what "I would" get and "my" opinion. After extensively researching every part (reviews/youtube/forums/personal taste/atomic) that is what I come up with.

I chose i5 750-HD5850-4GB rig becasue it is more than you need to play games and do it very well (24"1080p res) and expect it to last 2-3years and easy to upgrade the GPU later as required.

I could easly build an i7 930-HD5870-6GB rig but consider it highend, not needed and too costly(my opnion).

I currently have E6850-8800gts-2GB rig that plays any game I throw at it (22"1050p res) I think I should just throw in a new graphics card and 2x1GB stix of 800MHz DDR2 RAM in it.

Im going to upgrade my current rig in a few weeks with this-----

PCcasegear

GPU $359 Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 Overclocked 1GB

SSD $439 A-RAM Ultra II Series 100GB SSD

Shipping $26

Austins

OS $122 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Mice$ 69 CoolerMaster CM Storm Sentinal Gaming Mouse

RAM $? 2x1GB stix of 800MHz DDR2 RAM

$1064

well tbh i'm sick of typical builds and thought i'd add a little sugar n spice to the mix so heres something that may/may not surprise you guys:

CPU: i7 930 $335

HSF: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Red Scorpion Edition $39

MB: ASRock X58 Extreme3 $239

RAM: G.Skill PI Series F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI 6GB $259

GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB V2 Voltage Tweak $509

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB $99

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular $119

DVDRW: ASUS DRW-24B1LT LightScribe $49

CASE: Xigmatik UTGard $129

MONITOR: BenQ V2420H 24 Inch Widescreen LED $329

KEYBOARD: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 $49

MOUSE: CM Storm Sentinel $75

SPK: Logitech X-230 2.1 $49

OTHERS: Huntkey Power Surge Protector $30

TOTAL: $2444 all from pccg

i've only modified the core items and left the rest unchanged plus the ssd was left out as i think is a total waste of money(you could always add one in later).

Edited by d-code

You might want to rethink that one there buddy...

+1 to what mudg3 said. Unusual choice there.

Go with Asus or Gigabyte.

+1 to what mudg3 said. Unusual choice there.

Go with Asus or Gigabyte.

What's wrong with the Asrock board? It's scored really well in all the reviews I've read, and value wise its hard to beat.